Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burnley

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Agree. Marney is also top quality at this level. A good example of a team of very capable players, devoid of any 'big names' or flash Harrys. Good luck to them. It's also hard to dislike Dyche.

Disliking Dyche completely depends on your opinion of village idiots!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I've been banging on all season about how utterly bewildering it is that they are up near the top.

They are a poor footballing side.
They were dire at the Amex (couldn't even get the ball off us in the last 15 minutes) and were not much better at home to be honest.

No idea why they are second, all they do is pump the ball into the box.

If they do get promoted (and I don't think they will) they will have to make sweeping changes, as they will be destroyed week in week out - probably :)

That's how I see them to be honest. But fair play to them, whatever they are doing it works, but I agree they were dire at The Amex.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
That's how I see them to be honest. But fair play to them, whatever they are doing it works, but I agree they were dire at The Amex.

Oh agreed, if it's working then that's brilliant.
After all, they key is getting out of this division, and that really isn't easy is it?

If they do, and make the necessary changes then well done.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
4-4-2 and consistency of team selection (unchanged in the last 7).

No surprise that Leicester, who also adopt this 'out of date' and 'unattractive' formation are pissing over the rest of the league. Possession wins you **** all, it's all about the goals.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
You can call Burnley a poor side all you like: they're near the top.

Look at Palace last season: barring a phenomenal spell from late September to around November, they were largely uninspiring. Murray barely scored after January, Zaha went off the boil, & they conceded plenty of goals.

Neither Cardiff nor Hull were particularly inspiring, and they certainly weren't prolific goalscorers. Yet they went up.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Disliking Dyche completely depends on your opinion of village idiots!

An 'idiot' who has steered a relatively small club with a modest budget to the brink of the Premier League? Doesn't sound particularly idiotic to me.

Aug 23, 2011
I believe they are unbeaten at home which certainly helps. You can't judge how good or poor a side is based on 1 or 2 matches. Leicester weren't brilliant at the Amex

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
When they're going well they're a noisy crowd in a fairly intimidating old fashioned ground - which all helps build momentum and confidence.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Dyche, ****ed over at Watford for inhouse Italian bullshit, their mistake, the guy clearly knows what he's doing.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Not seen it mentioned anywhere above.
On the FLS I think I heard them say it was their same starting eleven for the 4th game running.

Most good sides in any sport at any level are found when teams are stable - everyone knows their role and a match pattern emerges [we strive for this when creating successful youth county cricket teams]. Don't get me wrong, depth in squad is valuable, but being able to pick the same side creates confidence and the bench know they have to really step up if they want a starting slot.

Few injuries is also hugely advantageous if you are to be able to achieve this.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
4-4-2 and consistency of team selection (unchanged in the last 7).

No surprise that Leicester, who also adopt this 'out of date' and 'unattractive' formation are pissing over the rest of the league. Possession wins you **** all, it's all about the goals.

Absolutely, I also note that on the face of it Barnes is the one player in the Burnley squad who does not hail from English speaking country.

Both Burnley and Leicester squads are very heavily biased towards players from the British isles. Whilst it is important that they are good players first and foremost, there are at least no particular language or cultural distractions to manage.

No doubt their respective success this season are built on multiple strands but then again at this level it is small differences that count.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here