Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Whitehawk Born and Bred

Dad to be help! To renew or not to renew.

0 Not allowed!
    May be quite obvious from the title but my wife is Pregnant, she is due in August with our first child.

This is of course great news, although leaves me in a bit of a dilemma. Having never had a child before there is obvious costs involved meaning we are going to be spending more each week on nappies and other things then we would be now. There is also a lot of sleepless nights and I am sure steep learning curves after our new arrival. It sure is going to change things.

I am in a bit of a dilemma about my season ticket, do I renew or do I not and concentrate on the baby? It would be great to keep the cash put to one side as my wife is not going to be working for a full 12 months. The time I am away from home for the football weekends and midweeks may also be time best spent with my new family. Giving the mrs that well earned rest instead of going to a night game to watch a 0-0 or 1-0 on a damp Tuesday evening?

So, what do I do? Mrs is fine with it, she said go, although I am not sure I should? Are there any Dads out there that thought the same when their new arrival was born? What did you do when you had a newborn? Did you sacrifice much when you had your first child?

Good folk on NSC, its over to you.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Stick with it but make sure you support your Mrs at other times, and recognise you might have to miss the odd game. Not sure if you go away but perhaps cut that out.

You will need some 'me' time too.

Hope it all goes well - it's the most rewarding, fantastic (but knackering) time.

PG
      Harry!Harry!Harry!
      Brighton v Crystal Palace
      Games won: 40
      Games drawn: 26
      Games lost: 37

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by elninobonito View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Having never had a child before there is obvious costs involved meaning we are going to be spending more each week on nappies and other things then we would be now.
      How much are you currently spending on nappies?

Before giving a serious answer, please answer the following:

Are you still living down here (ie, is a game a few hours away from home, or more)?
      What are your work hours like?
      If you kept the ticket, could you sell (as you can't afford to give) half the tickets to mates?
      If you don't keep the ticket, do you have mates that will sell you plenty of tickets (at ST prices) through the year?
      Thank you Chris, you're a legend.
      Whitehawk Born and Bred

0 Not allowed!
      Thanks PG, just so difficult to know what to do for the best.

It sure is exciting times in our household.
      Whitehawk Born and Bred

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Triggaaar View Post
      How much are you currently spending on nappies?
      Nothing

0 Not allowed!
      May be quite obvious from the title but my wife is Pregnant, she is due in August with our first child.

This is of course great news, although leaves me in a bit of a dilemma. Having never had a child before there is obvious costs involved meaning we are going to be spending more each week on nappies and other things then we would be now. There is also a lot of sleepless nights and I am sure steep learning curves after our new arrival. It sure is going to change things.

I am in a bit of a dilemma about my season ticket, do I renew or do I not and concentrate on the baby? It would be great to keep the cash put to one side as my wife is not going to be working for a full 12 months. The time I am away from home for the football weekends and midweeks may also be time best spent with my new family. Giving the mrs that well earned rest instead of going to a night game to watch a 0-0 or 1-0 on a damp Tuesday evening?

So, what do I do? Mrs is fine with it, she said go, although I am not sure I should? Are there any Dads out there that thought the same when their new arrival was born? What did you do when you had a newborn? Did you sacrifice much when you had your first child?

I'm in the same boat - first one due in July & I'm keeping my ST.
      100% UNOFFICIAL WHC Statistician
      100% Honey Badgerista

0 Not allowed!

You won't actually spend anymore money because you'll go out a lot less (like hardly at all!) because you'll be too knackered and so any additional expenditure on nappies and baby stuff will be paid for with the money you aren't paying for on meals out, drinking, cinema, theatre, new clothes etc. etc.

I have 3 now, but with my first weekends were pretty important a) for me to do the whole father thing after a week at work, and b) vital for the wife who needed her own break from the baby after a full week of it. That said it's not like it's every Saturday and given you'll probably go out less as above, then an ST might still be a perfect way to keep some of your old life going!
      Lethargy in motion Monsieur Le Plonk's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      She has said she is fine with it so, as long as you don't financially kill yourself, do it.
      I always find the best thing to do is giving Mum time off in the morning before a game as a sweetener.
      Once you stop going regularly you might find the barriers appear when you start wishing to go regularly in years down the line.
      If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

0 Not allowed!
      Firstly, massive congratulations.

I was in the exact same position a few years ago. I was not sure whether to give it up or not but ended up not renewing. I now find myself in a position whereby I have the financial backing to be able to get one again and afford all the baby/child (now 4 years old) stuff, however the Mrs. has got used to me being around on Saturdays again and therefore has become a bit of an issue. Along the lines of 'why should you suddenly get every other Saturday at the football and I have to look after mini man. I would also take into account how far away you live, I live in Reading so for me a home game is still pretty much a whole day away.

I would say to keep it and just be aware that you will miss the occasional game. It will be the best time of your life, but as always stated, you need your you time and once given up completely it is a bit hard to get it back!
      -- he shot, he scored, his mental age is 4...--
      Whitehawk Born and Bred

0 Not allowed!
      Cheers for all the advice guys, think I will renew.

Can miss the odd game and maybe just go on Saturdays.

I'll be the tired one at the back of the North Stand