Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Council issue £10,000 in parking fines to football fans since new scheme introduced

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Argus:

Football fans have been fined nearly £10,000 since a new parking scheme was introduced at the start of the season.

On match days, 386 tickets have been handed out in the streets around the American Express Community Stadium, costing Albion fans and their counterparts £9,675.

At the start of the season, the club and Brighton and Hove City Council introduced the resident permit system to 49 roads in Moulsecoomb and Coldean to stop fans parking in residential streets and walking to the Amex.

The highest number of tickets issued by Brighton and Hove city Council on a single day was 53 on August 24 for the visit of Burnley, while the highest amount of fines recouped was £1,310 from the game with Derby a fortnight earlier.

The number of tickets issued has dropped significantly since the start of the season, with just 21 for last month’s game against Birmingham City.

Revenue from penalty charge notices goes towards the ongoing costs of the scheme, maintenance of signs and lines and the labour costs of changing the variable signs.

The fines also go towards enforcement costs and ongoing permit administration charges, which is also being partly funded by the club.

Carol Lynn, from Coldean Residents’ Association, said: “It was horrendous here, we just couldn’t park in our own streets and it was an absolute nightmare.

"Now it’s nice and quiet here and in Moulsecoomb when Albion are playing. The wardens are certainly getting them.”

Deputy council leader Ian Davey said: “It’s great to hear that residents living near the stadium are happy with the scheme, which has made their lives easier on match and event days.”

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
My initial thought was "Those parking tickets seem a bit steep" but it's actually only £25 on average it would seem. That's not too bad of a fine.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Probably no way of knowing? - Of those figures, it would be interesting to know for the number crunchers, how many ticketed cars were at the football and how many were collateral damage from the scheme, residents and visitors etc.

I also wonder how happy many residents will be when they have to foot the full cost of the scheme and the club stop subsidising it?

"Maintenance of signs"? How much maintenance does a no parking sign require?

Probably no way of knowing? - Of those figures, it would be interesting to know for the number crunchers, how many ticketed cars were at the football and how many were collateral damage from the scheme, residents and visitors etc.

I also wonder how happy many residents will be when they have to foot the full cost of the scheme and the club stop subsidising it?

"Maintenance of signs"? How much maintenance does a no parking sign require?

The club don't have a choice, it's part of the Stadium planning consent.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
The club don't have a choice, it's part of the Stadium planning consent.

As I understood it? The club are only subsidising the scheme for an agreed period of time - Two years, three years or whatever it was? After that, I thought it was down to the residents to fund it?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
My initial thought was "Those parking tickets seem a bit steep" but it's actually only £25 on average it would seem. That's not too bad of a fine.

Not bad at all. How does that compare to the cost at Bennetts Field? By the sounds of it, the roads are all nice and quiet around there now, so you'd get away pretty sharpish, and don't have to book a space for the whole season, just pick and choose the games you need to turn up late and leave early.

Bargain.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Carol Lynn, from Coldean Residents’ Association, said: “It was horrendous here, we just couldn’t park in our own streets and it was an absolute nightmare.

It was never that bad anyway, why can't people just live and let live. I'd love to have the stadium on my doorstep.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
They happy now as its free. wait until such time when the residents will have to pay for the ongoing scheme.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

"Maintenance of signs"? How much maintenance does a no parking sign require?[/QUOTE]

The parking ban is only on days that there are events at The Amex.

The dates that the bans are for need to be changed for each event on those parking signs.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
It was never that bad anyway, why can't people just live and let live. I'd love to have the stadium on my doorstep.

It was in season 1.....we used it regularly, but parked up in Hawkhurst, sensibly...... but the issues in Forest Road, Rushlake Road lower down and Park Road were ridiculous...... Parking on grass verges, on pavements, on tight corners, blocking buses and driveways.......... as always it was the lazy few who cocked it up for everyone..... Just to avoid another 200 or so meters walk.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It was in season 1.....we used it regularly, but parked up in Hawkhurst, sensibly...... but the issues in Forest Road, Rushlake Road lower down and Park Road were ridiculous...... Parking on grass verges, on pavements, on tight corners, blocking buses and driveways.......... as always it was the lazy few who cocked it up for everyone..... Just to avoid another 200 or so meters walk.

These same people that are "cashpoint cripples" no doubt - seemingly incapable of parking anywhere other than immediately adjacent to an ATM, regardless of what they're blocking. Wind me right up, they do.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean

I walk back via Lucerne Road and around that area parking was beyond a joke. I saw cars blocking driveways, parked on double yellow lines blocking the bus turn from Bolney road. I was also witness to an accident (IIRC after the Hill game on a Saturday evening) This was caused by a car parked on a junction blocking the view for car pulling out. The Police officer who attended said this was a likely factor in the accident.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
They happy now as its free. wait until such time when the residents will have to pay for the ongoing scheme.

As Alex, Alex Dawson has pointed out, there are no plans to make residents pay for it. It certainly wasn't mentioned in the material that was sent to us

The dates that the bans are for need to be changed for each event on those parking signs.

There are no dates printed on any of the signs - they don't need to be changed. But one of the ones near us has already been replaced once as a car knocked it over, I'm sure others have already been damaged.
I walk back via Lucerne Road and around that area parking was beyond a joke.

You think that parking around Fiveways is caused by football traffic? I really doubt that many fans park there

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Council issue £10,000 in parking fines to football fans since new scheme intr...

Because for some people, ANY disruption to their life, whether it be once a day, once a week, once a month or once a year, DESTROYS their sense of well being and puts them into a state of UTTER panic and distress.

Obviously not being able to park once every two weeks creates CHAOS in these people's lives.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There are no dates printed on any of the signs - they don't need to be changed. But one of the ones near us has already been replaced once as a car knocked it over, I'm sure others have already been damaged

Actually, some of them do have dates on. For example the one at the bottom of hillside at the junction with the avenue has dates on. It lists the next two dates the scheme is in place. That is the start of the parking restriction zone, the signs in my street don't have dates on, so it appears to just be signs on the main entries to the restricted area that have dates.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I walk back via Lucerne Road and around that area parking was beyond a joke. I saw cars blocking driveways, parked on double yellow lines blocking the bus turn from Bolney road. I was also witness to an accident (IIRC after the Hill game on a Saturday evening) This was caused by a car parked on a junction blocking the view for car pulling out. The Police officer who attended said this was a likely factor in the accident.
I live by Lucerne Road, I assume you mean Lucraft Road?

Never understood why people parked there when there was plenty of space in Ashurst Road and Moulsecoomb Way which didn't involve going down a dead-end full of pedestrians and turning round. Some people are just too lazy. But apart from Lucraft Road, don't think there were any problems in Moulsecoomb.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here