Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football V Homophobia

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
So Millwall FC decide to make this a news item just before they play Brighton.
I know why of course but it can also be misconstrued that Millwall think that all Brighton fans are queer so don't take the p*** out of them.
It will also probably fan the flames for their ballsack fans and they also don't know that most Brighton fans don't give stuff about it and find it boring and infantile.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Bored of it all if i'm honest.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The Millwall forum is always a good read leading up to this match.
If you take ignorance out of the equation some of the posts on there are sometimes very funny.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Millwall have been at the forefront of this campaign, not just this week. Fair play to them.

PG

D

Deleted member 22389

Does anyone get a little annoyed that when homophobia is mentioned everyone uses as an example.
You know I'm proud that the club has done a lot in helping to stamp this out, I suppose for sponsorship purposes it does make our club look better, but there are other city's that has a Gay community you know.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
If we have to be the 'poster boy' to lead the attempted elimination of homophobia in football then, in the words of another, "bring it on".

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Does anyone get a little annoyed that when homophobia is mentioned everyone uses as an example.
You know I'm proud that the club has done a lot in helping to stamp this out, I suppose for sponsorship purposes it does make our club look better, but there are other city's that has a Gay community you know.

Just a tad, Manchester have a massive gay community and it's about time that other clubs bared their arses to the campaign. No pun intended.

D

Deleted member 22389

Just a tad, Manchester have a massive gay community and it's about time that other clubs bared their arses to the campaign. No pun intended.

Honestly if other clubs got behind the campaign for their own Gay communities, I don't think some of the supporters could handle it. We have been an easy target.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
We have an easy target for far too long.

First man through the wall is always the bravest and what is 'far too long' in relation to leading the way for equal rights? I'm proud of this team's and this city's role in highlighting the issue.

"Too long"? Long may it last, I say.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Brighton isn't even THAT gay, it just has a reputation because it has a few gay pubs and clubs dotted around Kemptown.

I have no idea of the demographics, but from experience there seems to be far more of each of students & families than gay people in Brighton & Hove - yet we don't have a reputation as a student town.

I seem to remember that we had the first Pride event here one day, and the next day I woke up in the gay capital of the universe :lolol:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Brighton isn't even THAT gay, it just has a reputation because it has a few gay pubs and clubs dotted around Kemptown.

I have no idea of the demographics, but from experience there seems to be far more of each of students & families than gay people in Brighton & Hove - yet we don't have a reputation as a student town.

Um, yes we do.

It's not about measuring the relative mince or the length of lashes to define whether somewhere is 'gay'. Brighton has a reasonable sized gay community. For some, that's enough to give it a 'reputation'.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I think it's just symptomatic of peoples' attitude to homosexuality in general. We have a somewhat higher proportion of gay people living in Brighton. So what? Gay people live everywhere.

It's easy to get bored of all this, but it's a fight worth having I think.

I'd imagine this young lad was bored of it all as well...

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2012/feb/19/dominic-crouch-homophobic-bullying-suicide

Perhaps in an environment that didn't see homophobic bullying as acceptable he would still be alive. You only have to look at twitter after Brighton games to see how some people feel it is ok to throw homophobic abuse about.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Ive thought about banning the term "man on" from my kids team....just in case someone on a very high horse objects...

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Ive thought about banning the term "man on" from my kids team....just in case someone on a very high horse objects...
You are going to get for another thumbs down watch out, Pathetic :lolol:

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Just dont use the term "man up"

Why not? An attempt at humour that misses the mark isn't humour. Why are gay men not men? I don't mean to sound harsh but this sort of reaction shows how some need to reassess their understanding of a number of things. The reaction to Michael Sam coming out has illustrated this point perfectly.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/others/first-openly-gay-nfl-hopeful-michael-sam-told-football-is-a-man-sport-by-mississippi-state-player-rufus-warren-9121910.html

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Why not? An attempt at humour that misses the mark isn't humour. Why are gay men not men? I don't mean to sound harsh but this sort of reaction shows how some need to reassess their understanding of a number of things. The reaction to Michael Sam coming out has illustrated this point perfectly.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/others/first-openly-gay-nfl-hopeful-michael-sam-told-football-is-a-man-sport-by-mississippi-state-player-rufus-warren-9121910.html

Couldnt have put it better myself to be fair

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here