Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Going to Turkey on a tour next week advice needed

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Hi, We are off to Turkey next week stopping off at Antalya,Kusadasi,Pamukkale & Kemer.

We are on B&B so would appreciate some advice on cost of meals, how much to tip, (so we take enough currency and don't offend or get ripped off) Is it worth just upgrading to half board at the hotels?

Also any suggestions on good value things to buy I have read Leather is good value but is it?

Thanks in advance for any sensible suggestions. But then again it is NSC so there will undoubtedly be some clever replies :)

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
While you're in Kusadasi, try to make time for a tour of Ephesus.

And in Pamukkale, make sure you have a swim in the thermal baths. It's just like swimming in warm Alka Seltzer.

Buy one of these.

fortis-vest-black.jpg

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Well, that's about par for the course :) 33% sensible replies, the rest just for fun.

Thanks Daffy :)

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Eating out is relativly cheap. The Mrs and I went to Marmaris, eating in a resturant overlooking the harbour, three course meal with booze for £20 (this was the most we paid),

I would recomend you dont drink tap water as it has a high level of something in it which causes stomach upsets. Efes is the local lager and IMO bloody lovley.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
I've been married to a Turk for 17 years and head for Izmir the throbbing metropolis in that part of Turkey. Change money there as you'll get a much better rate, don't go half board just eat everywhere. (iskander kebab is a regional speciality, a million calories of meat, tomato, butter and yogurt and have kasandibi for pudding, also awesome fish). Probably the safest place in the world. Yes you must see Ephesus best Roman ruins after Pompeii and Herculanum. Hop around in the Dolmush, minibus taxis where you chip in the fare. It's a phonetic alphabet, check it out then you can easily read words out clearly and the locals will be extra helpful and always haggle- a little Turkish halves the price and being Turkish halves it again.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Don't bother with Kusadasi. From Antalya travel up to and stop off at Fethiye.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I've been married to a Turk for 17 years and head for Izmir the throbbing metropolis in that part of Turkey. Change money there as you'll get a much better rate, don't go half board just eat everywhere. (iskander kebab is a regional speciality, a million calories of meat, tomato, butter and yogurt and have kasandibi for pudding, also awesome fish). Probably the safest place in the world. Yes you must see Ephesus best Roman ruins after Pompeii and Herculanum. Hop around in the Dolmush, minibus taxis where you chip in the fare. It's a phonetic alphabet, check it out then you can easily read words out clearly and the locals will be extra helpful and always haggle- a little Turkish halves the price and being Turkish halves it again.

Not only married to a Turk. Live in Izmir too! :thumbsup: All good advice on here. If you have any specific questions pm me. Will be in Antalya on business myself March 7-9.

p..s. yes to leather but bargain bargain bargain!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've always tipped about 10-20%

It's currently over 3.5 lira to the £ so you'll be quids in but take Sterling or Euros to the market, you'll get a better deal there although, IMO, the markets are mostly full of fake tat for dopey tourists; last time I was there it was all those brightly coloured Dr Dre headphones (don't be tempted, they are shite).

Turks are probably the nicest people I've met, always friendly and helpful (sort of anti-Spanish)

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
No take your money to a Turkish bank. I have yet to see better rates all the time i've been going.

It's also safer. None of this sleight of hand shit either.

3.71 Is absolutely staggering. I've never got 3.00 let alone the current rate in all the time i've been going. You won't get better again i feel. Will it top 4? Never has before.

http://www.garanti.com.tr/en

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
No take your money to a Turkish bank. I have yet to see better rates all the time i've been going.

It's also safer. None of this sleight of hand shit either.

3.71 Is absolutely staggering. I've never got 3.00 let alone the current rate in all the time i've been going. You won't get better again i feel. Will it top 4? Never has before.

http://www.garanti.com.tr/en

The present exchnage rates are a result of the poltical crisis going on in Turkey. It doesnt make it any more dangerous for tourists so dont worry.... but its good news for exachnging money. Algie is right do it in Turkey.

BTW, as you may know you need a visa which you can get at the airport. However theyve just set up a new online service so that you can pay and get your visa online and wont have to queue for ages at the airport.

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
be wary of restaurants advertising prices in Euros, they are normally more expensive.

If you are heading toward Belek (near Antalya, let me know, and I can recommend a couple of good places to eat.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Go and watch Goztepe! In the last 15 years I've seen them promoted to the top flight twice, reaching 5th, then we're relegated 4 times into a cruddy amateur league and bounced back to the 2nd tier and down to the 3rd again. They're the best supported team outside the big 3' getting over 80,000 for a 2nd division derby in the 80s and still mustered 6,500 in the 5th tier!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The present exchnage rates are a result of the poltical crisis going on in Turkey. It doesnt make it any more dangerous for tourists so dont worry.... but its good news for exachnging money. Algie is right do it in Turkey.

BTW, as you may know you need a visa which you can get at the airport. However theyve just set up a new online service so that you can pay and get your visa online and wont have to queue for ages at the airport.

I believe you can't get paper visas anymore. The law has changed. It's has to be done online.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I believe you can't get paper visas anymore. The law has changed. It's has to be done online.

Has that changed recently? We went in Sept last year and still got a 'Turkish Tenner' paper one at the airport

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Thanks everyone for your help. Much better response than expected. We will be on an organised trip, so not sure if we will be able to do all the things suggested but have both agreed that if we like this trip we would return. NSC wins again :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here