had this discussion at work

pretty much universally agreed the Beatles are the most famous

but differing opnions on the 2nd

Led Zep,Rolling Stones & Queen we're mentioned

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Whether you like them or not U2 are MASSIVELY famous globally. Huge in South America.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What about the massed band of the Brigade of Guards or the Grenadier Guards which is 1 or 2.

Are those mentioned by the OP actually bands or just groups.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I would have thought Elvis is more well known than Zeppelin, Queen and The Stones

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Got to be the Stones over here. But owing to the rest of the world, it's probably Bonio.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Whether you like them or not U2 are MASSIVELY famous globally. Huge in South America.

Is that BONO'S BAND? He's that guy from every major TV event on earth ever isn't he? The guy in the orange glasses who was at the Oscars yesterday? The one who gives so much to charity. He does loads of charity you know. Charity.

And he knows Nelson Mandela. Best mates they were.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Queen, easily.

Doubt many younger people have even heard of Led Zeppelin, or know any Rolling Stones songs.

Also Queen will have a truly global following, unlike the other two.

Queen never particularly cracked America though, which is a major acid test for any band's global appeal, whereas the Stones did and remain popular there now.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Is that BONO'S BAND? He's that guy from every major TV event on earth ever isn't he? The guy in the orange glasses who was at the Oscars yesterday? The one who gives so much to charity. He does loads of charity you know. Charity.

And he knows Nelson Mandela. Best mates they were.

Also the bloke and the band who wrote and performed Sunday Bloody Sunday, The Unforgettable Fire, New Year's Day, Two Hearts Beat As One, Where The Streets Have No Name, Bad, Running To Stand Still, Bullet The Blue Sky, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, With Or Without You, Angel Of Harlem, One, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Stay (Faraway, So Close), Beautiful Day, Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of, Wild Honey, Walk On, City Of Blinding Lights, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, The Hands That Built America, Electrical Storm, Magnificent, White As Snow and Ordinary Love. Great songs all. But yeah, let's just focus on the point that they wear sunglasses indoors, supposedly don't pay their taxes and let their hats get their own first class seat on the plane and forget they have recorded some bloody good music too.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Also the bloke and the band who wrote and performed Sunday Bloody Sunday, The Unforgettable Fire, New Year's Day, Two Hearts Beat As One, Where The Streets Have No Name, Bad, Running To Stand Still, Bullet The Blue Sky, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, With Or Without You, Angel Of Harlem, One, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Stay (Faraway, So Close), Beautiful Day, Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of, Wild Honey, Walk On, City Of Blinding Lights, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, The Hands That Built America, Electrical Storm, Magnificent, White As Snow and Ordinary Love. Great songs all. But yeah, let's just focus on the point that they wear sunglasses indoors, supposedly don't pay their taxes and let their hats get their own first class seat on the plane and forget they have recorded some bloody good music too.

Yes. Lets... well, I don't like him, so I'd prefer it if we focussed on that :)

The thing is with some of the best songs.. is that they weren't written by the best people. They were written by tossers. Tossers and loonies.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Queen, easily.

Doubt many younger people have even heard of Led Zeppelin, or know any Rolling Stones songs.

Also Queen will have a truly global following, unlike the other two.

The only 2 bands that could sell out 50 x 70,000 US football stadiums WITHOUT advertising were The Stones and The Who.
Having seen all 3 @ Wembley Queen had the weakest set by far

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
The thing is with some of the best songs.. is that they weren't written by the best people. They were written by tossers. Tossers and loonies.

There are some people who would say that sentiment is true of The Beatles. They'd be hard pressed to knock their musical ability though. I take your point though that it can be difficult to reconcile the two factors.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here