Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Legal challenge to FFP in the offing? Guardian piece inc. Mr Barber

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
So now several clubs are opposed to the idea of being fined around £20M for buying promotion into the Premier League because they've decided to stick two fingers up to FFP ?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Surprise, surprise. A Championship club spending big to get to the Prem cries foul over FFP.

Will be interesting to see what, if any, legal judgement comes out of this.

The sooner the whole debate around FFP and whether it will be enforced is flushed into the open the better.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not surprised this is happening, should be simple if the clubs don't want to play by the agreed rules then boot them out of the league

This is pretty much it.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Still a huge advantage for those clubs relegated from the Prem.

I think the FL will have to re-appraise the figures for the 2014/15 season onwards as the 3 relegated side from the PL this season will now get a £23M parachute payment for their first season back in The Championship.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Mental. "Please can our slightly dubious owners keep funding unsustainable losses because that's what the big clubs and the media expect."

:censored:ankers

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I can understand the player recruitment embargo sanction being effective, as any financial penalty would just be factored into any overspend used to gain promotion to the PL by wealthy owners

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm concerned by the size of those parachute payments: For the Albion to get promoted each season we have to finish above 3 teams getting £23 million, 2 getting £18 million and 4 or 5 on £9 million. That's one hell of an obstacle.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I'm concerned by the size of those parachute payments: For the Albion to get promoted each season we have to finish above 3 teams getting £23 million, 2 getting £18 million and 4 or 5 on £9 million. That's one hell of an obstacle.

Exactly.

By rights it will be the same clubs yo yo ing between the two divisions

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Last year, we finished above about 7 of them, as well as Leicester who spent a fortune.

Parachute payments guarantee nothing, especially with the millstone of a squad full of Championship quality players on Premier League contracts.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Last year, we finished above about 7 of them, as well as Leicester who spent a fortune.

Parachute payments guarantee nothing, especially with the millstone of a squad full of Championship quality players on Premier League contracts.

But the point is parachute payments are going up by £11 million over 4 years while allowable losses under FFP have to decrease on a sliding scale. In a couple of years our permitted losses will be £5 million not £8 million while first year parachute for the relegated will be £23 million not £16 million. That's a swing of £10 million between competitors.

The days of clubs doing a Swansea will soon be over.

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't all the clubs sign up to the rules at the beginning of the season and therefore shouldn't be able to mount a legal challenge.

They all sign up to two teams being automatically being promoted and one team by the playoffs. Based on a club challenging the FFP rules, what stops a club mounting a challenge for not being promoted when they finished third?

If you don't like the rules, tough, don't sign up and agree to the conditions etc set at the beginning of the season the moan later, challenge them first !!!

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't all the clubs sign up to the rules at the beginning of the season and therefore shouldn't be able to mount a legal challenge.

They all sign up to two teams being automatically being promoted and one team by the playoffs. Based on a club challenging the FFP rules, what stops a club mounting a challenge for not being promoted when they finished third?

If you don't like the rules, tough, don't sign up and agree to the conditions etc set at the beginning of the season the moan later, challenge them first !!!

Exactly. It wasn't imposed on the clubs, the clubs voted for it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Unfortunately the League need to tread carefully. The Premiership are not cosy bedfellows and as has been muted before a breakaway second division of the Premiership could become a distinct possibility. This undoubtedly will benefit the top clubs within the Championship probably including us but will lead to the end of the football league as we know it.

It has been spoken about before and all the time we were at Withdean I was worried but even now I wouldn't be happy.

I totally agree with the league and their stance, I do however believe that with a legal challenge it could cause no end of problems.

A second division of the Premiership with say, 20 clubs, would be fully funded and the parachute payments would become unnecessary,a vision held by many.

It's all greed I'm afraid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here