Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sum up North Stand Chat...

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
Hi all,

I'm teaching a PE lesson this morning on the influence of media on sport and amongst other things will cover the internet and the growth of unofficial websites and chat rooms such as NSC.

Can you take a minute or two to summarise why you use this site, what you get from it and how different your Albion supporting would be without it?

I'll check back towards the end of the lesson at 11:30ish.

Cheers,
:thumbsup:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Left it a bit late, haven't you?

It means I am a lot better informed as an Albion Supporter, but you also have to be able to identify the rubbish to discount. It means you can have much more intelligent conversations with people about football, even if it is sometimes through a "Do you know there are even people who think that....." type of comment.

You soon get to realise whose opinions are worth noting and listening to, who you should take with a pinch of salt, who are the good guys (and girls).

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Humour
Immediacy (used to have to wait for Gull's Eye to get an alternative/irreverent view of your club)
News & Gossip (although there's hardly ever any news/gossip in the new Albion set up)
Able to contribute (sparingly in my case) to debate or just have a rant
Listen to the vocal minority

Albion supporting would be a bit more remote/individual without supporter interaction through NSC

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Bipolar

After a win, we're planning our Champions League trips in two years time
After a defeat (even, apparently, to decent Premier League teams), we're slashing our metaphorical wrists

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
Great having it when living in a different country. Not any albion supporters where I live, so its nice to keep in touch with whats going on.

Some people have been really good to me too in one way or another, and this warms my cockles. :)

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Bipolar

After a win, we're planning our Champions League trips in two years time
After a defeat (even, apparently, to decent Premier League teams), we're slashing our metaphorical wrists

see this made me laugh, its absolutely true and a very good reason to tune into NSC

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
This place is awful after a defeat. I can remember being on here after the 0-5 to Palace in 2002 and I swear it was nothing like as bad as nowadays when we lose a narrow 1-0 to one of the top sides.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Great having it when living in a different country. Not any albion supporters where I live, so its nice to keep in touch with whats going on.

Some people have been really good to me too in one way or another, and this warms my cockles. :)

Think Czechmate is in Brno

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I use it for different reasons:

- Opinions. Whilst this is a minority of the Albion support there are some that have reasoned and well thought out arguments and i've learned a lot from others. Obviously there are those that use the forum as a personal soapbox or to massage their fragile egos, but that's the same for any forum and they're usually ignored.

- Humour. The other day, i went through the NSC Gold board and was crying with laughter at some of the threads. Most of it is immature and puerile humour...but it's damn funny.

- Education. THere's such a broad spectrum of people - different ages, walks of life, experiences, careers etc that i'm pretty comfortable in asking almost any question and getting an answer based on previous experience.

- Community. I was thinking about this the other day; Whilst there are constant arguments and people don't always get on with each other, there's a sense of community and that if someone were in some sort of bind (whether that be health, financial, career etc) then people would rally around and support them however possible. It's nice to find that sort of camaraderie in an Internet that, with the advent of social networking has lost some community spirit.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
The huge variety of thread topics, it's a place to enjoy discussion on practically everything, not just the Albion. Since I've joined the first place I've heard of major news stories has more often than not been on here. While NSC represents a relatively small minority of Albion fans it's still a good place to gauge general opinion on things related to the club and also to discuss on field events. Also, where else has a UK Comedy World Cup?!

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
- Community. I was thinking about this the other day; Whilst there are constant arguments and people don't always get on with each other, there's a sense of community and that if someone were in some sort of bind (whether that be health, financial, career etc) then people would rally around and support them however possible. It's nice to find that sort of camaraderie in an Internet that, with the advent of social networking has lost some community spirit.

This :clap2:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
on top of all the above and the obvious it's a great place to get non football information and advice .. pretty well there's always someone who knows how to do something, where to get something from or they know someone that does. I've had laptop fixed, shed roof re-done, got the Mrs a bike, found a villa in Spain and more. Been a great reference source for me

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The best repository of Albion related information. And misinformation!

Bipolar

All of the above :)

But a question for the OP.

In my day PE = physical activity either in the gymn or outside in the fresh air.

When did it move to a classroom?

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
Thank you all very much, that was perfect and went down brilliantly - as I expected, some erudite and thoughtful responses, some drivel and a bit of piss-taking!

I was going to show them the Leon Knight thread but didn't...

By the way, on this course we deliver plenty of units practically (Coaching, Massage, Physiology, Fitness Testing, Rules and Regs etc.) but quite a few are theory-heavy (Psychology, Nutrition, Issues in Sport, Athletes Lifestyle for example).

Thanks again.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here