Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the Injury crisis down to our Facility's or just bad luck?

Dec 31, 2012
In the Gym
I'm not sure If or how much this has been discussed on this here forum but It's got me thinking about why our players always seem to be Injured. Either we have the worst luck In hostory and the Footballing God's don't like us or could It be how our pitch at the Amex was put In? (Chalk Problems?). Or even Training ground Issues?

What are your thought's on this?

Now I know this may come as a shock to a few of you due to the nature of past posts but I'm genuinely Interested In what your take is on this "phenomenon" of our players which glass legs.

Aug 23, 2011
Don't qpr and forest have similar issues? They just have larger squads? Newcastle always seem to suffer too. Are we more aware of our injuries because we know our players better?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't think we have the worst luck in "hostory" at all, don't be daft.

It's just one of those things. No need to overanalyse it

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
We need all our faculties to be able to ensure we can use our facilities properly or at least good luck. Apologies for being facile.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
There was a suggestion that training on soft ground/playing matches on the firm Falmer pitch is a factor. Buckley has had bad hamstrings since his Watford days though.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
There's definitely something odd going on. It's not just the serious injuries to the likes of Crofts, CMS and Hoskins etc which can happen to anyone but the sheer number of players who are carrying injuries and have to be nursed through the season is extraordinary-Lua Lua, Buckley, Ulloa, Orlandi, Bruno, Andrews and a few others to a lesser degree. Maybe its just bad luck but I bet OG would to solve the problem.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
There's definitely something odd going on. It's not just the serious injuries to the likes of Crofts, CMS and Hoskins etc which can happen to anyone but the sheer number of players who are carrying injuries and have to be nursed through the season is extraordinary-Lua Lua, Buckley, Ulloa, Orlandi, Bruno, Andrews and a few others to a lesser degree. Maybe its just bad luck but I bet OG would to solve the problem.

Doubt anything other than the time of the season, players already played/trained for months and then theres an increased chance of injury.

There is another factor in modern day football that needs to be managed by the coaching staff throughout football and thats the emergence of sports science and medical departments and its burgeoning staffing.

Players can sometimes be withdrawn from matches and training for quite minor injuries that previously would of had the player continue playing.

Of course this can be a good thing, but it can be overprotective and players lose training and playing time.

Its not unusual for coaches to feel frustrated whilst phyiso's feeling pressured into letting players return too early, it can be a difficult balancing act.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Doubt anything other than the time of the season, players already played/trained for months and then theres an increased chance of injury.

There is another factor in modern day football that needs to be managed by the coaching staff throughout football and thats the emergence of sports science and medical departments and its burgeoning staffing.

Players can sometimes be withdrawn from matches and training for quite minor injuries that previously would of had the player continue playing.

Of course this can be a good thing, but it can be overprotective and players lose training and playing time.

Its not unusual for coaches to feel frustrated whilst phyiso's feeling pressured into letting players return too early, it can be a difficult balancing act.

I think Lua Lua, Buckley, Bruno and Andrews have been struggling all season. Bridcutt and Orlandi both started their problems at the start of the year.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It may or may not have anything to do with it, but we have just got a new physio.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
But is it new?
Paul Rogers, Adam Hinchlewood, Simon Roger, Charlie Oatway, to name but a few, have all suffered career ending injuries. Seems like now, with improved re-hab techniques, they can be fixed up and make a return to playing.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think we have had some bad luck, but with Buckley, LuaLua, Agustein, Orlandi, Ulloa, Bruno and others I think a large part of it was they were starting games when clearly not fit in the first place

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

I don't think there's anything odd going on. The injuries that Crofts, CMS, Ulloa and Hoskins have got are injuries that all footballers can get at some time in their career, occupational hazards if you like. KLL, Buckley, Bruno and Orlandi all came to the club with questionable injury records and have been no better, no worse than they were at their previous clubs. As Edna said, no need to overanalyse.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The players are professional athletes and when you push your body to the limits injuries are bound to occur.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Me and a friend were discussing this the other week. It does seem that since we moved to the AMEX we have had a noticeable increase in muscular injuries.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't think there's anything odd going on. The injuries that Crofts, CMS, Ulloa and Hoskins have got are injuries that all footballers can get at some time in their career, occupational hazards if you like. KLL, Buckley, Bruno and Orlandi all came to the club with questionable injury records and have been no better, no worse than they were at their previous clubs. As Edna said, no need to overanalyse.

I'd go with this, and Edna's analysis. We had a lot of bad luck with injuries in the first half of the season, which has been compounded by having two forwards out long-term, who have suffered relapses. These things happen. I'm of the view that our injury situation is looking pretty good at the moment. One of the reasons why we've been so mean defensively is that our back five -- we could even extend this to about ten players -- have all been injury-free for all of the season, bar the odd game here or there. The club seem to be managing Buckley's long-term situation. Orlandi had a pack on his knee on Saturday after the game, but I'd imagine that's the club just managing his recuperation. I thought Ulloa looked faster and fitter against Millwall than he has done in previous games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here