Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton NEXT to go ?

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Who would replace him? No point in sacking him, probably wouldn't find a better manager for the club at this point in the season.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Can't see what Malky McKay would do. They will probably stay up with Hughton, and that's all the club are aiming for.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Can't see what Malky McKay would do. They will probably stay up with Hughton, and that's all the club are aiming for.

I agree, but you asked who would replace Hughton.......and Malky keeps getting mentioned because of his previous at Carrow Road.

However it seems to me that Mackay is too much like another Hughton, not sure if he has the extra spark to make enough of a difference before it would be too late. I'm sorry for Hughton and other potential managers but the Norwich board don't really splash the cash these days having just about recovered from a real financial mess and a bit like us are trying to live within their means. On the rare occasion that they do spend big (Van Wolfswinkel) they get it wrong.

They may just have enough in the tank to stay up, helped by other teams worse form - but it will be squeaky bum time for Canary fans.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
They will live to see another prem season, undoubtedly, because other teams are doing worse. Not getting relegated is a big achievement for them every season. They can't afford more than that, and will enjoy it whilst it continues.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Mackay is an over rated manager, IMO, no better than Hughton.

I wouldn't sack Hughton anyway, Norwich have some very average players and to me are exactly where they should be in the league, every season they stay up is an achievement. The only big mistake I think he's made is spending a fortune on Ricky VW.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
For me, Fulham and Cardiff are both buggered. Can see a draw when they meet next week which leaves both pretty much stranded. I have a feeling Norwich might survive by virtue of not being quite as dreadfully shit as other clubs down the bottom. I like Hughton and think he's still got a future as a manager, but they've come quite a long way in spending terms since they first came up and this hasn't really been reflected on the pitch. Not sure he will get sacked but if he does, I fancy Mackay to take over and do a good job there. He's potentially a decent manager I think

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
They will live to see another prem season, undoubtedly, because other teams are doing worse. Not getting relegated is a big achievement for them every season. They can't afford more than that, and will enjoy it whilst it continues.

It's the same old debate - do you accept being a bottom third club in the Prem - or enjoy the cut and thrust around the top of the Championship?

We would all love the glory of promotion and the kudos of the Albion being a Prem club. We have the infrastructure to consolidate and we might just make a real go of it and cause a few surprises, but there are no guarantees. I would not want us to be whipping boys.

I recall the euphoria of us getting promoted to the old First Division - and probably with a stronger squad than at present (see the other current thread re Mullery's team) but we really struggled. We got a 0-4 spanking off Arsenal in our first game and our relative invincibility at the Goldstone over the previous couple of seasons was gradually lost. Plus we never quite had the same home crowds again. We did really well to survive three seasons.

There is something to be said for being a top third Championship side and shouldn't take that for granted either.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
But to be a top third championship side that doesn't want promotion you have to be happy lose a share of games. That lack of ambition would give the team no motivation and performances would dwindle and before you know it you are struggling to stay up.
I believe a team needs ambition, even if you do like being at the top of the championship. When you get to the prem, and you start getting regular TV money, just staying up is attractive.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Norwich have a tough end to the season. Their last 4 matches are against Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal. They'll need to be near 40 points with 4 games to go otherwise they could be in the soup.

If Norwich do stay up, I'd say Hughton will be replaced by Neil Lennon in the close season.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
But to be a top third championship side that doesn't want promotion you have to be happy lose a share of games. That lack of ambition would give the team no motivation and performances would dwindle and before you know it you are struggling to stay up.
I believe a team needs ambition, even if you do like being at the top of the championship. When you get to the prem, and you start getting regular TV money, just staying up is attractive.

I'd love us to be in the Prem very soon. Plus I certainly don't think Tony Bloom would accept us sitting near the top of the Championship season after season and never getting to the Prem - both on footballing and financial terms. But I'm not sure that just staying up in the Prem for the money as you suggest is that attractive - ultimately we all want to see the Albion playing decent footie and winning many more games than we lose. The elusive secret is getting the balance right and then consolidating as a mid table Prem side.

Just surviving in the Prem suggests we would constantly endure a nerve wracking rollercoaster - and losing a hell of a lot more games (like Norwich) than if in contention in the Championship. A couple of Norwich STH's that I know do like the Prem and occasional wins are great but they really hate being whipping boys and they have been pretty fed up for significant periods of this season.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
The teams that survive are the ones that are very well backed, financially and can get the right level of players to drop down to "smaller" clubs in lieu of weekly starts.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Looks that way. Norwich lack leadership on the field. I feel sorry for Hughton because he set them up right today and they took the lead early but some very ordinary defending killed them. I really feel they should have bought Bridcutt, he is exactly what they need.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here