Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Microsoft Windows help

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Following a Windows update yesterday, my pc can't restart today. Any one else have the same problem? Windows Startup repair didn't fix it and says contact sytem administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance. Before I head off fo pc world or wherever, anyone any ideas beyond switch it off then on again which I have tried?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Does it load up in safe mode?

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
I'm sure NSC will recommend somewhere other than PC World...

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Uninstall the latest update?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
To start in safe mode don't you have to repeatedly bash f8 or something similar very fast throughout the start up process

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I have had this a couple of times and have been left with the only option being a clean re-install of Windows - hope this isn't the same in your case.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
amendment to above post: not clean re-install just re-install. At least with Windows 7 (and maybe other versions since XP, not used them) your documents folders will be saved.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Just been reading about a series of microshaft updates for this month that have had dire consequences for a lot of windoze users. System restore is the way to go as has been mentioned.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Thanks guys. I phoned my youngest and he advised me that although the Windows Autorepair response was that it failed, I should switch it off and on again. Yes I know! Blow me, it worked and I'm up and running again. But thanks again all of you for troubling to reply. It seemed like a pretty scary catastrophe.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Thanks guys. I phoned my youngest and he advised me that although the Windows Autorepair response was that it failed, I should switch it off and on again. Yes I know! Blow me, it worked and I'm up and running again. But thanks again all of you for troubling to reply. It seemed like a pretty scary catastrophe.

This must be the first IT related thread where someone hasn't posted the usual IT Crowd advice of 'turn it off and on again' - and that was all it needed!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here