Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man United Bizarre Season Ticket Policy

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
So this was news to me when I read it today

A season ticket at Old Trafford covers 19 home games. However fans are contractually obligated to purchase all home FA Cup and Champions League tickets. Failure to do so results in there season ticket being suspended for the following league game and put on general sale.

That is shocking.

It is, and the next game they have to buy is the 2nd leg against Olympiakos, if they fail to do so they won't be able to attend the Manc Derby.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
Their season tickets are quite reasonably priced though considering (bar this season) they are a top premier league club. So it's probably not bad value even if you can't shift the cup ticket.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I don't see anything 'shocking' about those terms.

All they are doing is selling a season ticket for ALL home games not just Premier League Home games. If fans don't want to buy on those terms then nobody is forcing them.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I don't think this is new(s), Man U have had this policy, or a very similar one, for some time IIRC.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It's basically saying, in BHA terms, that "silver" membership doesn't exist, only "Gold" does. From the club's perspective it substantially eases the burden of trying to sell Cup & CL tickets. I'd have thought that United's S/T waiting list is plenty long enough for them to get away with only selling a "Gold" package....

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
This site went into melt down when our club sent out an email about 50% discount on merchandise after the Hull defeat.

After Tuesday night, MU send an email out to tell supporters if they don't buy an Olympiakos 2nd leg ticket, their ST will be frozen for the Manchester derby!!!

Nice.

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2014/2/26/5449940/manchester-united-olympiacos-tickets

From a PR perspective, it's poor, but it's actually just a reminder to S/T holders that they are required to purchase a ticket for the home CL game under terms implememented seven years ago.....

I don't see anything 'shocking' about those terms.

All they are doing is selling a season ticket for ALL home games not just Premier League Home games. If fans don't want to buy on those terms then nobody is forcing them.

No they aren't - because in that case you'd at least know that you'd paid for all games up front. This scheme means that attendees HAVE to pay a one-off fee for each additional game. Rather than including them in the season ticket (and making an assumption about the number of cup home games) they force people to pay extra for each and every game. I think it's despicable. For example, next year if they make the Europa League season ticket holders will have to pay out a substantial amount in addition to the up-front cost of their season ticket to see United play rubbishy teams from Latvia and beyond. I bet plenty of them are hoping that Man United miss out on Europe altogether rather than suffer that!

IndependentWSU

May 24, 2011
Surely if you purchase a season ticket you would want to attend Cup matches to view your team. I don't see the problem and believe others will soon follow.
Whats to say Man U wont overturn the 2-0 deficit and progress anyway, they have come back from worse situations. Might even go on to win the Champions League, then sack Moyes!!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Surely if you purchase a season ticket you would want to attend Cup matches to view your team. I don't see the problem and believe others will soon follow.
Whats to say Man U wont overturn the 2-0 deficit and progress anyway, they have come back from worse situations. Might even go on to win the Champions League, then sack Moyes!!

I don't think others will soon follow as there are not many clubs who are oversubscribed for their season ticket numbers. There are several reasons that people may be less inclined to go to cup matches for example if I were (shudder) a man u season ticket holder I doubt I'd be interested in seeing them play small clubs like Pompey (lol). There are many more evening cup kick offs if you consider European competitions in addition to our domestic games. Evening games are often harder to organise one's life around. Man United are nothing short of a disgrace.

How can they make an assumption about the number of home cup games though? One year they might play THREE (just the Champions League group games), and in another year they could play 14 (with home draws in every round of every competition).

So don't include them in the season ticket then. The problem with this approach is that it shifts the budget-balancing impetus from a massive football club to individuals, some of whom no doubt really do struggle to pay a succession of these one-off fees in Man United's more successful seasons.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
The point is that if as a season ticket you can't attend a cup game (for whatever reason) then absolutely the club should be able to sell your seat.

But to then impose a one game suspension for the following league fixture is immoral

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Add in the fact that pretty much EVER domestic Man U cup game is televised (and is therefore switched to lunchtimes / teatimes / Sundays / Mondays), and so a right pain in the arse to get to and from, especially from Devon.

Who'd be a Man U fan ? Blimey.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Add in the fact that pretty much EVER domestic Man U cup game is televised (and is therefore switched to lunchtimes / teatimes / Sundays / Mondays), and so a right pain in the arse to get to and from, especially from Devon.

Who'd be a Man U fan ? Blimey.
Lol!

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
No they aren't - because in that case you'd at least know that you'd paid for all games up front. This scheme means that attendees HAVE to pay a one-off fee for each additional game. Rather than including them in the season ticket (and making an assumption about the number of cup home games) they force people to pay extra for each and every game. I think it's despicable. For example, next year if they make the Europa League season ticket holders will have to pay out a substantial amount in addition to the up-front cost of their season ticket to see United play rubbishy teams from Latvia and beyond. I bet plenty of them are hoping that Man United miss out on Europe altogether rather than suffer that!

There is no force involved - If a fan decides not to pay the extra for the additional home games then their season ticket won't immediately be suspended - they will still be entitled to go to the home games they have paid for.

All the club is saying is that should the holder decide not to go to every game then the following season they will sell the seat next season to someone who will.

Buying a season ticket for this season doesn't automatically entitle you to buy one next season - even at the Amex as ordinary season ticket holders we don't have that as a right

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here