Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Helicopter Lessons

malleus24

Jul 27, 2013
First time poster so play nice!

I'm debating getting the girlfriend, who loves helicopters, a trial lesson for her birthday. Just wondering if anyone had done one before and what was it like - just a cheeky 5 minutes on the controls or do you actually get to do a lot of flying? Cheers!

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Not sure about heli's but had trial lesson on a fixed wing. Was able to take off and fly the thing for a trip over Sussex. In air for about 50 mins. Landing by the tutor though. Probably wise.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Absolutely fantastic. Did it for my 50th, present from the girlfriend. Only got about 15 minutes actual flying it myself though. Nothing can prepare you for its' manoueverabilty (sp) but also how "spit and sawdust" they really are. Addictive though, if you want to persue it and get your license it's going to cost about £20.000.00 and thats by 2008 prices. Mine looked like a Smart car with a javelin stuck up its' a*se.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

I'm debating getting the girlfriend, who loves helicopters, a trial lesson for her birthday. Just wondering if anyone had done one before and what was it like - just a cheeky 5 minutes on the controls or do you actually get to do a lot of flying? Cheers!

No....she said she wanted a go on a big chopper:)

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
A friend of mine got a lesson for his birthday, if memory serves he got about 15/20 minutes at the controls but, once on the ground, couldn't speak highly enough about the whole experience.

I personally have had a trial lesson in a fixed wing, spent the vast majority at the controls, excellent fun.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm debating getting the girlfriend, who loves helicopters, a trial lesson for her birthday.
If I was going, I'd want to learn to fly on a computer first, so I could get the most from the real thing. If you do go for it, perhaps give her the ticket and some computer game she can practice on.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If I was going, I'd want to learn to fly on a computer first, so I could get the most from the real thing. If you do go for it, perhaps give her the ticket and some computer game she can practice on.

Unless it's a full scale, fully articulated simulator a game isn't going to do much good. If you know the actual model she'll be flying that may help, you can get a look at the interface or someone else doing the flight on Youtube. I'm taking my Spitfire stunt pilot course next year at Biggin Hill and I have already watched hours of interface/control and procedure vids.

However, for a fun hour out in a basic helicopter I wouldn't insist she learns on a computer, may somewhat take away the "fun" element.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If it gets draughty don't let her turn the fan off.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Unless it's a full scale, fully articulated simulator a game isn't going to do much good.
Really? Not even knowing the basics of how to control throttle and steer? Flying a helicopter is so alien to me I wouldn't have a clue without practicing first.

for a fun hour out in a basic helicopter I wouldn't insist she learns on a computer, may somewhat take away the "fun" element.
I've spent thousands of hours flying planes on a PC, and I don't think that would reduce the fun of flying a real plane, where the sensation would be so different. It might for her, I'm only saying what would work for me.

I'm taking my Spitfire stunt pilot course next year at Biggin Hill and I have already watched hours of interface/control and procedure vids.
Wow, that sounds amazing.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Wow, that sounds amazing.[/QUOTE]

I hope so. It's costing enough!! I'm currently working through my disciplines for the stunt register and repro fighter planes piloting is one I hope to achieve. Doing weapons and combat at the moment as my first skill set so a long way to go yet!

Perhaps the basics would help on a game, couldn't hurt I suppose and he said she likes heli's so she may like it anyway. I yhink we need to see some pics of her to judge properly :)

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005

Have a chat with any of the flying schools at Shoreham Airport.

I did a helicopter pleasure flight with some friends some years ago, and it was great fun, even though the pilot did all the flying. We even flew over the Amex as it was being built.
Wasn't cheap, but it was well worth it.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Can't see a PC game even coming close unless it has the cyclic, collective, torque foot pedals and twist throttle as physical controls - pressing keys on a keyboard is hardly simulation

malleus24

Jul 27, 2013
Thanks for the advice all! Sounds like it's a worthwhile experience from the above. My worry was that it would be a bit tame, since she's the skydiving/white-water kind of gal. I doubt very much I could get her near a computer simulator, but from what I've read on the website of the Shoreham one it's only the very basics anyway, no prior experience necessary. Cheers!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here