Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A good read by a Cardiff fan.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Great read, this stood out:

----
But for me, the magic was gone. The amount of fun on offer had already been decreasing over the years, as success drove the fans into ever more restricted and sanitised experiences.

Sit down. Don’t drink. Don’t smoke. Don’t swear. Don’t wave that banner. Stop shouting. Enjoy the stadium experience (TM) in the correct manner.

---

TBF, if Brighton changed their nickname to ''Allstars'' and had to play in red I think I'd walk too.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I used to work with Mike, the guy who wrote this. He was an absolutely fanatical Bluebirds fan, his stopping supporting the team is the equivalent of the ravens leaving the Tower.

Can't say I blame him though

D

Deleted member 22389

Trouble is clubs get in to so much debt the only way out is to find a foreign owner.
Cardiff have got a pretty shit deal if you ask me, even worse it looks like they are going down. How much is Tan going to dip in his pocket this time because they must be millions of pounds in debt as it is.

It makes me appreciate how lucky we are to have someone like TB. I can and I hope all our supporters understand why he wants our club to sustain itself, because if it didn't he would eventually have to look for an investor, and that investor would be another foreigner owner who knows nothing about the club, nothing about the area, nothing about the supporters.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I can understand his point to a degree, but surely there's no conflict of interest in supporting Cardiff City AND Dulwich Hamlet (whose fans were singled out for excellent support against Lewes this weekend).

True, but he said he hates the fans that want success at all cost. Difficult to support a club if you hate what it stands for,

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I can understand his point to a degree, but surely there's no conflict of interest in supporting Cardiff City AND Dulwich Hamlet (whose fans were singled out for excellent support against Lewes this weekend).

I was at the Dripping Pan on Saturday and Dulwich's fans were excellent. Sang their hearts out during the game and half an hour after the match finished, there were still plenty of them mingling in the main stand, decked out in their pink and purple colours.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton

Was at the Dripping Pan on Saturday and Dulwich's fans were excellent. Got behind their team brilliantly during the match and half an hour after the game, there were plenty of their number still mingling in the main stand and in the bar, decked out in their pink and purple colours.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It makes me appreciate how lucky we are to have someone like TB. I can and I hope all our supporters understand why he wants our club to sustain itself
Most do, but I find amazing that some don't. Of course I accept that our relative success will bring some new fans in, that really want a premier style club to support, but I think some older Brighton fans have also forgotten who they support. I'm not as anti corporate football the ex-Cardiff fan - I don't mind having a seat, I like the fact the people don't smoke. I'd love for people to be able to drink at their seats - that needs to change. But our club's identity is important to me, as Cardiff's was to him.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
A good read that. He makes some good points about the state of modern football and I totally respect his stance. But personally, no matter what ******** was at the Albion I just couldn't walk away like that. As soppy as it sounds, Brighton and Hove Albion is an emotional part of me. I just couldn't shut my emotions off and walk away like that.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Was at the Dripping Pan on Saturday and Dulwich's fans were excellent. Got behind their team brilliantly during the match and half an hour after the game, there were plenty of their number still mingling in the main stand and in the bar, decked out in their pink and purple colours.

Dulwich brought 200 fans to Lewes on Saturday - bloody good effort.

PG

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Great read, this stood out:

----
But for me, the magic was gone. The amount of fun on offer had already been decreasing over the years, as success drove the fans into ever more restricted and sanitised experiences.

Sit down. Don’t drink. Don’t smoke. Don’t swear. Don’t wave that banner. Stop shouting. Enjoy the stadium experience (TM) in the correct manner.

---

Makes my blood boil,...... it couldnt have been put more succinctly,.....

Someone, or perhaps some Albion fans representative want to send that paragraph to Barber,.... just as an early warning, this could be us in years to come.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Makes my blood boil,...... it couldnt have been put more succinctly,.....

Someone, or perhaps some Albion fans representative want to send that paragraph to Barber,.... just as an early warning, this could be us in years to come.

Why ? Our club is owned by TB, not some foreign owner who only cares about money and profit. It certainly wouldnt be us with TB at the helm.

Barber has nothing to do with it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As he said, there are plenty of people happy to go along with it, and/or take his place.

That's my massive issue with all this Cardiff hand wringing and bellyaching.
It only happens when they lose.

Vincent Tan wasn't a big issue when they were winning the championship.
Vincent Tan wouldn't be a big issue now if Cardiff were 8th.

They couldn't get enough of red shirts free scarfs and Malaysian flags, this time last year.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
As he said, there are plenty of people happy to go along with it, and/or take his place.

They couldn't get enough of red shirts free scarfs and Malaysian flags, this time last year.

"Everyone loves a winner " !!!!!!!!!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I see where hes coming from. Couldnt stand anythin like that happening to BHA. Terrible.
Agree,my beloved BHA would not be the same with different colours and name....I don't want a foreign chairman coming in....even if he brings success....for a short while!! TB,you are a legend.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

What about the number of Arsenal and Chelsea fans that stopped going to London and started coming to watch the Seagulls after the Amex opened? I believe this disproves the theory that it is all about winning.

I think Cardiff is an extreme example of how a club can sell it's soul to the devil, but there's a lot in that blog that almost any football fan will identify with.

I think that the Albion has a good recent track record of engaging with their fans.

I believe the issue of safe standing will give clubs an opportunity to re-engage with their fans and reverse the trend of corporatisation of football. I would hope that, in time, the Albion re-introduce a standing area, although I can see this might be a slow burner.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here