Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Stranglers at The Dome, Thursday. (6th March)

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Who's going? :clap2: Really looking forward to this.

This will be the first time I've seen them in the post Hugh era. I saw them three times when he was with the band from 77 onwards. After 1990 I went into a self imposed exile as The Stranglers without Hugh Cornwell seemed so wrong. Having heard great live reviews and watched many clips of Baz Warne, the band sound fantastic with him as frontman. Is there life after Hugh Cornwell after all?

Roll on tomorrow night.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
They are better now. A far tighter unit with one of the greatest bass players and keyboard players of all time. I am there. It is virtually sold out now.

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Pinkie, word for word what you've written also applies to me. I've seen Hugh many times since he went his own way and the man is still fantastic. However, I bought The Stranglers' last album on the strength of its reviews and that's also terrific. As a result I'll be seeing them for the first time in 24 years on this tour - albeit in Cardiff where I now live. Would be interested to hear feedback from people going to The Dome tomorrow, just to see what I can expect.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Maybe Hamilton but only a few tickets left out of 2300. They had 100 tickets left a week ago when I brought my 2 so best to try and book online tonight http://brightondome.org/whats_on/

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Seeing them at the Hammy Odeon on Saturday. I think Baz Warne is a great guitarist and frontman, certainly an upgrade on Paul Roberts.
Check out the support band Nine Below Zero, another great live band

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I actually think The Stranglers are better now than they have ever been. I know fans have a loyalty to Hugh but to be honest Warne is a better vocalist and guitarist than Hugh ever was.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have to report, sadly this was the worst gig of the 5 in a row I have seen at the Brighton Dome. Not because they were bad, they very very very good as usual. They are brilliant musicians. It did not really get going for me as they played far too many of their obscure songs. Everyone knows the Stranglers have 40 or so superb songs from their back catalogue but also after The Raven album rather a lot of, er, not so good songs.

They for whatever reason decided to play far too many of the not so good songs. Even I as a devotee struggled to recognise half a dozen of the songs. In the first 45 minutes and around 10 songs, they played 3 most people would recognise. My friend as a result started to lose interest and thought the bar would be a better option. A good song that got the atmosphere going was followed by 3 " arthouse " songs.

For me , I want to see the aggressive and far better songs from the first 4 albums. No Stranglers gig without Down in the Sewer, Walk on By, There's always the Sun, Nuclear Device, The Raven, Toiler on the Sea, Sweden, Sometimes and many others can ever be a classic. Greenfield was also not able to shine and showcase his brilliance without in particular Down in the Sewer and Walk on By. Why would you play an obscure song and not Walk on by ?

The gig got some momentum at the end but it was sort of, too late by then. The final disappointment was Jet Black being taken ill. Good but could have been so much better and I hate to say that.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I have to report, sadly this was the worst gig of the 5 in a row I have seen at the Brighton Dome. Not because they were bad, they very very very good as usual. They are brilliant musicians. It did not really get going for me as they played far too many of their obscure songs. Everyone knows the Stranglers have 40 or so superb songs from their back catalogue but also after The Raven album rather a lot of, er, not so good songs.

They for whatever reason decided to play far too many of the not so good songs. Even I as a devotee struggled to recognise half a dozen of the songs. In the first 45 minutes and around 10 songs, they played 3 most people would recognise. My friend as a result started to lose interest and thought the bar would be a better option. A good song that got the atmosphere going was followed by 3 " arthouse " songs.

For me , I want to see the aggressive and far better songs from the first 4 albums. No Stranglers gig without Down in the Sewer, Walk on By, There's always the Sun, Nuclear Device, The Raven, Toiler on the Sea, Sweden, Sometimes and many others can ever be a classic. Greenfield was also not able to shine and showcase his brilliance without in particular Down in the Sewer and Walk on By. Why would you play an obscure song and not Walk on by ?

The gig got some momentum at the end but it was sort of, too late by then. The final disappointment was Jet Black being taken ill. Good but could have been so much better and I hate to say that.

I had a similiar experience to this for the Meninblack tour

up until then it had been RN,NMH,B&W and The Raven

The Meninblack album came as a huge shock and obviously for that tour they had to promote their new material,which I struggled to get into at that time

but now I've come to really like that album,Just Like Nothing On Earth,Second Coming,Four Horsemen and Hallow To Our Men,I consider good Stranglers songs,not classics,but good

I agree with you,the 40th anniversary should of been a celebration of all their classics,espcially as JJ is talking of calling it a day if they have to continue without Jet,which looks very likely

anyone have the songlist?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here