Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Vertongen incident

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Massive row on Facebook. Many people (mostly Spurs fans) arguing that JV didn't do a single thing wrong.

Surely JV did everything humanly possible to make sure he got the other guy sent off, no?

Thoughts? I think it should be a yellow for both players.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
JV is the worse of the two, the other guy shouldn't have done what he did no question but Vertongen's blatant gamesmanship should result in punishment also, particularly as it probably ended up costing the other side the game.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
If the player had to be sent off for a head butt, Vertonghen should have been booked for intimidation, so as he was already on a yellow he should have gone as well. There is no way Spurs would have won on a level playing field.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was so hoping that Spurs would lose after that. Such a shame that the once ' Beautiful Game' is now sullied with these sort of disgusting going ons. I'm glad I am old enough to remember other days.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Anybody else have no idea who JV or Vertongen are?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
something happened in a Spurs match I take it - what though?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[yt]yzvT7YGZY9k[/yt]

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
[yt]yzvT7YGZY9k[/yt]
:thumbsup:

Totally out of order by Vertonghen to over-react like that imo but at I guess if the Dnipro player hadn't gently nudged his head forward in the first place then no incident would have occured.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Massive row on Facebook. Many people (mostly Spurs fans) arguing that JV didn't do a single thing wrong.

Surely JV did everything humanly possible to make sure he got the other guy sent off, no?
Well JV certainly got in his face, but I don't see how that could be a yellow. And he also went down like he'd been shot. But the one camera angle does show JV's head jolt to the side a little as Zozulya butted him, so he'd certainly have felt it. If I was a Dnipro fan I'd be annoyed, just like I was when Beckham was sent off in '98. But I certainly wouldn't say it was a bad decision.

Oh, I should add, that I may be unqualified to comment, as I did actually watch it. Oh, and my initial reaction when I saw it was that it was a terrible decision, as you couldn't see Zozulya putting his head in at first.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The ref was well placed to see the incident and had no hesitation in getting the red card out as he walked over to the player so knew exactly what he was doing. Are the same people saying anything about the play acting by the Dnipro player when Soldado "elbowed" him in the face.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
The ref was well placed to see the incident and had no hesitation in getting the red card out as he walked over to the player so knew exactly what he was doing. Are the same people saying anything about the play acting by the Dnipro player when Soldado "elbowed" him in the face.

But Soldado did elbow him - maybe not as severely as the Dnipro player suggested, but he was still very lucky to get away with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here