Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone miss Bridders? ... i don't

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Our transition into a 'Liam-less team', has been remarkable in my opinion. With the emergence of Incy, and with Keith Andrews also being able to do the defensive midfield job once carried out by Liam Bridcutt I don't feel that we have really missed him at all.

Other views welcome.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
A year ago I would have been gutted to lose him and really would have missed him.

Now, I've forgotten about him already. Ince is so good, I really don't think the side miss Bridders at all. Long term I think Ince could be a better player.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Our transition into a 'Liam-less team', has been remarkable in my opinion. With the emergence of Incy, and with Keith Andrews also being able to do the defensive midfield job once carried out by Liam Bridcutt I don't feel that we have really missed him at all.

Other views welcome.

You won't get one from me. Fully agree with the above.

Very excited by what Rohan Ince can offer.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
I think it's easy to forget just how good Liam was for us. I know this season never happened, but there were periods of last season where he was simply a cut above everyone else on the pitch. Newcastle at home in the FA Cup he was absolutely immense. Andrews is doing a job, I wouldn't go any further than that, and certainly not comparable in talent to Bridcutt. I am however genuinely excited by the emergence of Ince. Not near Bridders footballing brainwise yet, but in terms of raw talent perhaps the best prospect I have ever seen come out of our youth system. (I know he was from Chelsea originally but still).

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yeah Ince has blown old Bridders out of the water. £3.5m rising was a very good fee for a defensive midfielder.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Other views welcome.

The fact he was pretty much injured for pretty much the entire first half of the season meant we had the emergence of Rohan Ince to get excited about, and so our team had already managed without Liam a long time before he actually departed. In the end, he went without us really seeing him this season.

Last edited:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The fact he was pretty much injured for pretty much the entire first half of the season meant we had the emergence of Rohan Ince to get excited about, and so our team had already managed without Liam a long time before he actually departed. In the end, he went without us really seeing this season.

Completely this. And apologies Bold Seagull, I accidentally clicked thumbs down instead of thumbs up.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I said in November we should cash Bridders in, most people disagreed with me! Now it seams everyone agrees that we don't need him; because we have Rohan Ince! Who can only get better :eek:

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Bridcutt was and is class, especially at Championship level. I never got nervous when he was on the ball. Somehow he always played the right ball. Somehow he always won headers, even against much taller opponents. Strange how Ince hasn't quite acquired that habit!

Ince's arrival has certainly softened the blow but he doesn't have the finesse of Bridders, yet. But he is more powerful and can join the attack when needed, whereas Bridcutt seemed at sea once he got to the other side of the centre circle.

I just wish Bridcutt had left under better circumstances. Maybe we didn't hear the complete story about what actually went on.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I miss what he brought to our team and it is something that Ince (despite the huge potential) hasn't QUITE got the grip of yet. Stability.

Ince is like a footballer created by a computer. He has been given the height, the pace, the strength, the jumping. He just hasn't QUITE got it all together in one flowing motion.

His potential is HUGE. But am I completely at ease when he's on the ball? Not yet. This will come with more games.

Bridcutt however was just 7 out of 10 every week. The epitome of what we needed in that central area. Control, look up, pass. Control, look up, pass.

Ince is BRILLIANT to watch but he can be a little control, look up pass. Miscontrol, stepover, win the ball back, pass.

Ince and Bridcutt TOGETHER would be GLORIOUS. Lovely balance.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Had Poyet still been here losing Bridcutt would've been a MASSIVE loss, because that position in front of the back four is so important for Poyet's style.

Oscar clearly wants his midfielders to be more mobile around the middle of the pitch, and Bridcutt didn't really fit in with that anyway which is why we haven't missed him. Thanks for 3 great years and all that, but his move to sunderland was really a win win situation for everyone involved.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I agree with the OP. I don't miss him, he left at the right time for everyone. He gets a premiership contract, we get a nice amount of cash whilst already having an in-house replacement.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
In some ways we lost him in the summer, there was plenty of time for the team to adapt prior to his sale. the emergence of Ince has been a bonus.

I'd be lying if I said I don't miss watching him beat someone 6 inches taller than him to a header though.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
We were very fortunate that Poyet wanted him so much, and I strongly doubt that we could have sold him for anywhere near the final figure if it wasn’t for that fact.

He seems happy to play a strict and ridged role imposed by Poyet, more fool him. So far from what I have seen of him at Sunderland he has looked out of his depth and there are much better defensive midfielders playing in the Prem. He was perfect for League one, good for the Championship but the jury is out as far as the Pem is concerned.

Great bit of business for the club, and I can only thank Gus for his determination and will to purchase him at above his market price.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I think it's easy to forget just how good Liam was for us. I know this season never happened, but there were periods of last season where he was simply a cut above everyone else on the pitch. Newcastle at home in the FA Cup he was absolutely immense. Andrews is doing a job, I wouldn't go any further than that, and certainly not comparable in talent to Bridcutt. I am however genuinely excited by the emergence of Ince. Not near Bridders footballing brainwise yet, but in terms of raw talent perhaps the best prospect I have ever seen come out of our youth system. (I know he was from Chelsea originally but still).

In terms of stopping people and taking one for the team LB was good for us, like a fifth defender, with regards to going forward and making a telling forward pass i'm not convinced. Plenty of 5m sideways and backwards passes,whilst I appreciate that he had his role in the team, I was never really excited about him and his replacement has been seamless. I wish him the best at Sunderland but he may be found out for his pace and awareness. But greta bit of business selling at the time we did.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Tough one. Bridcutt and Ince couldn't be MORE different, and (this needs to be stressed) INCE ISN'T A REPLACEMENT FOR BRIDCUTT.

Thing is, Bridcutt more than anyone represented Gus's calm, classy, composed, SLOW possession football. So it feels appropriate in a way that he's moved on.

I love Rohan Ince, but he is an UTTER LUNATIC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here