Crimean parliament unanimously votes in favour of becoming part of Russia

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/03/06/uk-ukraine-idUKBREA1H0EM20140306

How is this being allowed to happen.

A land invasion of a European State and nobody is doing anything to stop it. :(

And no, this doesn't mean Chechnya can go it alone. Firstly, because seperation is a crime in Russia punishable with five years in prison and because Chechnya has already had a referendum in 2003! Astonishingly, Putin won in Chechnya with 99.76% votes and 99.61% turnout in 2012.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
to be fair, i understand the region voted to leave Ukraine and join Russia a while ago, where upon the Ukrainian government removed the local Crimean leadership from office. this isn't something that just came up last week.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Crimea is Russian was given us a token gesture to Ukraine in 1954

If only they knew back then the problems it would cause by tidying up the map of the USSR.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
How can it still be Russian if Russia gave it away?

They ceded it to Ukraine as a gift to celebrate the 300 year partnership between Russia and Ukraine in 1954. The Soviet leader at the time , Kruschchev was born in Ukraine. After the break up of the Soviet Union the Russian parliament voted in 1992 to make the 1954 secession null and void so since then has considered it to be part of Russia.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
They ceded it to Ukraine as a gift to celebrate the 300 year partnership between Russia and Ukraine in 1954. The Soviet leader at the time , Kruschchev was born in Ukraine. After the break up of the Soviet Union the Russian parliament voted in 1992 to make the 1954 secession null and void so since then has considered it to be part of Russia.

So I assume the Ukraine also voted to give it back to Russia in 1992, clearly both sides would have to agree not just one?

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
As I read it , it is down to the 2m inhabitants of Crimea that will decide on the 16th March , so not official , although I can see this only going one way ! To be fair at least it is a democratic decision to ask the people unlike Kiev !

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So I assume the Ukraine also voted to give it back to Russia in 1992, clearly both sides would have to agree not just one?

By the way, 'THE' Ukraine is a Soviet/Russian term for Ukraine as a region within USSR.

You can offend some Ukrainians with this term, perhaps particularly now, and the country is officially known as Ukraine.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
By the way, 'THE' Ukraine is a Soviet/Russian term for Ukraine as a region within USSR.

You can offend some Ukrainians with this term, perhaps particularly now, and the country is officially known as Ukraine.

A bit like THE Withdean then.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Is this just the same argument we used in respect of the Falklands?

With regard to the Crimea, let's be honest, it has only been part of the Ukraine since 1954 so there is hardly a 'Ukrainian' legacy there. Of course, whilst there is going to be a vote, who is going to ensure it isn't rigged!!!! Also, whilst there is a majority of ethnic Russians, it is not an overwhelming majority and would only take a few of them to prefer to be with Ukraine to throw a spanner in the works.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Crimea is an autonomous region within Ukraine. It has a separate parliament. Crimea now wants to be part of the Russian Federation instead of Ukraine. There are two viewpoints , one is Crimea is part of Ukraine as the Russian population isn't indigenous due to the Tatars who were deported to Siberia , Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan and replaced by other Russians (Soviets) of different ethnicity because Stalin believed they were collaborating with the Nazis during WW2. The second viewpoint is Russia has wanted Crimea back in the fold for over 20 years and now the opportunity has arisen for this to happen.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Crimea is an autonomous region within Ukraine. It has a separate parliament. Crimea now wants to be part of the Russian Federation instead of Ukraine. There are two viewpoints , one is Crimea is part of Ukraine as the Russian population isn't indigenous due to the Tatars who were deported to Siberia , Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan and replaced by other Russians (Soviets) of different ethnicity because Stalin believed they were collaborating with the Nazis during WW2. The second viewpoint is Russia has wanted Crimea back in the fold for over 20 years and now the opportunity has arisen for this to happen.

Crimea is in fact a semi-autonomous state which means it cannot decide on its own to change from one country to another, legally it does not have the power on its own

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Bit different though isn't it, they've agreed to have a referendum?

Not sure if this was referring to my comment about the Falklands but if it was, the Falklands also had a referendum not that long ago. (If it wasn't referring to my post then ignore this reply!!).

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Crimea is in fact a semi-autonomous state which means it cannot decide on its own to change from one country to another, legally it does not have the power on its own

Basically they can ignore any legal niceties with a phone call to Vladimir Putin once the referendum is held on becoming part of Russia :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here