Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In The Times Today

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
  • What are your thoughts guys?
  • Is this the way to nurture home grown talent?
  • Will the required 51% of clubs agree to be governed by these rules?

"The Football League is considering introducing radical home-grown player quotas and overhauling the loan system in an attempt to improve the development of English players.

All 72 clubs have been consulted over a range of proposals, including a ban on taking foreign players on loan, a significant increase in the number of home-grown players that must be named in each match-day squad and stipulating that two of the seven substitutes must be aged under 21. The Football League is due to begin collating their responses this week.
The League’s consultation is a response to Greg Dyke’s FA Commission, which the FA chairman set up last year in an attempt to address the significant decline in the number of English players competing at the top level, but will now not report until the summer because of concerns that its findings could undermine England’s World Cup campaign.
The Premier League and the FA have been informed of the League’s proposals, which could be introduced as soon as next season if they receive the backing of 51 per cent of the clubs.
In The Times’ special report this week, For the Good of the Game, many stakeholders in the sport have identified a blockage that prevents many promising players aged 18 to 21 gaining much playing time, and the League is seeking to address this shortcoming.
The most radical solution is the proposed change to the loan system, which would prevent League clubs taking on loan foreign players who have not been developed in England. Loan signings would be restricted to so-called home-grown players, who in accordance with European Union Law must have spent three years at an FA-affiliated club while under the age of 21.
There is no block on foreign loan signings at present, although League clubs are permitted to sign only eight players on loan from overseas clubs over the course of a season, while only five loan players of any origin can be named in a match-day squad. Also, only five players can be signed on loan from the same Premier League club in one season. The Football League introduced home-grown quotas at the start of the 2011-12 season, with a minimum of six to be named in each club’s 18-strong match-day squad, and they could be increased significantly if a majority of clubs give their backing.
The initial proposal is for a minimum of nine home-grown players to be included on each team-sheet next season, a figure that could rise to 11 in subsequent years.
League executives are believed to be open-minded about increasing the quotas, but are confident that all their clubs could comply if they were introduced. Some Championship clubs who have become reliant on the overseas loan market would have to alter their approach, however, particularly Watford, who brought in 14 players on loan last season before the regulations were tightened up last summer.
There is a proposal to lobby the FA and the Premier League to establish a centralised fund to make payments to clubs who produce England players as a reward to incentivise them to develop their own players — similar to that operated in cricket by the ECB — while there is also a desire to put co-ordinated pressure on Uefa to tighten up the home-grown regulations so that they pertain just to domestic players, or increase the residential qualification period from three to five years.
Other proposals include making it mandatory to have two players aged under 21 on each substitutes’ bench, and the establishment of a Football League under-21 team to play regular matches against other second-tier leagues in Europe to broaden young players’ international experience. "

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/article4022186.ece

Edit: Add link

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Watford won't like this

I like these new changes. Hope it goes ahead. We have the perfect manager in that he likes to use kids himself.

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
So home-grown means "must have spent three years at an FA-affiliated club while under the age of 21. "

"The initial proposal is for a minimum of nine home-grown players to be included on each team-sheet next season, a figure that could rise to 11 in subsequent years."

How would that leave our current starting line-up?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Jose wont like this.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Have we sacked Oscar and replaced him with the ghost of Jimmy Savile?
What other subjects do you enjoy discussing apart from pedophilia and necrophilia?

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Just for reference.

• Brezovan - Slovakian
  • Bruno - Spanish
  • Greer - Scottish
  • Andrews - Irish
  • Dunk - English
  • Stephens - English
  • Hoskins - English
  • Crofts - Welsh
  • Rodreguez - Spanish
  • Agustien - Dutch
  • Orlandi - Spanish
  • Mackail-Smith - Scottish
  • Calderon - Spanish
  • Chicksen - English
  • Ankergreg - Danish
  • Ward - Irish
  • Forter-Caskey - English
  • Ulloa - Argentinian
  • Upson - English
  • Lopez - Spanish
  • Obika - English
  • Dickensen - English
  • Lualua - Congolese
  • March - English
  • Kuszczak - Polish
  • Buckley - English
  • Ince - English

Looking at the list of player profiles on the website. We would have a struggle to put out a team each week when you take injuries into account etc.

Last edited:

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
I like the idea of incentivising the development of youth players but I do wonder if the football league is taking the fall for the Premierships shortcomings. Get the lower leagues to do the development of grass roots football and youth for the England squad with the crumbs of funding that falls from the table above, while the Premiership carries on its myopic self centred pursuits and on the whole ignoring youth development when it comes to the first team (I guess Southampton and a few others aside). Then waiting to pick up relative bargains from the lower leagues when they are fully developed and there's no risk to the points total at the end of the season.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Oscar will need a computer to work out his team sheet. The idea is good but it adds complication,

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I'm not sure about a home-grown quota, but certainly having a couple of U21s as standard in the matchday squad is something I've been in favour of for years

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
While at first glance the idea looks a reasonable one, how do the FA propose to get round EU employment law with the foreign players and UK Age Descrimination Law for the under 21 players ?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Personally I think the bigger issue is the big clubs filling up their youth team with foreign players and limiting the opportunities for British players. The regulations above wouldn't stop this from happening.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Personally I think the bigger issue is the big clubs filling up their youth team with foreign players and limiting the opportunities for British players. The regulations above wouldn't stop this from happening.

Indeed, if home-grown means "must have spent three years at an FA-affiliated club while under the age of 21. " then as you say, clubs may well look for 16-17-18yo foreign talent... but that is a pretty risky long-term plan, which wouldn't help if they introduce this next year.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
These players appear to qualify okay although not sure about the Irish contingent or Greer if the sweaties vote to seceed. CMS is as Scottish as I am (I went there on holiday once!) and Kaz meets the qualifying criteria too
  • Greer - Scottish
  • Andrews - Irish
  • Dunk - English
  • Stephens - English
  • Hoskins - English
  • Crofts - Welsh
  • Mackail-Smith - Scottish :lol:
  • Chicksen - English
  • Ward - Irish
  • Forter-Caskey - English
  • Upson - English
  • Goodwin - English
  • Obika - English
  • Dickensen - English
  • Lualua - Congolese
  • March - English
  • Walton - English
  • Lingard - English
  • Buckley - English
  • Ince - English

Looking at the list of player profiles on the website. We would have a struggle to put out a team each week when you take injuries into account etc.

Play nine of those in the matchday squad and there is plenty of room for the PIG, Bruno or Calde, Leo, SD or SR, Andrea etc......

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
These players appear to qualify okay although not sure about the Irish contingent or Greer if the sweaties vote to seceed. CMS is as Scottish as I am (I went there on holiday once!) and Kaz meets the qualifying criteria too

But 'home-grown' doesn't mean ENGLISH though...

"must have spent three years at an FA-affiliated club while under the age of 21. "

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
But 'home-grown' doesn't mean ENGLISH though...

"must have spent three years at an FA-affiliated club while under the age of 21. "

I allowed for your that :thumbsup:
Not sure our Irish lads or (potentially) GG qualify under that definition but assume (not that itcaffects Crofts who is as Welsh as I am Scottish) the Welsh FA are included as their clubs play in our leagues :lol:

Last edited:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Indeed, if home-grown means "must have spent three years at an FA-affiliated club while under the age of 21. " then as you say, clubs may well look for 16-17-18yo foreign talent... but that is a pretty risky long-term plan, which wouldn't help if they introduce this next year.

They are already doing it -
Man City U18 squad:
Spain DF Pablo Becerra
Switzerland MF Daniel Lema Traba
France MF Thierry Ambrose
Portugal MF Wato Kuate
Spain MF Angelino
Spain MF Manu Garcia
Republic of Kosovo FW Bersant Celina

Chelsea:
Sweden DF Ali Suljić
Ivory Coast MF Victorien Angban