Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why are BRITISH sides so rubbish in Europe this season ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Only ONE club (Chelsea) look likely to survive this round and play in the last 8 of either competition.

I've noticed that Spurs are on ITV1 tonight. If Man Utd play in this plate competition next season, does that mean we're going to have to put up with their crap early matches on ITV1, given their size? I fcking hope not.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Arsenal and City are playing the best 2 teams in Europe. Man United are a shadow of the side they used to be and came up against an Olympiakos side full of confidence, buoyed by an unbeaten domestic campaign so far. Chelsea will beat Galatasaray, but it's a tough game when you consider that Galatasaray eliminated the runaway best team in Italy in the group phase by taking 4 points off them. Swansea lost narrowly to 1 of the best teams in the Europa League, who would've qualified for the last 16 of the Champions League this season had they landed in any other group. Ultimately, they just ran out of puff and were undone by a quality finish from a world class striker. Tottenham will probably go through now Dnipro have had a man sent off, but they have struggled because they are not an especially good team and have a rookie manager.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Do away goals count in the Europa league or is there extra time?

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Only ONE club (Chelsea) look likely to survive this round and play in the last 8 of either competition.

I've noticed that Spurs are on ITV1 tonight. If Man Utd play in this plate competition next season, does that mean we're going to have to put up with their crap early matches on ITV1, given their size? I fcking hope not.

ITV1 will not be able to go without their Man Utd fix. Lets hope they don't even qualify for the Europa.

ruthers

Feb 24, 2013
Do away goals count in the Europa league or is there extra time?
Spurs needed the third goal. Disgraceful sending off...Vertonghen went looking for that and conned the ref. Feel sorry for the chap sent off.
...I thought if fouls occurred in the box it was a penalty regardless whether the corner kick or free kick had been taken?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Away goals count, but with that superb Adebayor goal they have the advantage in both the number of goals and the number of players on the pitch.

If they can't go through from this position they don't deserve European football

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Adebayor is a BEAST!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You are very flexible for your age Ernest, not many people can put their foot in their mouth with such ease.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Weak sending off, but if the bloke is going to make any forward motion with his head towards Vertonghen then he knows what's coming - players know this.

Also: Soldado is awful. I've not watched much of Spurs this season but why AVB chose to play him over Adebayor is baffling.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Spurs needed the third goal. Disgraceful sending off...Vertonghen went looking for that and conned the ref. Feel sorry for the chap sent off.
...I thought if fouls occurred in the box it was a penalty regardless whether the corner kick or free kick had been taken?

Generally speaking, if you headbutt someone in the penalty area there's a good chance you'll be sent off. Bonehead defender.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Weak sending off, but if the bloke is going to make any forward motion with his head towards Vertonghen then he knows what's coming - players know this.

Also: Soldado is awful. I've not watched much of Spurs this season but why AVB chose to play him over Adebayor is baffling.

Not the way I saw it. Vertonghen put his head in and threw himself at the floor. Dreadful cheating and should be banned if replays show that. Feel sorry for the player sent off. No wonder he went barmy.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Not the way I saw it. Vertonghen put his head in and threw himself at the floor. Dreadful cheating and should be banned if replays show that. Feel sorry for the player sent off. No wonder he went barmy.

I'd watch the replays again. By the looks of it he was reacting to Vertonghen pushing into the defensive line during the free-kick, so he gave him a little nut. It's not a big one, but there's definite movement and he deserves to go for that. He went barmy because it was admittedly soft...but the rules are rules.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You have to watch it though - it wasn't that clear cut and was pure gamesmanship on Vertonghen's behalf.

I did watch it. You could see Vertonghen's head vibrate from the contact. Whatever way you dice it he headbutted him.

ruthers

Feb 24, 2013
Generally speaking, if you headbutt someone in the penalty area there's a good chance you'll be sent off. Bonehead.
Hardly a head butt. He moved his head towards a player that was aggressively pushing his head towards him and Vertonghen barged through a bunch of players to incite him.
I'm not saying he was guilt free but it was all instigated by Vertonghen and the over reaction of him & Dawson.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here