Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can anyone give me good reason why we shouldn't sign this?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I can give you a reason....because it is no worse than the Sun,Mirror....and the least said about the Harriet Harman and her cronies,where is the outcry about that...BBC never mentioned it till today...give some Labour politicians their due...some are asking questions.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I read the Daily Mail online regularly and I must admit I haven't noticed this. However I signed it a week ago anyway because I despise the hate mongering comic, I genuinely believe it is possibly the most socially destructive media outlet in the world. It has absolutely no morals, so sexualisation of children wouldn't surprise me.

Why?

I don't get your standards?

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
It's important to me to have a balanced view of the news and current affairs, sadly the Daily Hate is one of the most read publications in the world, so I need to read it to understand its influence over its readership with its far-right propaganda.

So the vast readership need your approval to read? Am sure their readers are bright enough to have their own minds and not be "influenced" any more than Guardian, Mirror readers.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I can give you a reason....because it is no worse than the Sun,Mirror....and the least said about the Harriet Harman and her cronies,where is the outcry about that...BBC never mentioned it till today...give some Labour politicians their due...some are asking questions.

So that makes it ok for the Mail to regularly print sexually suggestive stories about minors and print photos of celebrities children without permission?

This isn't a he said she said left vs right thing. It needs to stop.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I read the Daily Mail online regularly and I must admit I haven't noticed this. However I signed it a week ago anyway because I despise the hate mongering comic,

how did you sign it a week ago? Owen Jones only started it on Feb 25th,which i believe is yesterday

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It's important to me to have a balanced view of the news and current affairs, sadly the Daily Hate is one of the most read publications in the world, so I need to read it to understand its influence over its readership with its far-right propaganda.

And yet you want it banned.

Sorry, going off topic here, but I don't think child sexualisation is the only reason the DM needs to be banned.

Do you even know what you want?You can only have a balanced view from reading different standpoints,it seems your balanced view is people should only read the publications that you like.

Not cool man.........not cool at all!

D

Deleted member 22389

For one I can't stand Owen Jones so I wouldn't satisfy his ego by signing that pathetic petition. Secondly I don't know why people are wasting their time because nothing will happen, and thirdly I really don't know how a 30 year old thinks he has the life and / or work experience to dictate to the rest of us what is going wrong with our country.

http://thebackbencher.co.uk/the-problem-with-owen-jones/

Last edited by a moderator:

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
https://www.change.org/en-GB/petiti...line-stop-the-daily-mail-sexualising-children

It's not just the Mail but they do appear to have the largest appetite for it. Forget the left wing/ ring wing BS for one thread and get this signed.

Yes, there is some shocking hypocrisy here, this issue was previously raised by the Telegraph in 2012 and the story has been circulating for a number of years (you should check out private eye)

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/d...he-nccl-and-paedophilia-my-article-from-2012/

If Shami Chakrabati has gone to the effort of issuing a statement last year to register her disgust at the link, then there was a evidently a link.

That link extends to a spokesman from the NCCL still defending PIE in 1983.

http://spotlightonabuse.wordpress.com/2014/02/20/pies-views-defended-02-09-83/

The Mail may be risible on a number of levels, but there is a legitimate story here, and not least at the moment when we have politicians lining up to offer their views on people like Jimmy Saville who was abusing kids at the time people in the NCCL were (as a matter of fact) at that time trying to water down child protection laws.

It is also a fact that some in the media (like the BBC) have been pretty reserved on this story, a position they didn't take with Lord Mcalpine...................purely coincidental I am sure.

D

Deleted member 22389

The media influences all of us, it's where we get most of our information about the world. It can't be compared to the Guardian, Telegraph etc who despite their political leanings do actually attempt to report the news.

My main problem is that the Daily Mail specifically targets certain groups, such the working class, foreigners (in particular Muslims and Eastern Europeans), the BBC & NHS, homosexuals etc. It will exaggerate or fabricate stories to meet its agenda, and its hate fuelled far-right propaganda does heavily influence people - have a look at its comment sections, you'd be shocked.

Sorry, going off topic here, but I don't think child sexualisation is the only reason the DM needs to be banned.

The same sorts of opinions can also be found in the Telepgraph when they write about immigration and the EU.
They might not be as straight to the point in the comments section, but all the people who post echo the same concerns. It's no longer just a Daily Mail thing anymore. There are problems in this country that need sorting.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
For one I can't stand Owen Jones so I wouldn't satisfy his ego by signing that pathetic petition. Secondly I don't know why people are wasting their time because nothing will happen, and thirdly I really don't know how a 30 year old thinks he has the life and / or work experience to dictate to the rest of us what is going wrong with our country.

http://thebackbencher.co.uk/the-problem-with-owen-jones/

'Cos the 30+'s are doing a really good job!

I don't agree with everything Owen Jones says but I think it's a wonderful thing that there is a young guy out there prepared to at least interact with the system. It's a brilliant example to young people who are disconnected from politics, more than at any point in living memory. Same goes for Paris Lees as well. We need more young people involved, not less.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yes, there is some shocking hypocrisy here, this issue was previously raised by the Telegraph in 2012 and the story has been circulating for a number of years (you should check out private eye)

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/d...he-nccl-and-paedophilia-my-article-from-2012/

If Shami Chakrabati has gone to the effort of issuing a statement last year to register her disgust at the link, then there was a evidently a link.

The Mail may be risible on a number of levels, but there is a legitimate story here, and not least at the moment when we have politicians lining up to offer their views on people like Jimmy Saville who was abusing kids at the time people in the NCCL were (as a matter of fact) at that time trying to water down child protection laws.

It is also a fact that some in the media (like the BBC) have been pretty reserved on this story, a position they didn't take with Lord Mcalpine...................purely coincidental I am sure.

I'm not trying to silence the story but the Mail needs to get its own house in order RE their own attitude towards the sexualisation of children before it can talk with any degree of authority on the subject. What with Paul Dacre's EU funding for his estate, the Rothermere's in tax exile, it's begining to look like a bigger glass house than the Shard.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012

It is worse than the Sun and the Mirror, not only in the content but in the hypocrisy of the double standards that they exercise over this area.

And this is not something that has only been highlighted over the last couple of days because of the P.I.E. thing. Private Eye frequently comments about the sexual nature of a lot of the content of Mail Online and how it conflicts with the stand of the newspaper (did I say newspaper???) elsewhere.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012

Everything that I have seen or heard over the last couple of days seems to indicate that the NCCL sleepwalked in to allowing P.I.E. to join, and that it was actively trying to get rid of them at the time that Harriet Harman joined the organisation.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
It is worse than the Sun and the Mirror, not only in the content but in the hypocrisy of the double standards that they exercise over this area.

And this is not something that has only been highlighted over the last couple of days because of the P.I.E. thing. Private Eye frequently comments about the sexual nature of a lot of the content of Mail Online and how it conflicts with the stand of the newspaper (did I say newspaper???) elsewhere.
Take that as you have written....It is worse than the Sun and Mirror.....Ans; IN YOUR OPINION! Being one of the biggest Daily sellers proves a lot of people don't agree with you.
Private Eye is a satirical magizine,so it's judgement on other parts of the press is hardly worthy of note.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Private Eye is a satirical magizine,so it's judgement on other parts of the press is hardly worthy of note.

You really are crazy. Think what you like of the printed press but Private Eye is one the greatest organs of investigative journalism anywhere in the world. Yes, it has a satyrical element (that is bloody funny too and lampoons left and right wing press alike) but it breaks stories years before you read them elsewhere.

I'm taking it you've never actually read a copy, have you?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here