Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
And to wrap up the quarters...

sky_mx_sports21.png

Quarter Final FOUR

===

Blackadder

Blackadder460.jpg

Could this go the whole way? Top scorer in the tournament so far, is that a show of strength or merely the weakness of Mr B's opponents thus far?

vs

===

Porridge

porridge_1_396x222.jpg

It could be argued that it has done well to get this far, however it does have fans.

Use this chance to post QUOTES and VIDEOS to support your chosen comedy. Semi finals to follow.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Porridge is good but this'll be probably the most one sided of the quarters.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
This is painful. Despite Porridge being the best sitcom of the pre-80s I have to go with Blackadder as I was bought up with it (despite it's dreadful first series).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not convinced the Blackadder brigade will need to do much here to ensure progression.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
This is painful. Despite Porridge being the best sitcom of the pre-80s I have to go with Blackadder as I was bought up with it (despite it's dreadful first series).

And therein lies the conundrum. Every episode of Porridge was strong, some of Blackadder was not (am personally not keen on series 3 and 4).

I am going to buck the trend and vote Porridge.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Baldrick has a cunning plan , he put some "special" raisins in the Porridge.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
I don't expect this will be a popular view, but I think Blackadder has dated horribly. I used to love it, but when I saw it again recently I was struck by how old-fashioned it seemed. Some of the set ups, jokes and similes I found absolutely painful in their groanworthiness, and I just didn't find it particularly amusing.

A futile vote for Porridge for me.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I feel that in many ways Porridge was the better of the two - no weak episode / series, funnier script. Only Rowan Atkinson could have played Blackadder and made that character so successful because he is a brilliant physical comedians as well as being a great comic actor. I've gone with Blackadder because of the genius of Atkinson, but it could easily have gone the other way.

With Porridge there was no slapstick, no swearing. They don't make comedies like that anymore, where the product is simply a good script and good acting.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Both great in their own way, but I think Porridge is probably Ronnie Barker's finest work and Fulton McKay and Richard Beckinsale were both excellent too. Considering it is 40 years old now, I think it has aged pretty well and is still very funny. On that basis, although I do love Blackadder as well, I'm giving it to Norman Stanley Fletcher.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Porridge ! The best natural comedy act ever by anyone , so quick witted , funny and natural by Ronnie Barker in Porridge . Not so good at his other comedies . Blackadder was good too but Porridge for me !!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Anyone who doesn't vote Blackadder is madder than Mad Jack McMad, the winner of last year's Mr Madman competition.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Blackadder will win, but it's really nowhere near as good as Porridge.

Porridge was consistently well written and beautifully acted. Blackadder had its moments but suffered from the schoolboy sniggery humour of Ben Elton at times, and the self-indulgent tosh offered by Richard Curtis at others.

There were some good cameos in Blackadder, but as a piece of comedic art it's just miles behind Porridge.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It's funny, everyone is posting comments trying to justify why Porridge is supposedly better than Blackadder, yet Blackadder is STORMING into the lead completely oblivious.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Porridge will probably fall down because - for the most part - it doesn't have memorable scenes.

Great writing, great dialogue, great acting - yes. Apart from possibly "I got my eye on you, Fletchaarrr..." it doesn't really have a catchphrase or a memorable repeated line. Also, if it was made nowadays, it would probably be filmed without a studio audience.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's funny, everyone is posting comments trying to justify why Porridge is supposedly better than Blackadder, yet Blackadder is STORMING into the lead completely oblivious.

Like I said, Blackadder's fans don't need to say anything.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Yes it was poor. Probably wouldn't get a 2nd series nowadays?

I would have thought that Blackadder would have an edge as many of the younger NSC voters wouldn't have seen it ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here