Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England 1XI

seagulls99

Feb 10, 2012
What would be your starting 11 for the first WC game against Italy?

Hart
Walker
Cahill
Jagielka
Baines

Gerrard
Henderson
Wilshere/Lallana

Sterling
Sturridge
Rooney

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I'm not convinced with Henderson, I would start Carrick instead. That will also give Steven a bit of freedom to get further forward.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Hart,
Walker Jagielka Cahill Baines,
Gerrard Wilshere,
Sterling Lalana Chamberlain,
Sturridge

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I'm not convinced with Henderson, I would start Carrick instead. That will also give Steven a bit of freedom to get further forward.

Gerrard was rubbish at the start of the season in a more forward role. Now he is playing deeper, he is playing much better. Henderson is on form at the moment and would play him.

Oct 25, 2003
main concerns for me are centre back and right back. Don't feel like we have anyone particularly convincing there. Jagielka and Cahill are both decent enough but really it would preferably be one of them alongside a commanding behemoth. As for right back, both Johnson and Walker are quick and offer alright options going forward, however their attacking attributes are nowhere near good enough to mask the fact that neither of them are good enough defensively.

Hart

Johnson Jagielka Cahill Baines

Gerrard Carrick Wilshire (or Lallana if Wilshire is unfit)

Sterling Sturridge Rooney

Any team without Carrick shows a lack of football intelligence.

I've got friends that trot similar lines out as well, but I don't buy it. We're shit with him in the team, I struggle to believe we could be much shitter with him out of the team. Yes he's quite good at keeping possession in an unoffensive way but he's not mobile (so doesn't present great coverage of the back four) doesn't tend to pick out offensive passes and has a tendency to slow the speed of play down (which I don't think plays to England's strengths). I certainly think having him and Gerrard (playing more defensively than previously) in the same team would lead to our midfield sitting too deep and not being mobile enough.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I'm surprised how many people have Wilshire in their team. I've watched him carefully this season and he's been very poor.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Tend to think Wilshire is a bit over-hyped to be honest. Talented player, but not as influential as some make out. If Arsenal had a fully fit squad I am not even sure he would be a certain starter at The Emirates when you consider he would be competing against Ramsey, Arteta, Flamini, Walcott, Ozil, Cazorla, Rosicky and Oxlade-Chamberlain for the five positions behind Giroud.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
We desperately need at least a draw against Italy, losing would be a complete disaster and put us on the back foot against Uruguay.

Hart
Johnson Jagielka Cahill Baines
Gerrard Carrick Lallana
Sterling Sturridge Chamberlain

But I'd be tempted to have Milner play just to make us tougher to beat.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Hart

Johnson
Jagielka
Cahill
Baines

Gerrard
Henderson

Lallana
Rooney
Welbeck

Sturridge

FRYG

Bexhill Seagull
Apr 13, 2011
Bexhill
Hart

Johnson
Shawcross (probably get slated for this)
Cahill
Baines

Gerrard
Henderson
Stirling
Lallana

Rooney
Sturridge

Based on form, would be half tempted to drop Rooney because he never does well for England and seems to drag the whole team down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here