Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England player in 'blacking up' storm

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
If you really don't understand why a white person "blacking up" is a sensitive issue then you really must be a bit dim. Was it racist? Most probably not but the whole concept of black face is steeped in racial prejudice thus it being a sensitive issue.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If you really don't understand why a white person "blacking up" is a sensitive issue then you really must be a bit dim. Was it racist? Most probably not but the whole concept of black face is steeped in racial prejudice thus it being a sensitive issue.

Rubbish. If I wanted to go to a fancy dress party as Chris Evans I'd need to wear a ginger wig as I'm not ginger. Equally the girl was going to a fancy dress party as Whoopie Goldberg and she wasn't black - she's hardly going to look like Goldberg unless she blacks up !

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You are posting utter tripe sir, directed at the poster who thinks there actually are racial issues here.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

I'll hold my hand up to being a bit dim!

I don't see anything racist nor any racist connotations in what she did by dressing up and using makeup to imitate a well respected and admired actress.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood

what a load of old cock, ever seen the film white girls? or True Identity? were they racist? or is it acceptable for a black person to "white up" but not a white person to "black up"
Absolute ****ing idiocy!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I would say this is pro black and a good outfit to boot..,Anyone think to ask Whoopi for a view?

Reminds me of a ex footy teammate & NSCer who went to a fancy dress I attended as a used tampax, head to toe was stuck on cotton wool with a red paint squirted over his torso...20 years on, fondly remembered

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Just to clarify I never said it was racist. I said it was a sensitive issue because of the history of black face and it's connotations.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Absolutely right, you start dressing up as Whoopi Goldberg and the next thing you are opening up those cans of Zyklon B.....

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
If you go to a fancy dress party as the Incredible Hulk.....would this be offensive to aliens?.... ha ha ha

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Absolutely right, you start dressing up as Whoopi Goldberg and the next thing you are opening up those cans of Zyklon B.....

Yes because I clearly said that anyone who dons black face is a nazi.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Somebody should have stopped her before she got in the habit.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here