Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Start of a worrying trend? Or great publicity?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
This...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-26356722

1...I find greatly unsettling.

A pop-star has bought his way into a football team (albeit for 25 mins of a reserve game) and that is just plain wrong. I know there is a history of "buying a place in the squad" to get your name in a program, etc, but is this a step too far?

OR

2...4,000 tickets sold, plus god knows how much merchandise, for a reserve game boosting the coffers of a club under the yoke of FFP. A fantastic publicity stunt which can only sell extra tickets and boost interest in club with a regular attendance of 10k.

I am really not sure which I think is the correct answer... What would BHA do in the same circumstances?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Erm, wasn't the money raised going to the local children's hospice as reported on BBC news last night?

Wednesday's match against Rotherham United in aid of Bluebell Wood Children's Hospice was different, though, with the club saying more than 4,000 tickets had been sold.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Degrading to all the professional footballers who are trying to make a living, knowing that some pop star can make an appearance by buying his way on to the team.

Pre-season friendlies by all means, but not games that actually mean something to those taking part, what if he had done someone some damage by mis-timing a tackle?

What would we have done if Norman had decided he fancied a kick-about during the Withdean years??

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
The second one, let's face it he's never going to be anywhere near the first team so it's a win-win from the club's point of view with a lot extra interest and revenue for them.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Its for charity. And I believe he was actually in their youth team, so not just some randomer.

Mansfield actually played someone who donated £25k or something, for 15 minutes, before he went off injured. THAT is worrying

Great publicity for them.

When was the last time their ressies got a mention on National News and have the internet talk about them.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Money for charity ,a bigger than normal crowd ,a lot of people happy and the guy supports his local side instead of one of the big eads in the premier ...whats not to like or am I missing something .

IndependentWSU

May 24, 2011
I read he was offered a contract at Doncaster Rovers years ago. He had to choose between chasing Pop stardom or Football.
My daughter asked to go to the Amex when Donny visited recently as Louie might be in attendance.
Nothing wrong with Doncaster letting him play for reserves and if people want to pay to see him, so be it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I read he was offered a contract at Doncaster Rovers years ago. He had to choose between chasing Pop stardom or Football.
My daughter asked to go to the Amex when Donny visited recently as Louie might be in attendance.
Nothing wrong with Doncaster letting him play for reserves and if people want to pay to see him, so be it.

Agreed

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Didn't they approach him rather than him buying his way in? It's raised a load of money for charity and the amount of girls buying Donny shirts with his name on is great for the club... Win win.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
So to summarise, the kid is infact a talented footballer, Doncaster approached him to play for their reseve team, it drew a large crowd and made lots of money for charity. Louis Tomlinson you selfish bar steward.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
why is it a step too far from other fans buying a place in the squad?

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I think it should be a regular thing. Make league games much more interesting if they had to play a celeb for a certain period. ???

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Can the Rizzles play for our DS team?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here