Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nathan Jones' Comments on the Atmosphere this Saturday

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Nathan Jones seems to get a lot of stick. Why?

I appreciate he was a bit of a knob when we last fielded a side against him. He's a one man team...

I don't know......

It's a strange one. He was a bit of a fan's favourite at Withdean, especially with his trickery skills, but then wound us up at Yeovil.

Warming to him slightly now, but reading stuff like that it's just.... exactly what he's meant to say. I get the feeling that his heart and soul are not with Brighton. Of course he's going to praise the fans, and urge us to create a good atmosphere. He would do the same if he was assistant manager at Arsenal or Rochdale. My impression at the moment is that he is probably good at his job (although the signings apparently secured via his connections haven't been great), but that he has no real affection for our club.

Last edited:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It's a job, a promotion doing what he's studied to do. A great opportunity at a club he used to play for. It's convenient and of course he'll say that the Albion has the best fans, is a club he loves, etc etc but as another poster said he'd say that wherever he is. He's articulate and knows the right things to say, and knows what's said needs to be said with passion. Trouble is it doesn't come across as being entirely genuine.

He is a competitor and loves winning. Can't criticise him for that but he comes across as being a bit of a weasel, whereas someone like OGH has the same attitudes but comes across as a warrior.

Sometimes it comes down to the way people look and the way they look at you. Jury's still out for NJ after 13? Years

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Don't know what it is but I simply do not like NJ. I don't know why. He might be doing a fantastic job at the club, however, his interviews and press conferences annoy the daylights out of me. My dislike of the man has nothing to do with his antics at Yeovil - just can't put my finger on why I don't like him. Sorry Nathan.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
His interviews are patronising and insulting of the intelligence of fans.

All the normal cliches are said, really fast, without meaning, without passion, without trying to really connect to the fans.

I know some of his antics around Brighton "nightlife world" when he was a player........so for me he is a knob.

It's sad as i like to like the staff.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
His interviews are patronising and insulting of the intelligence of fans.

All the normal cliches are said, really fast, without meaning, without passion, without trying to really connect to the fans.

I know some of his antics around Brighton "nightlife world" when he was a player........so for me he is a knob.

It's sad as i like to like the staff.
So your holding against him the possibility he might not be comfortable doing the media work, but doesn't really have a choice.
Plus when he was younger living in a vibrant city, as a fairly 'big fish' with money to burn, he was a bit of a knob.

Tough crowd.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Back to his points he is bang on . Might not always go our way in these games but we need to give it loads . Make it as intimidating as possible . Plenty of beer and go for it . Critical 2 games

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
All football interviews are patronising and insulting to fans. That's because quite often the questions they get asked are standard or stupid.

I don't get the NJ hatred. I think he's great. I thought he was highly entertaining at the Withdean and contributed towards a very successful period in Albion's history. He's got a mouth on him granted, but so what? He uses it for what he believes are the right ends. He has Albion's interests at heart. I like the bloke.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Back to his points he is bang on . Might not always go our way in these games but we need to give it loads . Make it as intimidating as possible . Plenty of beer and go for it . Critical 2 games

100%

I may have a merlot though. Or perhaps a cheeky daiquiri.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
So your holding against him the possibility he might not be comfortable doing the media work, but doesn't really have a choice.

Anyone not comfortable talking about their profession to a camera, microphone, or small group, is 100% for sure, no denials, in the wrong profession.

I don't see him as uncomfortable, just insulting of the fans intelligence.....but then again, reading much of this board.....maybe not huh?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The reason why Nathan speaks so much is because Oscar doesn't like it. Oscar gives off the impression that speaking to the media is profoundly boring. He likes working with players on the training pitch, and instilling his ideas about football. Which is fine by me.
And as to Nathan's point about the next two games: he's right. I'm not sure that I'm in a position to comment on his commitment to the club.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Anyone not comfortable talking about their profession to a camera, microphone, or small group, is 100% for sure, no denials, in the wrong profession.

I don't see him as uncomfortable, just insulting of the fans intelligence.....but then again, reading much of this board.....maybe not huh?

So now you're insulting the people on this board. If Nathan Jones is insulting the fans intelligence, how are you doing any better?

Far better to say that he divides opinion, that's all. However, even though he divides opinion, he's hardly damaging to the Albion is he?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
It's a job, a promotion doing what he's studied to do. A great opportunity at a club he used to play for. It's convenient and of course he'll say that the Albion has the best fans, is a club he loves, etc etc but as another poster said he'd say that wherever he is. He's articulate and knows the right things to say, and knows what's said needs to be said with passion. Trouble is it doesn't come across as being entirely genuine.

He is a competitor and loves winning. Can't criticise him for that but he comes across as being a bit of a weasel, whereas someone like OGH has the same attitudes but comes across as a warrior.

Sometimes it comes down to the way people look and the way they look at you. Jury's still out for NJ after 13? Years

Incorrect. The Jury of my friends and I made it's verdict on Jones 10 years ago when in the programme notes at Withdean when asked whether he was happy at the Albion he stated 'Yes, until a bigger club come in for me'
Shameful comment esp given his limited talent...then Yeovil.
A leopard....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here