Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Butcher's coats

Julio

Feb 18, 2009
One of my favourite exhibits in the Albion museum is the magnificent butcher's coat which is housed in the bedroom. Back in the early 90's I did some academic work on football culture and found a piece on Southend fans (circa 71-72) who were fond of the garments and you still see a few of the more glamourous versions at grounds like Anfield. But I never came across the explanation for how they made there way onto the terraces. You've got a pair of Levi red tag, a crisp Ben Sherman, the shiniest DMs you ever did see and either a proper Crombie with serious lapels, or a Harrington. Smart as you like. Then one of the lads says, "Tell you what, I've had a great idea. Let's all get a Butcher's coat, stick some badges on it and draw badly all over it."

Maybe the owner of the coat in the museum is on here and can shed some light, or someone who had one in the late 60's/early 70's can reveal the driving force behind one of footballs strangest fashion items.

Attachments

• butchers coat.jpg
    butchers coat.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 947

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Really looking forward to going round the museum, and seeing this. I never wore a butchers coat but remember well my 'dolphins' silk scarf that I used to wear round my wrist.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I want to go but as far as the normal supporters are concerned it is a no go, waste having it if nobody but the 'in crowd' are allowed to see it

True.

Why are the Stadium Tours not available on a Sunday, which would probably be the busiest day of the week for them?

Julio

Feb 18, 2009
Really looking forward to going round the museum, and seeing this. I never wore a butchers coat but remember well my 'dolphins' silk scarf that I used to wear round my wrist.

Think Butcher's coats were pretty much gone by late 70's but certainly remember wearing a scarf on each wrist up to about '79. We got in the museum as part of the tour - it's compact but every inch is a treat

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
they were lab coats weren't they? as in laboratory coats that were worn in Chemistry lessons

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
The museum is open to people when they take the tour. I would have gone in on Saturday but our guide didn't have the key card :(

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Has the museum opened to the plebs yet ?

I want to go but as far as the normal supporters are concerned it is a no go, waste having it if nobody but the 'in crowd' are allowed to see it

Paul Barber mentioned the museum during his "webchat" with the Argus the other day - Paul Barber answers every question Ernest has ever had (apart from where the Cup Final money went)

This is the little snippet from the Argus text stream that went with the broadcast:-

Museum will open very soon. Very close. Had to adjust lighting to protect exhibits.

I believe they have also been establishing a roster of volunteers so that the museum is always manned (or "personned", for the politically correct).

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Bad planning by somebody to have the museum where it is. I'm sure they could have found room for it near the West Stand reception or in one of the suites

Julio

Feb 18, 2009
they were lab coats weren't they? as in laboratory coats that were worn in Chemistry lessons

Kids might have nicked lab coats to appropriate the look - but the genuine articles were butcher's coats, complete with bits of dried mince and pig blood on the sleeves. A bit like getting a fake burberry cap from the market, looks similar from a distance but clearly not the real McCoy - and once you go down this road you de-value the brand and kill it for the fashionista.

Julio

Feb 18, 2009
Bad planning by somebody to have the museum where it is. I'm sure they could have found room for it near the West Stand reception or in one of the suites

Think it will be an issue on match days as you have to go through Dicks which rules out anyone with kids - also means you might have pi**ed up blokes stumbling around valuable artefacts - never a good mix. Shame as it is a superb space and full of gems which really capture the true essence of BHA.View attachment 51587

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here