Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brain trauma extends to the football pitch

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
(CTE) Chronic traumatic encephalopathy was previously linked to sports where violent collisions could occur like American Football and boxing. An article in today’s New York Times also links it to the death of a 29 year old American soccer player. Doctors cannot say for certain if heading the ball caused the condition but he was known to be a frequent header of the ball. His parents said they wish they had discouraged him from heading the ball as a youngster.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/27/sports/soccer/researchers-find-brain-trauma-disease-in-a-soccer-player.html?ref=soccer&_r=0

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
It really doesn't surprise me that heading a ball does some head damage. When I played, I wouldn't header the ball because people decided to pump it up to much and it'd be like heading a rock. I remember someone in my team getting slightly concussed because he was the only one in the whole game who would head this keeper's kick that was ridiculously high.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Jeff Astle who played for West Brom died of a degenerative brain disease at the age of 59 in 2002 , the coroner recorded the verdict as death by industrial injury.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here