Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Cleverley: What exactly does he do?

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Decent midfielder, scored a few goals for Utd, won the Prem with them.

There's a train of thought, however, which suggests that if Tom didn't play for Utd he wouldn't get anywhere near the England squad.

Indeed, there's a growing internet petition for him to be banned from the World Cup squad.

Is this fair on the lad?

What does he actually do?

Do you give a fruck?

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Dont really give a monkey's in truth as long as he wastes whatever space he occupies for ManU but when he wastes the air he breathes for England I get more annoyed.
Potentially a decent player but potential is no use if you consistently fail to apply yourself.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
He keeps possession well, which it has to be said England have had a big problem doing in tournament situations. Some would say he plays the safe pass too much, i.e. like Ray Wilkins used to be seen to do, he passes sideways a fair bit. He is the type of industrious player Hodgson likes who will be prepared to track back and help defensively when the team doesn't have the ball. Same reason that he will always have James Milner in his squad, added to which Milner can play in the middle or out wide.

Wouldn't say he is especially technically gifted and he isn't blisteringly quick, but he is the type of player Hodgson would turn to where protecting a lead and he requires an all-hands-on-deck performance with the midfield to snuff out the opposition.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What does he do simple answer is very little and takes the place of a better player.

Is true.

He's won titles but so have Ashley Young, Wes Brown, John O'Shea, Anderson - not world class or even consistently great PL players by any stretch of the imagination. Mediocre players, but part of team where the world class bought-in players in the team/squad meant they competed.

At age 24, it's unlikely that Cleverly will ever turn into a consistently dominant midfielder for England. Too slow, light weight and without the skill of his mentor Scholes.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He plays football as best he can. A manager picks him. That is the end of the story.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thanks, no point in having and sharing opinions now is there.

I misread the thread to be fair, and thought it was another England fans starting a hate campaign about a particularly player that has always sickened me to be honest as they don't pick themselves.

Reading back I see the OP was only asking for opinions!

My view is that there has been a lack of alternative with Wilshere injured or out of form, Lampard and Barry lacking the pace these days, Carrick not mobile enough. He probably isn't good enough, but not entirely sure we are blessed with central midfielders who are.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
He plays football as best he can. A manager picks him. That is the end of the story.

But not at a good enough standard for the current England and ManU midfields, and with free speech still permissible, football fans can air their views even if they are critical. Sorry.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I think he is a liability. A fairly good player nothing special but has the attitude that, sadly, a lot of promising English players in the premier league seem to have. They think they are much better than they really are.
With his attitude I think he will be sure to get a red card in a vital game if selected. I don't think he is good enough for Utd let alone England.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
And its as simple as that.

Having a petition for him is pathetic, though judging by a minority of football fans these days - I am not surprised, you just have to look on here at certain times.

Seeing as all you ever do is patrol about on here preaching to everyone about how so many of us are such bad fans, why do you spend so much time on here trying to engage people that quite clearly have a different opinion to you?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Seeing as all you ever do is patrol about on here preaching to everyone about how so many of us are such bad fans, why do you spend so much time on here trying to engage people that quite clearly have a different opinion to you?

And all you ever seem to do is shout down at people who disagree with you.

By all means slate a player for being poor (even though Cleverley isnt actually THAT bad), but making a petition is a bit pathetic.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
And all you ever seem to do is shout down at people who disagree with you.

By all means slate a player for being poor (even though Cleverley isnt actually THAT bad), but making a petition is a bit pathetic.

:lol: Sorry kid, but what you just posted is utter crap, I post my own opinions, a lot of the time people disagree and so be it, I certainly don't pop up everywhere telling everybody how they should be a good fan etc.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But not at a good enough standard for the current England and ManU midfields, and with free speech still permissible, football fans can air their views even if they are critical. Sorry.

Yes I know, if you'd read I bit further you'd have seen I'd already retracted that point to Mr Freemans Perm.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here