Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pubs in and around Hassocks for lunch - advice needed

I'm meeting a friend in Hassocks in 10 days time and we want to go to a nice pub for lunch. Having moved there when I was 13 I know lots of pubs but I think they might have changed a bit since 1959!

So any suggestions for a nice pub lunch will be most appreciated.

The Bull at Ditchling always did good lunches, is that still good?

Friars Oak was a bit boring when I lived there but I think they are a lot better now, anybody know that pub?

Or any better suggestions?

Thanks in advance, I know NSC won't let me down.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The Bull is still lovely. Bit pricey.

I had dinner at the Friars Oak recently, but I thought the service was a bit lame and expensive for what it was. Small servings and a see-through prawn was deemed to be cooked..!

Straight contest between the two - The Bull wins with a round one KO.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
The Bull is still nice. Slightly pricey but nice.

The Friars Oak is one of those Vintage Inns (?) chain pubs. Alright. Nothing special. Wouldn't particularly recommend anything else in Hassocks. Ditchling is close enough I think?

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
The Thatched Inn, no contest. Proper local pub, not part of a chain. Excellent food at reasonable prices, good variety from pub classics to the more adventurous. I had one of the best steaks for a long time at New Year

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Friars Oak - chain pub, decent menu, ok-ish, reliable
Thatch (The Thatched Inn) - good, don't think it's a chain, lots of daily specials, 'home cooked' feel
Jack and Jill - foot of the South Downs but I haven't eaten there for a while so won't comment other than has always been ok
The Greyhound - good, comparable to the Thatch
The Bull - as above, posher pub grub
Hassocks Hotel (by the station) - really a pub, down to earth place
Another option you could choose is Mid Sussex Golf Club 5 mins away - very good menu/food
The Half Moon (10 mins from Hassocks) - hidden away at the foot of the Downs on the Plumpton Road, excellent

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Food at the friars oak has definitely improved recently. Still pretty bog standard as far as pubs go, but that's what you'd expect from a chain pub.

Go to Ditchling, The Bull or The White Horse

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
The Thatched Inn is your best bet. Lovely food and good service. Used to like Friars Oak, but have been less impressed on my last few visits there.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Loads of choice at the Thatch, can't really go wrong.

Friars Oak last time had great service but bang average food.

Greyhound has always been good. Great for a roast!

The Hassocks is great for a pint and a packet of crisps if your trains late. Love the pub but not sure I'd eat there.

As someone said earlier, if you've got transport, the half moon at Plumpton is the place to head for.

EUB430

Feb 2, 2013
Another recommendation for the Thatched Inn, lots of choice of good food with local ingredients, and good size portions. They do a good pint as well and very friendly.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
The Thatched Inn is a good shout. If you fancy traveling a bit further the TopHouse in Burgess Hill up from the station now does really good food. I eat there on a regular basis and haven't had a bad meal yet.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here