Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World Cup tickets

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I know there are a lot of experts on these matters around here so any recommendations on best/most cost effective way to get tickets for quarters/semi or final would be appreciated.

(Group stages seem less troublesome at the moment.... )

Do I wait until closer to the time?
Stubhub or a ticket exchange ?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
All the games are on telly so I'm sorted.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You've missed numerous ballots through FIFA. The second sales open 12th March, at 12pm CET. I'd then just keep checking regularly.

Stubhub etc will be expensive, and risky.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I've been to the last two World Cup's and tickets were certainly not easy to get. The cheapest option was the ballots but they are now finished. Official ticket exchanges are outrageously expensive and risky/dodgy.
Best chance is on the day or the day before for the quarter and semi finals as there are often lots of tickets available from fans whose teams have been knocked out.
By the way my experience was that the semi-final had the worst atmosphere of any game as it was mainly corporate's and other neutrals. Plus 20% of the expensive seats were empty.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I've been to the last two World Cup's and tickets were certainly not easy to get. The cheapest option was the ballots but they are now finished. Official ticket exchanges are outrageously expensive and risky/dodgy.
Best chance is on the day or the day before for the quarter and semi finals as there are often lots of tickets available from fans whose teams have been knocked out.
By the way my experience was that the semi-final had the worst atmosphere of any game as it was mainly corporate's and other neutrals. Plus 20% of the expensive seats were empty.

I'd disagree. I went to South Africa, and managed to get tickets for 2 random games that tied into my itinerary from FIFA, in the second sales.

Germany was a nightmare, but I'd wager Brazil being more similar to South Africa.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
You've missed numerous ballots through FIFA. The second sales open 12th March, at 12pm CET. I'd then just keep checking regularly.

Stubhub etc will be expensive, and risky.

I didn't miss the ballots just unsuccessful despite 10 different requests !! And I will be logged in on 12 march no question.

Out of interest I'm guessing stubhub is risky from perspective that tickets not real / don't turn up etc but I imagine their insurance policy and paypals would cover any dodgy eventuality ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I didn't miss the ballots just unsuccessful despite 10 different requests !! And I will be logged in on 12 march no question.

Out of interest I'm guessing stubhub is risky from perspective that tickets not real / don't turn up etc but I imagine their insurance policy and paypals would cover any dodgy eventuality ?

I'm not sure, you'll have to look at Stubhub yourself. I did see a few people in South Africa with fake or duplicate tickets, getting turned away at gates, which was unfortunate.

You will find a lot of locals selling their very cheap tickets out there too I imagine also.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thanks for that.

1261531108_1.jpg

"Just a joke, backfired..."

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Time to revisit. Still struggling with quarter , semi and final tickets.

Notice viagogo guarantee tickets they sell and will refund if fake. However quarters in rio are $1000 / São Paolo semi is $2000 and final are around the $5000 mark at the moment.

Should I hold on for now or take the plunge?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Notice viagogo guarantee tickets they sell and will refund if fake. However quarters in rio are $1000 / São Paolo semi is $2000 and final are around the $5000 mark at the moment.

Apropos of nothing, was it you who suggested a thread started by Bozza earlier today might be a bit "look at me"?

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Surely you can get comps from your chum Adam Lallana?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I was in Japan in 2002 and fans were getting in to games by making their own tickets:

1. Borrow someones ticket
2. Colour photocopy both sides
3. Get hold of an unused ticket from say a group game and cut out the hologram
4. Stick your two photocopied sides together and carefully stick in the hologram- voila!

Sounds ridiculous but those taking tickets at the game didn't have time to check tickets carefully and loads of people got in like this. Once inside find a spare seat or sit on the steps in the aisles. Granted you need to know someone with a ticket for the game you want to go to and have a spare ticket for the hologram.

Things might be tighter now (if the scan barcodes or check carefully), but worked fine in 2002 and would save you a couple of grand by the sounds of it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I said it was pointless. This thread isn't pointless, I genuinely need advice and the clock is ticking.

Well, John Bumlick suggested Bozza was being a bit Look At Me and you agreed with him, so...

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I said it was pointless. This thread isn't pointless, I genuinely need advice and the clock is ticking.

What codshit. It was a look at me I'm going to spend X thousand dollar on football tickets because I'm loaded type of post.

Which is similar to you posting about £300 ties and £450 trainers you supposedly own. I'm sure someone out there is impressed but it certainly isn't me.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
What codshit. It was a look at me I'm going to spend X thousand dollar on football tickets because I'm loaded type of post.

Which is similar to you posting about £300 ties and £450 trainers you supposedly own. I'm sure someone out there is impressed but it certainly isn't me.

I honestly could not care less what people think of me on here. This is a genuine thread.... The reality of the World Cup is that tickets could cost a lot, if possible I want to avoid paying over the odds.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Lots of world cup tickets are being returned (including mine). Although FIFA wont disclose the amounts I understand the numbers are higher than in the past (significantly). I would wait it out if I were you. Tickets will become available although the latter rounds are always going to get pricy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here