Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley Groundsman gets P45

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Surely they can't get away with making the position redundant. Someone will be doing his job.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Very odd behaviour. Surely it's the lack investment in the pitch drainage that is to blame not the groundsman.

They really are on for a rapid fall down the divisions aren't they.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Surely they can't get away with making the position redundant. Someone will be doing his job.

Yes, it has been out-sourced to Crawley Borough Council who own the ground. To be fair l feel very sorry for Matt Moss, working on that quagmire of a pitch must have been absolutely terrible. Virtually ever since the Broadfield Stadium was built they have had the same problem, obviously exacerbated in recent weeks with all the heavy rain on it. As l see it, it needs to be dug up at the end of the season and a completely new surface laid.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Crawley are outsourcing pitch maintenance and telling players they need to take a pay cut if they want to stay on next season.

All the time they were rising, all we heard was they are living beyond their means. They sold off a whole load of players for decent money and cut their cloth and now they are tin pot.

Personally I have no antipathy to them. Having a second league club in Sussex has been more help than hindrance to us.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Makes me wonder why the FA won't allow the use of 3G or 4G pitches in this country for teams Conference and above. They are used elsewhere inthe world, and are used lower down the leagues here. Makse no sense that a club like Maidstone United has a better playing surface than Crawley town, all down to the whim of the FA. More to the point, if Maidstone United get promoted they will either have to dig up a pefectly good 3G playing surface and put down an inferior grass one, or groundshare elswhere. The FA has a lot to answer for, not that they ever will.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Makes me wonder why the FA won't allow the use of 3G or 4G pitches in this country for teams Conference and above. They are used elsewhere inthe world, and are used lower down the leagues here. Makse no sense that a club like Maidstone United has a better playing surface than Crawley town, all down to the whim of the FA. More to the point, if Maidstone United get promoted they will either have to dig up a pefectly good 3G playing surface and put down an inferior grass one, or groundshare elswhere. The FA has a lot to answer for, not that they ever will.

its actually Ryman Premier or above. so not even conference south allow 3G/4G pitches. its ludicrous, we had a good chat on this the other day, I cant find the thread now.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
But they are now advertising today for matchday staff ?????

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
its actually Ryman Premier or above. so not even conference south allow 3G/4G pitches. its ludicrous, we had a good chat on this the other day, I cant find the thread now.

3G pitches can be used in Step 7 (Ryman Premier) and below leagues, Maidstone are in the Ryman Premier.

Gregory has just got 4 points away at Walsall and Swindon - that's promotion form. Reports of their death are greatly exaggerated, with Gregory they have found a good fit who could keep them at that levels for a few seasons to come

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Makes me wonder why the FA won't allow the use of 3G or 4G pitches in this country for teams Conference and above.

What's the difference between 3G & 4G?

I assume 4G is more expensive, a lot faster, but not available everywhere yet.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
What's the difference between 3G & 4G?

I assume 4G is more expensive, a lot faster, but not available everywhere yet.

The differences between 3G, 4G and 5G pitches are subtle. 3G pitches have the sand and rubber compound particles, 4G have no particles but a rubber shock pad underlay. 5G pitches have fully rubber particles to provide the correct bounce the artificial surface needs. There is already research and development underway by manufacturers in the sixth generation of surface.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
So, the council own the stadium and will now be responsible for maintaining the pitch?
Anything else the club would like them to do? Supply the players? Make the burgers? Clean the kit?

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
I remember when Crawley were in the Conference with Eastbourne Borough and Crawley were throwing silly money at playing budgets and Eastbourne were spent their money on their pitch which was built on a swamp. Eastbourne spent £100,000 on undersoil drainage and have a perfect green playing surface.
Crawley have not spent a penny on their playing surface and decide to make their groundsman the scapegoat. TINPOT

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Like you I haven't an axe to grind with Crawley. I am interested however, in why you think they've been a help to us.

1 Decent pre-season friendly.

2 In our darkest days we had to share radio coverage with Woking and Kingstonian. Thanks to BBC Sussex and expletive deleted.

I never ever want to hear updates from that county of Nigels EVER again.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
1 Decent pre-season friendly.

2 In our darkest days we had to share radio coverage with Woking and Kingstonian. Thanks to BBC Sussex and expletive deleted.

I never ever want to hear updates from that county of Nigels EVER again.

Okay fair enough on point one but on point two, do you mean share coverage as in updates or as in full commentary? I can't remember them getting more than updates. They still cover Woking now on the programme unfortunately. Worse still (and I realise it's another county again) but the coverage for Aldershot is ridiculous. Why on earth it's not on a Hampshire station is beyond me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here