Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Three Minute Hero' - You Decide.....

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Greetings all,

Spencer Vignes here - some of you may know me personally or be aware of my work as a journalist and contributor to our match day magazine Seagull for many years.

Folks, I'd like to ask for your help.

Over the past season I've been writing a regular article in Seagull called 'Three Minute Hero'. The piece takes a look at Albion players from the past who came from nowhere, did something remarkable in one game or over a short period of time, then disappeared again. Guys like Bryan Wade who is famous for scoring four goals in one match against Newcastle back in 1991, but did little else in an Albion shirt.

For our final home league game of the regular season against Yeovil Town, I'd like to let North Stand Chat decide who I should write about. If there's a particular player you would like to see featured, then post their name on here. Once we've had some replies I'll see if one name in particular keeps on cropping up, and he'll be our man.

For the record, these are the players I've already written about this season, so it needs to be someone who IS NOT on this list:

Eric Potts
Tony Meola
Ade Akinbiyi
Martin Chivers
Lloyd Owusu
Martin Keown
Robbie Reinult
Gary Howlett
Maheta Molango
Jeff Clarke
Matthew Edwards
Sergei Gotsmanov
Stefan Iovan
Aidan Newhouse
Paul Emblen
Phil Stant
Steve Cotterill
Paul Moulden
Juergen Sommer
Bryan Wade
Bradley Johnson
Bob McNicol
Paul Dickov

Thanks for reading this and I look forward to receiving your suggestions,

Up The Albion!
Spencer

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Steve Sidwell. Remember him being a cut above during his loan spell. Didn't he score two injury time goals to rescue a draw from nowhere as well one game?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Freeman wasnt it... the guy who scored a hat trick first game of the season and never scored again?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Does Hans Kraay count, only 23 appearances with 3 goals but will always be remembered for the way he wound up the opposing goalkeeper for corners, pogo style, especially when he did it right in from of the north stand

Stinky Pete

Aug 31, 2009
London
Whatever happened to that Nigerian chap who scored at Barnet, then disappeared? Maybe him.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Yes! Yeldell and the pink shirt!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Dave Cameron... is one good game at Lincoln and the Cameron/Cork spat... plus what a god he was on FM that year!

and what about....

Gorgeous George!!! and his mini-rebellion.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sidwell is too well-known. Martin Thomas's headed tackle was baffling, but not heroic. The man you need is Emeka Ifejiagwa - giant Nigerian centre-back who scored the winner in a downpour at Barnet and then disappeared amid work permit issues. Looked for 30 seconds and found this: http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/21182/emeka-ifejiagwa

I see what you mean as I was going to suggest Paul McShane for that goal. But I then saw Ade Akinbiyi, Lloyd Owusu, Sergei Gotsmanov, Paul Dickov and, most notably, Martin Known had already been covered and figured "well-known-ness" doesn't seem to be an issue.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
I never feel Chris Iwelumo got the credit he deserved for that penalty win in the recent play-off final in Cardiff. I say recent - that was 10 YEARS AGO?!

Or Abdul Razak who had one blinding game in the centre of the park in the 2011/12 season before immediately fizzling out.

Mark Gall. Bloody brilliant player, career cut tragically short. Wasn't his payoff a van and a tank of petrol?

Remember him being an excellent player and share your views that his career ended prematurely, he had the makings of becoming a legend.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Paul Wood - pretty sure he scored one or two in that famous 5-4 reverse away to Sheff Utd. 3-0 down at half time we came back to lead 4-3, before blowing it and losing 5-4. He went to to play for Sheff Utd.

And how about this random one.... Jamie Howell - currently the Bognor Regis Town boss. Sussex (Worthing) lad who was England under 16 and on Arsenal books.

He was on loan at Torquay I believe in 1997 and scored or created a goal for Torquay against Hereford in one of the last few games. A result that cost Hereford a couple of points and ultimately kept us in the football league. Some of the facts may not be as I remember but pretty sure this is the case.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I see what you mean as I was going to suggest Paul McShane for that goal. But I then saw Ade Akinbiyi, Lloyd Owusu, Sergei Gotsmanov, Paul Dickov and, most notably, Martin Known had already been covered and figured "well-known-ness" doesn't seem to be an issue.

I'm sure the prog did an ace job on all of them, but there's not much mystery afoot. Even true enigmas like Cameron and Molango have had their three additional minutes of fame in The Argus and all that. Emeka is a proper mystery, probably because he was hurried out of the country the minute he became a hero for us.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
How about Zeke Rowe? I remember seeing him play for us once and thinking "he looks quite useful". Sadly, it transpired that I was wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here