Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

QPR could face fine of up to £47m if they get promoted (FFP)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The article says they will get the £47m fine if they DO get promoted.

That is contrary to what I understood for FFP where if you gamble and 'win' you escape FFP penalties. It's hard to see how the Football League could impose a penalty upon a club it no longer has any control over (i.e. one that has moved from Football League -> Premier League).

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The potential £47M fine (all going to charity) is if they GET promoted this season.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
So it is. My bad.

Thread title edited

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

That is contrary to what I understood for FFP where if you gamble and 'win' you escape FFP penalties. It's hard to see how the Football League could impose a penalty upon a club it no longer has any control over (i.e. one that has moved from Football League -> Premier League).

That was my understanding

I really do see FFP as a half baked idea .. like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

I'd much rather see the FL limiting a clubs ability to rack up debt, no matter who it is owed to. Limit the debt to what can reasonabley be serviced from it's revenues

Contrary to many others on here I don't see an issue if the likes of Fernandez wants to gift his money or convert debt to equity ... but if they don't go up he can pull the plug and take every penny out he can get his hands on and leave them busto ... along with a load of the other creditors I guess

The fine is only for promoted teams. Teams that don't get promoted are hit with a transfer ban instead. The concession of fees going to charity rather than other clubs was made because the Premier League weren't happy with the idea of one of their members giving funds to paltry FL teams, which implies (although I don't know this) that the PL are willing to accept the idea of promoted teams being fined.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Agreed. Which is why I think clubs that break the rules and get promoted should get a suspended punishment until they next enter the FL. Let's say they are due a fine of £40m - they can decide to pay it or the league can add 10% each year to the total as well as a points deduction of 5 points for every year they decide not to pay the fine. Given most clubs that get promoted from the Championship get relegated fairly soon it would certainly give them food for thought.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Money is all Redknapp knows or cares about. Everywhere he's gone there's been allegations of dubious money transactions and massive overspending. This is the man that jumped between Portsmouth to Southampton and back again not giving a shite about club rivalries and leaving both when either the money ran out or relegation loomed, but had the audacity to return to Pompey to collect the freedom if the city bestowed on him.
When Q.P.R's usefulness runs out he'll spit them out and be off again. And if Fernandez is silly enough to keep throwing money at him, they deserve everything they get

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It is ONLY teams that get promoted that get fined. The only change is that the fine goes to charity, not to the Championship clubs that are complying with FFP.

You're right, yes. The 'gamble and win' thing was that if you go up any fines would be adequately covered by the Premier League windfall.

Seems QPR are trying to disprove that theory...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Let's hope the FL grow some balls.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
It is ONLY teams that get promoted that get fined. The only change is that the fine goes to charity, not to the Championship clubs that are complying with FFP.

I thought it was to shared out with all the teams that applied to the FFP, I guess as eluded to in another post the Premiership teams did not like that idea so it was changed. How the rich look after themselves eh, sick to honest. FFP is not fair, even if you stick to the rules. And anyway if a team that failed to go up then has a transfer embargo would that not still hinder them financially ie players on massive wages which could spiral out of control and the club sink like a stone Portsmouth Styley.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here