Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yer uvver arf and football

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Whilst watching the Albions F.A game on Monday night Mrs Birkin came into the front room after making a cup of tea and sat on the sofa next to me. Seeing my quite obvious state of distress at our 1st half performance she uttered that old dreaded phrase "come on, it's only a game of football" and "just switch it off if it's upsetting you"
Now, if my blood wasn't boiling already at our lackluster display, to borrow a line from Samuel L Jackson I was now "superfly t.n.t guns of the navarone"
In any other situation you could see her point but this is Brighton and Hove Albion for Christ sake :)
But she isn't a football fan, so she doesn't care one way or the other.
Anyway, what's your other half like with your relationship with the Albion and football in general? Are they cool with you watching football, or do they hate it. Do they moan about you going to games or are they as fanatical and have a season ticket?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
MINE has learnt not to use such phrases. She just says "oh dear" when she sees the score.

Buying an iPad is one of the best things I ever did, meaning we can watch different things while still being sat together.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Ha, my other half wanted to watch the game on Monday night, I was 'meh' seeing as we were playing a partly reserve team v a Premier League side. The performance stood up to my initial 'meh' and I was happy to turn over after the 1st goal, but she insisted she wanted to watch it till the end. I read my copy of Practical Fish Keeping.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
My missus was always a big fan too and is a STH. Our second date was a Seagull Special train to Ashton Gate 1979!

PG

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
For some reason, girls seem to think that, being beautiful, in erotic lingerie, if not naked, will somehow excuse them from being shouted at if they stand in front of the tv during Brighton or England matches...current finally understands, but have had serious problems with previous gf's.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Mine is a season ticket holder but she still can't quite understand why I get annoyed and frustrated at bad Albion experiences, such as Monday night first half.

I do think many women have that "it is only a game" mentality. Don't harangue me Edna, not including you.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Mrs P is extremely understanding when it comes to all things Albion. She doesn't understand why I get so emotional about it (to be honest, nor do I sometimes), but irrespective of that, she never says anything about it and leaves me be if we've suffered a bad defeat.

She has also got used to, and a little reluctantly accepts, the fact that if we are due to go out on a Saturday night after a game, then the enjoyment factor of that night out is usually determined by the Albion result.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Ha, my other half wanted to watch the game on Monday night, I was 'meh' seeing as we were playing a partly reserve team v a Premier League side. The performance stood up to my initial 'meh' and I was happy to turn over after the 1st goal, but she insisted she wanted to watch it till the end. I read my copy of Practical Fish Keeping.

You sir are an utter DISGRACE! :wink:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
My g/f isn't interested at all, but we've struck a tacit deal: I feign interest in shoes, haircuts, nail varnish colours and whether or not her bum looks big in an item of clothing (I never tell her it does, of course) and she feigns interest in football. She'll ask, in a somewhat distracted way, how we did, how "that Spanish chap" has played and whether or not I'm happy with the team. She once strayed in dangerous territory when she asked when we're playing Chelsea next, but I forgave her ignorance. The worst situation was when I took her to the Amex to see her first game earlier this season, when she said at kick-off, "Now, you're the ones in stripes, yes?". Perhaps, I should take the plunge and tell her that her bum does look big in something after all. Hmmm.

Oct 25, 2003
Mine now comes to games with me. She can now identify who us good and who is shit and vaguely what constitutes good and bad play.

Probably getting season tickets together next season

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Mine moans about going to games and watching on the TV but I think secretly she loves it. She would never ever admit that though.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
my other half in very good with football she always supports English sides in Europe and has a good knowledge about Albion, she thought we looked pathetic in the first half on Monday but thought we gave it all in the second, and like thousands of others could not understand why we did not use KLL and March in the first half
she also could not understand why I did not support MU on Tuesday..............................so not all good then

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Mine now comes to games with me. She can now identify who us good and who is shit and vaguely what constitutes good and bad play.

Probably getting season tickets together next season

Make sure to keep her language under control, she's a disgrace to the modern game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Mine decided to go to bed after my outrage and swearing at the comedy first goal on Monday, she doesn't much like the erky football fan in me.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Mrs Foul Play is generally alright to be honest. She doesn't like football but does know when not to say anything. Her only gripe is that she can't keep track of all the fixtures. I helpfully tell her "If in doubt then check the website my love".
I'm still not exactly sure what she mumbles under her breath at me but pretty sure it's not complimentary.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
MINE takes an active interest in our results, recognises most of our players and is happy to come along to a couple of games a season.

Her favourite things about football: Gus Poyet*, Drinking a pint very quickly at half time, Listening to groups of lads swearing, Adam El Abd, "Who?" & Gordon Greer.

*She witnessed an incident where Gus went postal after seeing us lose possession in midfield; he kicked a water bottle and shouted "FACKing Sheet, Facking facking SHEET" in the direction of Tanno. This remains her favourite moment in football.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
My wife is into football even more than I am....as well as being ST holders at the Amex she'll watch any game that's on TV, while I really cant be bothered to watch tbh....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here