Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Red or Dead - David Peace

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Just reading this book about Shankly by the guy who wrote The Damned United.

Wonderfully evocative of the era and of the legend, can highly recommend it. Anyone else read it? The contrast with Vincent Tan couldn't be greater. Shankly didn't believe in luck, just hard work and attention to detail. He wasn't interested in money (lived in the same modest house the whole time) just the glory for the fans. :clap2:

PG

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Hadn't heard of that particulat book but will definitely check it out. He's an excellent writer. I just revisited one of my favourite books as a kid "Goalkeepers are Different" by Brian Glanville. Also evocative of its era and what it was like as a kid then getting into professionalfootball.

fcportaloo

Nov 1, 2009
Just reading this book about Shankly by the guy who wrote The Damned United.

Wonderfully evocative of the era and of the legend, can highly recommend it. Anyone else read it? The contrast with Vincent Tan couldn't be greater. Shankly didn't believe in luck, just hard work and attention to detail. He wasn't interested in money (lived in the same modest house the whole time) just the glory for the fans. :clap2:

PG

I've read it. The style of the writing made it feel like I was living inside the 'obsessive will to win' world of Shankly. Great book about a great man. What really surprised me was teams having to play on consecutive days, sometimes really important games. Not sure what Shankly would make of Rooney on £300k p/w

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I have not read this one but will check it out. Strangely, on the day Tom Finney died, someone bought a whole pile of old sports books into my shop and in there was "Finney on Football" and the Matt Busby book. Am reading the Secret Footballer at the moment, but those 2 are next.

They don't seem to like it much on Amazon. Only three stars and the general feeling seems to be written in a very repetitive style. Quite put me off. Plus it's 7 odd quid, most of the Kindle books I buy from Amazon are a quid or so, often less!

Cheepskate? Me?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
His Red Riding books are brilliant. It's a violent portrayal of life between 1974 and 1983 in the Yorkshire Police Force. I can't recommend it enough. Not always easy to read though.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Has anyone read this AND the Damned United? If so, is it a bit same old same old?

Yes & yes but after initially struggling with the repetition it became quite mesmeric over long sittings. Having said that it wouldn't surprise me if many don't make it all the way through because it's quite a challenging style (especially over the longer Red or Dead).

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
I have not read this one but will check it out. Strangely, on the day Tom Finney died, someone bought a whole pile of old sports books into my shop and in there was "Finney on Football" and the Matt Busby book. Am reading the Secret Footballer at the moment, but those 2 are next.

Secret footballer loved it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here