Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rory McIlroy

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
I have no interest at all in what Rooney earns at ManUre, but wonder what people on here think about no one batting an eyelid at McIlroy pocketing $6m for hitting a golf ball around for a few days ?

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
If he wins the tournament, he deserves his prize money. It's not his fault the sponsor is willing to put up such a hefty prize fund. No particular fan of golf, but pleased to see McIlroy doing well again after some people rather foolishly started writing him off last year. Cream tends to rise to the top eventually when you are really gifted at your job.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Yep that's what he's paid for. Forget the fact he's trained for years. How many people play golf in the world and he is better than all of them give or take, but yep he's paid 6 million for turning up and hitting a ball. That Mozart fella all he did was play piano.. FFS

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Yeah, he just turns up for a few days a year, swings a club & hey presto. Anyone that plays golf to a decent standard will tell you how good he is. Best golfer on the planet right now, Some shrewdies have backed him to win the Masters @ 14/1, US Open @ 20/1 & The Open @ 28/1:)

I play off 5 & I'd want a least a shot a hole against him, maybe 2 or I'd get hammered.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Where does this golfing fella rank? Is he a top ranking player?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'd like to see wages come down for everyone who earns mega-millions. Why does one need so much money? Granted, they clearly generate the money as otherwise the sport would be bankrupt, but who ends up paying for it? Average Joe, perhaps with no interest in the game, paying larger prices on their Barclay Card or Perrier water or what-have-you. In turn, someone is working long hours for little pay to produce a plastic card or a plastic bottle (something that invariably will end up being thrown away or chucked in the sea.

It's all ****ed up.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Loads of people can make a plastic bottle only Rory can play golf like he does

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I have no interest at all in what Rooney earns at ManUre, but wonder what people on here think about no one batting an eyelid at McIlroy pocketing $6m for hitting a golf ball around for a few days ?
It's fine if golfers earn millions, it's fine if movie stars earn million, it's fine if singers earn millions. If they're good what's the problem? Oh, footballers shouldn't earn millions though, that's just wrong.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
and yet only a pittance is made available for PED testing.

As with football & tennis hundreds of millions of pounds are slopping round the respective sports but for all we know it's all based on a lie.

You can't be guilty of drug abuse if you don't test for drugs.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Six million WHEN HE WINS, as opposed to £300k week in, week out, just for turning up and being bald.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
To be fair the money a lot of sportsmen " earn " is fecking obscene but I'm sure as chips is chips if I could earn it I wouldn't turn it down ! Would anyone ??

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Bruce Willis gets $1 million a movie for just turning up and being bald. Good work if you can get it.

Bruce Willis wouldn't piss on you for a million. He's £10m a movie. Mcilroy gets so much cash because he is the absolute best in an individual sport. He has to beat every one else on his own. Whereas footballers...

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Bruce Willis wouldn't piss on you for a million. He's £10m a movie. Mcilroy gets so much cash because he is the absolute best in an individual sport. He has to beat every one else on his own. Whereas footballers...

They did a rich list of sportspeople the other year. From memory, there wasn't a single footballer in the top 20. Individual sports and American sports dominated it.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Just for clarification , McIlroy won't get $6mil for winning . $6mil is the total amount of tournament prize money .
Like all pro golf tournaments the winner gets 18% of the pot , in this event that'll be $1,080,000 .

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
for anyone not watching, he's now really bottled it and probably won't be taking home the winners cheque

needs a birdie on the 18th

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here