Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

what incentive does the current first team squad have to gain promotion?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't help thinking with the exception of Ulloa, Tommy K, and a fully fit Crofts, the rest of the team will be doing themselves out of a job.

They would seem to be too old, young, plump, injured, on loan, or out of the first team.
But still an ideal mix for being competitive in next years Championship.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
What about Ince and Dunk.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What about Ince and Dunk.
Both could do with having a full season that does not involve Suarez, Van Persie et al, running at them.

Ince could well become one of the very best, our first £20m transfer (to Barcelona).
But he's not even close to week in week out Prem football.
A full season bossing the championship v passed by in the Premier league, no contest.

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
Are you suggesting some of our players might slacken off a bit during the run-in because their future would be less certain in the Premier League?
I thought this the other day, for about ten seconds.
Life's full of uncertainties whatever league they're in. They could get crocked in training today, you never know. Go for it now because tomorrow never knows.
They're surrounded by expectation from their fellow players, backroom staff and fans. I have faith in the squad to give their all every day (OK we have our suspicions about one loanee). They wouldn't be doing themselves out of a job. If they're under contract they're still getting paid regardless of whether or not they get on the field in the PL. Also, if they get us up it looks great on the CV.
OP, you're nervous about the next two games like the rest of us. Get vocal, get behind them tomorrow. The desire is there I assure you.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are you suggesting some of our players might slacken off a bit during the run-in because their future would be less certain in the Premier League?
If that were a line in the sand, obviously I'd never step over it, but I'd be nearer to it than is healthy for competitive sport!!

Clearly nobody is going to slacken off, but I can't help feeling a further season in the Championship would induce a sense of relief, in a fair few of the squad.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Even if we did go up and as a result a bunch of players aren't good enough, they'd have little trouble attracting another good Championship side

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
I would imagine every professional footballer has the ultimate ambition to play at the highest level and if you were playing regularly in the team that was good enough to get promoted to that league that you would hope to get a contract.
If you didn't, you'd hope that another Championship club would step in and offer you a contract. Can't think of anyone in our squad who isn't worthy of a contract at Championship level. Who do we have who in our squad who is League 1 standard at best?

macky

Dec 28, 2004
How would they be doing themselves out of work surly if they were part of promotion winning squad their value would go up
plus figure in the bonus they would get I would imagine they will be very happy to gain promotion

macky

Dec 28, 2004
I would imagine every professional footballer has the ultimate ambition to play at the highest level and if you were playing regularly in the team that was good enough to get promoted to that league that you would hope to get a contract.
If you didn't, you'd hope that another Championship club would step in and offer you a contract. Can't think of anyone in our squad who isn't worthy of a contract at Championship level. Who do we have who in our squad who is League 1 standard at best?
Two goalkeepers to start with

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
If the players help Brighton to the Premiership they will find it easier to find a new clubs in the Championship and may even get a pay rise and signing on fee as other clubs would see our players as very good championship players. They will also be worried if we miss out this year as they might be looking for a new club anyway if we don't get promoted. Players move on for many reasons and I think all our players would like to be part of a team getting to Wembley and winning, then worry after who they would be working for next season.:albion2:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It does seem a slightly risky strategy to wait until the end of the season before discussing new contracts for most players. However it is very encouraging imo that players like Bruno ( in today's Argus) and Orlandi, last week, saying that they would love to stay and that they accept the club policy. I love that players want to stay and are quoted as saying how they love playing for the Albion and enjoy Oscar's management. Greer is also saying the same thing in the Argus today.

The club is in good hands when senior players come out with this sort of thing. We will probably lose some players but I'm not convinced that Tomas will do much better than staying at the Albion. I am not convinced that he is better than a good Championship keeper and there are quite a few in this division who are better imo.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I would think most of our squad have enough self belief that they'll all be confident of doing a job in the PL, regardless of what we or anyone else thinks. I doubt any of them will think they're doing themselves out of a job to be honest.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Even if we did go up and as a result a bunch of players aren't good enough, they'd have little trouble attracting another good Championship side

Sorry it was a bit early to be profound.
I meant with the Albion.

I think most ofus would agree we've got a good thing going at the club.
A great mix of experience and youth. Local and international.
The Albion could easily have another crack at promotion next season, with little change to the squad.

I can't see many senior pros wanting to leave that.
Plus as already said I don't think our 'kids' are ready yet.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I have faith in the squad to give their all every day (OK we have our suspicions about one loanee).

Assuming that's aimed at Obika, I think that's very harsh. He's always tried hard whenever he's come on, it's not his fault he's sh1t.

Agustien seems to be the only one not putting in the required effort.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
If they prove to be good enough to get us there, they will be good enough to have a crack of keeping us there. In fact Ward may even stand more chance of staying with us if we go up.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
This type of thread always pops up at this time of year. Players always want to win, it's in their nature as competitive footballers. None of them will be slackening off. And all will feel they are capable of playing in the Premiership. Why wouldn't they?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here