Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just a very good time-lapse video shot at Yosemite National Park

Happy memories of staying in Yosemite park in a cabin in 92,mrs rev on the walk back to the cabin from a bar giving it the "come and have ago if you think you are hard enough" to any bears hiding on our route back:facepalm: Things changed a bit when she could hear scratching on the outside of the cabin during the night:blush:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Thanks for posting. It brings back many, many happy memories. I think Yosemite is the most beautiful place I've ever visited, especially if you have enough time to get out of the valley floor and up into the wilderness.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thanks for posting. It brings back many, many happy memories. I think Yosemite is the most beautiful place I've ever visited, especially if you have enough time to get out of the valley floor and up into the wilderness.

I desperately want to go. I just wonder if being with kids would inhibit my enjoyment.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Yosemite is an absolutely stunning place, and along with Zion NP is one of my favourite places on the planet.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I've wanted to go there for some time, and watching that has just intensified that. Incredible video.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I desperately want to go. I just wonder if being with kids would inhibit my enjoyment.

Go if you can, it's way better than any man-made "attractions". Depends if they like walking and easy climbing.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

How old are the kids?

The valley floor is spectacularly beautiful too - 30% (?) of the film was shot there; Half Dome, El Capitan, most (all?) of the waterfall shots. The best times to go are either deep midwinter (masses of snow and way fewer daytrippers) or April-ish, when the snow has started to melt leaving the falls in full flood - in the late summer most of the falls are dry. However, and it's a big however, the valley floor is packed with day trippers during high season. Lots of cars and lots of people. It's perfectly possible to do short to medium walks along basically flat routes which will get you away from all the lardy tourists (say, to Mirror Lake), which most kids would be fine with. The best experience is, imo, to have a day or two in the valley floor in April, accepting that there will be loads of daytrippers, followed by a few days up top at, say, Tuolumne Meadows, where camping is the best option. A couple of images of the Meadows:

tm.jpgtm1.jpgcampsite.jpg

Oh, keep in mind that the Meadows is at 9k+ feet, which is high enough to cause problems for very young kids or in those with asthma.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yosemite is an absolutely stunning place, and along with Zion NP is one of my favourite places on the planet.

We went for 2 months last Autumn. Brilliant. Walked up Mt Whitney in Sequoia NP, walked in Yosemite, drove on to Zion for the main part of our trip ad the b****y government shut down over Obama Health Care and Quantitative easing meant we could not enter any national parks for our 10 days in Utah. Walked down the Grand Canyon instead and camped on the river beaches of the Colorado.

The video makes me wat to get back out there and the good news is that we now have to go back to see Zion and the Arches National Parks in Utah.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
We did Frisco,Yosemite,lake Tahoe and Vegas while visiting in San Jose,HIGHLIGHTS YOSEMITE AND VEGAS:smile:

We're planning a 6 weeker in 2016 Starting in LA (airport only!) and driving up PCH to SF, Napa, Yosemite, Tahoe, Vegas. Done it all before in bits but it's a pre retirement gig. Hoping to rent a Harley for the Tahoe - Yosemite part

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Indeed a beautiful place. Being part of the army paid to be old, I only saw it for a day passing through on a tour. As our bus drove in, somebody shouted "bear", and sure enough there was the biggish animal loping through the trees. Amazing. We went on the guided tour and the tour guide said "We have bears in the woods sometimes. Anyone ever seen a bear ?

Cue forest of geriatric arms in the air.

Wish I'd gone when I was young. My advice is, go there soonest.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Also one of my favourite places ever. What an amazing film, it really makes me want to go back....this time with the wife & kids.
One of the highlights of my trip there in '94 was passing through one of the picnic areas and seeing a bear casually wander out of the forest, climb onto a table and start eating a family's food. Everybody who was using the area just retreated to a safe distance, & when the bear finished eating it just ambled off into the woods again - & everybody just carried on with their lunches!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
This year - 4 and 11.

Stamina of my youngest would be my obvious concern.

I took mine when the youngest was 3, going on 4, and the Mirror Lake walk was fine. The harder stuff is beyond a 4-year old, imo. The Meadows have plenty of flat walks though. I think it's do-able, providing you plan carefully.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Thanks for posting, it's been nearly 30yrs since I've been there but this brought back what a stunning place it is.If anyone is out that way you must visit and don't miss the giant redwoods which are just a short drive fron the valley.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here