Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hate on the terraces

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Cha 4 now.
Sorry for short notice but Brighton featured first up because of homophobic chants.

Last edited:

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
Truly disgusting behaviour too. Certainly not banter. Took my ten year old daughter to Millwall and was shocked to hear " get your tits out for the lads" by the Brighton fans. Not heard since Koo Stark's vist to the Goldstone.

Prompted a discussion with my daughter - really don't want to lose her as a fan but she was shocked!

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Truly disgusting behaviour too. Certainly not banter. Took my ten year old daughter to Millwall and was shocked to hear " get your tits out for the lads" by the Brighton fans. Not heard since Koo Stark's vist to the Goldstone.

Prompted a discussion with my daughter - really don't want to lose her as a fan but she was shocked!
Really? I hadn't heard it since the previous away match.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
There's your problem.

My daughter plays Sunday league and follows the Albion home and away. You want to stop her.

She's used to the abuse but felt scared and vulnerable cos she realised that could happen to her one day. Do you think that's acceptable? And she deserves to feel like that because her mum took her to Millwall?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My daughter plays Sunday league and follows the Albion home and away. You want to stop her.

She's used to the abuse but felt scared and vulnerable cos she realised that could happen to her one day. Do you think that's acceptable? And she deserves to feel like that because her mum took her to Millwall?

She doesn't deserve that, no. But ultimately, they are a different breed at Millwall. Inner city club, school of hard knocks and all that - it is very odd to the rest of us, as well as all a bit wrong.

With respect, only go there if you have thick skin. They still think it's funny to chant Istanbul and Hillsborough when Leeds or Liverpool visit.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
She does not DESERVE to feel like that, of course not. Just like I as a middle aged man do not deserve to have to feel wary if passing a rowdy group of young men whilst walking home from the pub. But it is life, get used to it.

It is impossible to legislate every antisocial or possibly offensive behaviour out of life. Once you realise this you then take measures to limit your exposure to them. Not taking your 10 year old daughter to Millwall away is one of them, or if you do decide to do so please do not whinge about the 'nawty' songs that have been going on at football for 50 years.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
She does not DESERVE to feel like that, of course not. Just like I as a middle aged man do not deserve to have to feel wary if passing a rowdy group of young men whilst walking home from the pub. But it is life, get used to it.

It is impossible to legislate every antisocial or possibly offensive behaviour out of life. Once you realise this you then take measures to limit your exposure to them. Not taking your 10 year old daughter to Millwall away is one of them, or if you do decide to do so please do not whinge about the 'nawty' songs that have been going on at football for 50 years.

This, one thousand per cent.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
She doesn't deserve that, no. But ultimately, they are a different breed at Millwall. Inner city club, school of hard knocks and all that - it is very odd to the rest of us, as well as all a bit wrong.

With respect, only go there if you have thick skin. They still think it's funny to chant Istanbul and Hillsborough when Leeds or Liverpool visit.

But it was our fans!

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

It was Brighton fans she was complaining about.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I was at Millwall with my six-year-old, and my partner. The upshot of the experience of some Brighton fans' 'chanting' is that we don't think it's appropriate to take him along to another away game. This is a shame.
One option would be to find an allocated family area. The alternative to this is that families increasingly don't attend football matches, and the profile of the away crowd becomes inexorably loaded towards those that are more willing to sing 'Get your tits out for the boys.'

I was at Millwall with my six-year-old, and my partner. The upshot of the experience of some Brighton fans' 'chanting' is that we don't think it's appropriate to take him along to another away game. This is a shame.
One option would be to find an allocated family area. The alternative to this is that families increasingly don't attend football matches, and the profile of the away crowd becomes inexorably loaded towards those that are more willing to sing 'Get your tits out for the boys.'

I found the solution to this was when the children were young i would sing and chant at mrs rev,also i would constantly shout you never make the station at my toddlers! When they were old enough for school i would spend the weekend shouting back to school on Monday! By the time they attended the first Albion game there was no problem! In fact they knew all the songs already! So a result all round. :moo:

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
As ever with these things it's usually about context.

IMO people singing/chanting songs that are about winding up or taking the p1ss is fine. It's when there's a level of malice behind it that I think it's wrong, and unfortunately there are some people who act in a vitriolic hateful way.

Plus I also think that the winding up/p1ss taking lines between acceptable and offensive are subjective and due to the that we'll never all agree. Apart from the extreme ones of course.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

I agree this is a shame - in my experience, however, this is much worse at certain away matches than others. It's clear that there's a group of Brighton ' fans' (who were there in force at Millwall on Saturday), who only show up for certain away matches - typically the more local ones that are easy and cheap to get to, or the ones that are seen to have a bit of an 'edge' to them (Millwall and Palace being the obvious ones, which tick both boxes, although there were also a few at Bournemouth this year). Avoid some of those away matches with your lad (I agree you shouldn't have to, of course) and you should be fine.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As ever with these things it's usually about context.

IMO people singing/chanting songs that are about winding up or taking the p1ss is fine. It's when there's a level of malice behind it that I think it's wrong, and unfortunately there are some people who act in a vitriolic hateful way.

Plus I also think that the winding up/p1ss taking lines between acceptable and offensive are subjective and due to the that we'll never all agree. Apart from the extreme ones of course.

Indeed. Some of the examples used on the programme such as "Does your boyfriend know you're here ?" and "We can see you holding hands." I personally would put down to playful banter with no hatred ( that said I'm not gay so it might indeed be offensive if you are ).

What concerned me was the pure hate you saw when some of the West Ham fans were singing about Spurs. How do these sort of people manage in day to day life ? Awful, and it was shameful that the police and clubs did next to nothing about it.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
How do these sort of people manage in day to day life ?

I guess they're usually quite angry or frustrated about a number of things.

There's a common perception that people are different when they're at football than they are elsewhere. I don't think this is the case, it's just amplified or given at outlet at football.

People need to chill out and lighten up. In life generally, not just football.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here