Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dad to be help! To renew or not to renew.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
May be quite obvious from the title but my wife is Pregnant, she is due in August with our first child.

This is of course great news, although leaves me in a bit of a dilemma. Having never had a child before there is obvious costs involved meaning we are going to be spending more each week on nappies and other things then we would be now. There is also a lot of sleepless nights and I am sure steep learning curves after our new arrival. It sure is going to change things.

I am in a bit of a dilemma about my season ticket, do I renew or do I not and concentrate on the baby? It would be great to keep the cash put to one side as my wife is not going to be working for a full 12 months. The time I am away from home for the football weekends and midweeks may also be time best spent with my new family. Giving the mrs that well earned rest instead of going to a night game to watch a 0-0 or 1-0 on a damp Tuesday evening?

So, what do I do? Mrs is fine with it, she said go, although I am not sure I should? Are there any Dads out there that thought the same when their new arrival was born? What did you do when you had a newborn? Did you sacrifice much when you had your first child?

Good folk on NSC, its over to you.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Stick with it but make sure you support your Mrs at other times, and recognise you might have to miss the odd game. Not sure if you go away but perhaps cut that out.

You will need some 'me' time too.

Hope it all goes well - it's the most rewarding, fantastic (but knackering) time.

PG

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Having never had a child before there is obvious costs involved meaning we are going to be spending more each week on nappies and other things then we would be now.
How much are you currently spending on nappies?

Before giving a serious answer, please answer the following:

Are you still living down here (ie, is a game a few hours away from home, or more)?
What are your work hours like?
If you kept the ticket, could you sell (as you can't afford to give) half the tickets to mates?
If you don't keep the ticket, do you have mates that will sell you plenty of tickets (at ST prices) through the year?

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Thanks PG, just so difficult to know what to do for the best.

It sure is exciting times in our household.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
May be quite obvious from the title but my wife is Pregnant, she is due in August with our first child.

This is of course great news, although leaves me in a bit of a dilemma. Having never had a child before there is obvious costs involved meaning we are going to be spending more each week on nappies and other things then we would be now. There is also a lot of sleepless nights and I am sure steep learning curves after our new arrival. It sure is going to change things.

I am in a bit of a dilemma about my season ticket, do I renew or do I not and concentrate on the baby? It would be great to keep the cash put to one side as my wife is not going to be working for a full 12 months. The time I am away from home for the football weekends and midweeks may also be time best spent with my new family. Giving the mrs that well earned rest instead of going to a night game to watch a 0-0 or 1-0 on a damp Tuesday evening?

So, what do I do? Mrs is fine with it, she said go, although I am not sure I should? Are there any Dads out there that thought the same when their new arrival was born? What did you do when you had a newborn? Did you sacrifice much when you had your first child?

I'm in the same boat - first one due in July & I'm keeping my ST.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

You won't actually spend anymore money because you'll go out a lot less (like hardly at all!) because you'll be too knackered and so any additional expenditure on nappies and baby stuff will be paid for with the money you aren't paying for on meals out, drinking, cinema, theatre, new clothes etc. etc.

I have 3 now, but with my first weekends were pretty important a) for me to do the whole father thing after a week at work, and b) vital for the wife who needed her own break from the baby after a full week of it. That said it's not like it's every Saturday and given you'll probably go out less as above, then an ST might still be a perfect way to keep some of your old life going!

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
She has said she is fine with it so, as long as you don't financially kill yourself, do it.
I always find the best thing to do is giving Mum time off in the morning before a game as a sweetener.
Once you stop going regularly you might find the barriers appear when you start wishing to go regularly in years down the line.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Firstly, massive congratulations.

I was in the exact same position a few years ago. I was not sure whether to give it up or not but ended up not renewing. I now find myself in a position whereby I have the financial backing to be able to get one again and afford all the baby/child (now 4 years old) stuff, however the Mrs. has got used to me being around on Saturdays again and therefore has become a bit of an issue. Along the lines of 'why should you suddenly get every other Saturday at the football and I have to look after mini man. I would also take into account how far away you live, I live in Reading so for me a home game is still pretty much a whole day away.

I would say to keep it and just be aware that you will miss the occasional game. It will be the best time of your life, but as always stated, you need your you time and once given up completely it is a bit hard to get it back!

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Cheers for all the advice guys, think I will renew.

Can miss the odd game and maybe just go on Saturdays.

I'll be the tired one at the back of the North Stand

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Our first is due on Sunday and I will be keeping my season ticket. Concerning the money issue, which stand are you in? If there's a cheaper stand maybe consider moving.

If you're missus is cool with it then I see no problem with a few hours away now and then, you still need time to yourself.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
I'm in the same boat, we're expecting our first at the end of June.

Our initial discussions in terms of our finances saw me offer to give up my season ticket and maybe go to watch the Albion once in a while, however, my wife told me that she did not want me to give up going to football, so we're going to see how that works out. If we really become financially stretched, we'll have to think again.

I'm really looking forward to bringing a future Albion fan into the world, but not looking forward to the sleepless nights!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Cancel and buy tickets at the last minute for games that suit. There'll always be room.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Always a difficult one, I had to give my Season Ticket up at the Goldstone (in the January so I gave the rest of the season to a friend) when my daughter was born. Because SMP was really crap in them days my wife had to go back to work within a couple of weeks and she worked weekends while I worked in the week, therefore I was in charge on football days. I therefore missed a lot of the dark years but now all three of us are STH's so this makes up for it.

I think the ability to pay by DD helps a lot to keep a ST and its still cost effective if you cannot make midweek games, or you pass it onto somebody else.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I think the ability to pay by DD helps a lot to keep a ST and its still cost effective if you cannot make midweek games, or you pass it onto somebody else.

Agree with this - and if there wasn't a DD option I'd be less certain about renewing with a baby on the way. But as it stands it's minimal risk, (and if I can't maike a match there's always someone who will take the ticket for a few quid).

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
If you cancel and go to those that suit you best you'll have the chance to take seats in various parts of our brilliant stadium, and you may be able to buy on the day, so if there's projectile vomiting, coughs, sniffles, colic, runny nappies, visiting in laws etc, you can escape to the Amex.

Is your other half getting the pay and allowances for maternity leave. How much is the Family Allowance these days ?

You'll probably be saying goodbye to sleep for the forseeable future, so the peace and quiet of the North Stand would be good. You can get a stewarded sit down, too !

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
its a no brainer mate as long as you have a dark cupboard you can lock and an endless supply of gruel !!:lolol:

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
Congratulations!

My little girl was born just as CMS scored his first goal agaisnt Leeds during the home game last season! (I was watching on skyGo on my phone, don't tell the Mrs)
Managed to fight off the urge to name her Craig....!!

I have kept my season ticket on, and it is really important to have a few hours away for yourself every other saturday in my opinon (have missed the odd evening game)
As stated by a few others, finacially hasn't really been a problem as have't been able to spend money elsewhere (nights out etc)

Also puts the odd defeat into perspective, more important things in life and all that! Baby doesn't care whether Jon Obika is going to cut the mustard or not!

Good luck :cheers:

EDIT: Can I add, that I was watching the game on SkyGO, the birth was not broadcast.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Congratulations!

No experience whatsoever but if your wife says go, and you think you can afford it. Do it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here