Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Freemasonry

Should people in authority declare that they are Freemasons?

• Yes

Votes: 35 66.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 34.0%

• Total voters

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Should people in authority declare that they are Freemasons when they are working in the public sector, especially on a local level with regard to the council, its inner workings and the people they do business with?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
probably. they sould fill a form with all associations: their football club, political party, rotary club, choir group, pub darts team etc.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
No option for "doesn't matter"

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The Masons I know are quite happy to disclose their membership and talk about the Brotherhood.

I'm not talking about a general chit chat with people you know, I am talking about those who hold positions of authority to have it printed by their names Like Dr, Sir etc.

I shouldn't have to ask if anyone is a Mason.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I'm not talking about a general chit chat with people you know, I am talking about those who hold positions of authority to have it printed by their names Like Dr, Sir etc.

I shouldn't have to ask if anyone is a Mason

Don't understand why you'd want to - should the people you are talking about also disclose their religious beliefs?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Freemasonry is one of the world’s oldest and largest non-religious, non-political, fraternal and charitable organisations. It teaches self-knowledge through participation in a progression of ceremonies. Members are expected to be of high moral standing and are encouraged to speak openly about Freemasonry

http://www.ugle.org.uk/what-is-freemasonry

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I shouldn't have to ask if anyone is a Mason.

i know, i shouldnt have to ask anyone if they are in the 1901 either. we could use the style "Quch." for "quiche" to note them.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Beware of freemasons, i'm not sure how many centuries they have been pedalling their activities but i must warn you that they are not to be trusted. They are trying to create a conspiracy whereby everyone believes that they are an all-powerful controlling shadowy organisation at the seat of the establishment. In fact its a load of middle aged businessmen with nothing to do at home so they go and drink quietly with their mates occasionally taking each others numbers if they need their insurance renewed, car updated, holiday booked etc.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Beware of freemasons, i'm not sure how many centuries they have been pedalling their activities but i must warn you that they are not to be trusted. They are trying to create a conspiracy whereby everyone believes that they are an all-powerful controlling shadowy organisation at the seat of the establishment. In fact its a load of middle aged businessmen with nothing to do at home so they go and drink quietly with their mates occasionally taking each others numbers if they need their insurance renewed, car updated, holiday booked etc.

Aaaaaaghh!

You have revealed the SECRET of the Freemasons - I'm afraid it's dangling underneath Blackfriars Bridge with your breast ripped open and your todger stuffed down your throat for you..... :eek:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Freemasonry is one of the world’s oldest and largest non-religious, non-political, fraternal and charitable organisations. It teaches self-knowledge through participation in a progression of ceremonies. Members are expected to be of high moral standing and are encouraged to speak openly about Freemasonry

And also:

Former Home Secretary Jack Straw tried to address the issue of Freemasons working in the criminal justice system. In 1999, new judges were required to publicly disclose whether they were Masons.

But after a ruling from the European Court of Human Rights, the requirement was dropped in 2009. Police officers have a voluntary requirement to disclose - but only to their superiors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17272611

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

It does require belief in a higher power though. I'd say that's religious.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
I am happy to tell anyone who is interested that I am a Mason, just as I was happy to tell anyone that I was a Scout leader for several years whilst my son was a member of the scouts. The core aim of both organisations is to promote respect and a moral basis for life in general. Masons also raise huge amounts of money for non-masonic charities. Yes we do enjoy dining together and sinking a glass or two, or perhaps three.

Inevitably, if I need some electrics sorted at home, I will ask someone appropriate that I know from either organisation. No doubt that is true of football supporters and members of the darts club.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

And how to look after each other.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Yes, and they should all have to wear their apron in public.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I am happy to tell anyone who is interested that I am a Mason, just as I was happy to tell anyone that I was a Scout leader for several years whilst my son was a member of the scouts. The core aim of both organisations is to promote respect and a moral basis for life in general. Masons also raise huge amounts of money for non-masonic charities. Yes we do enjoy dining together and sinking a glass or two, or perhaps three.

Inevitably, if I need some electrics sorted at home, I will ask someone appropriate that I know from either organisation. No doubt that is true of football supporters and members of the darts club.

But when a local council puts out a tender or a quote for some work or a service and they have informed their fellow Masons tendering for the contract how much the council are willing to pay, surely that is a conflict of interest ?

Besides, not sure if I would want my electrics done by a Boy Scout.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here