Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex car park changes - this will upset the early leavers parked in Bennett's Field

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was being lazy, here is the full email

In recent months, the club has received a lot of feedback regarding parking at and around the stadium. Last Monday’s extreme weather conditions led to longer than usual delays at Sussex University. These delays were largely caused by issues outside of the club’s control but they did highlight a number of ongoing issues with the use and management of our car parks which we have decided to address immediately.
Moving up to 30,000 people in and out of any football stadium in the country is a significant challenge. It’s no different at the Amex and it’s even more challenging for evening matches when people tend to arrive at the stadium later, leave immediately after the final whistle, and use their cars more with many people coming to the Amex directly from work.
At the Amex, we are however fortunate: the vast majority of our supporters take advantage of the excellent train links to the stadium; many others use our park and ride services or travel to and from the stadium using the various Seagull Travel and supporter club coach services; and some supporters enjoy cycling to and from the stadium. In line with the conditions of our planning consent and to encourage sustainable transport methods, we will continue to prioritise these forms of travel.
We have also been monitoring car park movements throughout this season, particularly after the match. The club, along with the local authority's Safety Advisory Group, has become increasingly concerned at the increasing levels of frustration being expressed as motorists try to leave the Bennett’s Field car park and the potential for a serious pedestrian accident as cars weave in and out of buses leaving and arriving at the stadium, as well as pedestrians heading back to the university car parks.
We have recently witnessed several altercations between motorists, as well as our stewards being abused by supporters which on an occasion has even led to a physical assault. Most recently, there have been several near misses to pedestrians as vehicles have attempted or performed illegal manoeuvres to save just a few yards and a few minutes in a traffic queue. Thankfully, to date at least, nobody has been hurt.
Regardless, the risk of injury is increasing and the current position is not acceptable to many supporters or to the club. We have therefore decided to make some important and urgent changes to put safety first, prioritise the use of sustainable transport, speed up and tighten access to our car parks, re-organise car parking management arrangements in the car parks themselves, improve traffic flows away from the stadium after the match, and penalise illegal or inconsiderate parking,
So, with effect from our next home match, against Reading on Saturday 8th 9th March 2014, we will be implementing the following changes and measures to existing parking arrangements:
- departure from the Amex of the club’s park and ride buses and supporter coaches will be prioritised immediately after the final whistle;
- as such, and in line with the majority of stadium car parks around the country, the club’s own Bennett’s Field and VIP car parks will be closed from the 70th minute of the match (for both weekday and weekend fixtures) until a minimum of 45 minutes after the final whistle (the club’s Safety Officer will authorise the opening of these car parks as soon after this point as he considers it safe to do so). We expect that, with the majority of buses and coaches clear by this time, traffic flows away from Bennett’s Field and VIP car parks will be considerably easier and faster.
- access to the Sussex University car parks will change to enable those arriving earliest at the stadium to access the closest car parks (and therefore gain a faster exit from the stadium after the match). Stewards will show people to the nearest available space in the nearest available car park. (NB our car park for disabled supporters at Sussex University – car park number 5 – will be unaffected by these changes).
- neither Sussex University nor The Bridge car parks will be subject to any hold back period after the match.
- valid parking permits must be prominently displayed in all cars as the entrance to the car park is approached - and they must remain prominently displayed in the vehicle at all times while it is parked in the club’s various car parks.
- failure to prominently display a valid parking permit prior to car park entry will result in the car being turned away. To minimise delays entering our car parks, there will be no exceptions to this rule.
- supporters that have pre-booked parking should contact the club 24 hours BEFORE any given match if their permit hasn’t arrived. To speed up access to car parks, stewards will no longer hold lists of supporters who have booked parking spaces late. It is the responsibility of the supporter to hold and display a valid parking permit.
- subject to final agreement with Sussex University, vehicles parked illegally or inappropriately (i.e. where a vehicle is parked outside of a marked bay or where it is parked across 2 bays), or where a valid pass is not prominently displayed will receive a fixed penalty notice.
- vehicles parked illegally outside of designated car parks will be clamped or towed away.
- vehicles attempting to stop, drop off, or pick up supporters on Village Way will be moved on immediately and/or reported to the Police for causing an obstruction. There is a small but growing number of fans who choose to put themselves at their fellow Albion fans in danger by trying to be picked up by car from Village Way and the surrounding roads, in particular the A27. The club, Sussex Police, East Sussex County Council, Brighton and Hove City Council and the Highways Agency do not wish to see this trend continue. Fans walking along dark roads that do not have footways and cars U-turning on Village Way have led to a number of near misses between cars and fans. It is only a matter of time that the actions of these inconsiderate few cause a collision or worse.
If fans continue to use the surrounding road network to be picked up there is a strong possibility that the two local Councils and Sussex Police will strengthen the existing parking controls and issue parking tickets or possible close Village Way to all but approved traffic, before, after and for the duration of the match. If you have no other choice but to be picked up after a game you must not attempt to do so until at least one hour after the end of the game. This will allow the huge volume of cars, coaches, and buses to leave the stadium and make it as safe as possible for you to be picked up.
- any verbal abuse and/or physical assault of the club’s stewards or staff or fellow supporters will result in car parking permits being immediately withdrawn (without refund) and supporters may also be subject to a ban from attending matches at the Amex.
- finally, during the summer of 2014, to further ease the current issues and improve safety, the club will also be looking to add a series of traffic calming measures to Bennett’s Field car park to stop queue jumping and improve the flow of traffic in and out of this facility.
1901 Club members who currently have confirmed spaces for Bennett’s Field but who wish to park at the Sussex University car park for increased flexibility of departure times after the match may request a permanent change to their permit. If you would like to do this, please contact the 1901 Club at 1901club@bhafc.co.uk providing confirmation in writing and all of your membership details.
Please note, such changes or requests cannot be made match by match. All changes are subject to availability in the Sussex University car park and will be managed on a first come, first served basis. If move requests are successful, seasonal permits for Bennetts Field will need to be returned to the 1901 Club with a covering note prior to us issuing a Sussex University pass.
In summary, in managing large public events, there is only so much that the club can do to control travel-related issues, particularly in extreme weather. The measures we are adopting are designed to make arriving at and leaving our stadium safer and, ultimately, smoother for the majority of supporters. However, please note that the movement of 20,000 to 30,000 people within a short amount of time will always result in some delays.
The vast majority of supporters entering and leaving the Amex car parks do so with respect for fellow supporters, our staff, and for the excellent facilities we provide but please help our staff to ensure everyone enjoys the safest and smoothest travel experience by being considerate, patient, and complying at all times with both our stewards’ requests and the law. Thank you very much for your co-operation.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I would imagine it upset them when it was first announced over a week ago too.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I would imagine it upset them when it was first announced over a week ago too.

:facepalm:

I've been away for a while, avoiding NSC, please feel free to delete

D

Deleted member 22389

Thing is why pay all that money only to leave early unless it's an emergency.
Not as though they have to sit in the freezing concourses. They can sit in the warm on a nice comfy seat.

It's the only way to stop the congestion.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
:facepalm:

I've been away for while, please feel free to delete

To be fair it's a new email, but pretty much says what was said in the programme last week. The only add on bit that I may have missed is they are putting in traffic calming measures in Bennets Field across the summer.

I think I'll be moving to the Uni car park.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Thing is why pay all that money only to leave early.
Not as though they have sit in the freezing concourses. They can sit in the warm on a nice comfy seat.

It's the only way to stop the congestion.

I don't think leaving 45 minutes after kick off is leaving early!

D

Deleted member 22389

I'm saying that its not that tough to have to hang on for 45 mins after the match.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Hurrah!

They now just need to make the left hand lane on the offslip up to Amex from eastbound A27, buses only right turn, and job's a good un!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

I park at Uni and it's generally fine but if large numbers move across from BF then maybe the problem shifts? The exits need to be controlled with a bit more authority, I go out of the top and it can be difficult getting into the traffic that's coming onto the roundabout from the A27 slip. More numbers aren't going to help that.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
To be fair it's a new email, but pretty much says what was said in the programme last week. The only add on bit that I may have missed is they are putting in traffic calming measures in Bennets Field across the summer.

So why the need for the Smart Alec initial response to OP? I, and probably lots of others, weren't aware either.

D

Deleted member 22389

I have said it before, why can't they load up P&R buses for Mithras house and Mill Road along the A27. The Bus stop their is big enough for 3 or 4 buses easily. It worked well at The Withdean.

Another thing they could do is provide a new path for walkers and cyclists out of the stadium. A path the runs down the End of the Bennetts Field and take people out on to the pavement just before the flyover. Means people don't have to walk all the way around.

All these things would ease congestion. Your never going to get a perfect escape, but all these things help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
News to me, although I don't use the carparks anyway.

So your car is, in effect, under lock and key in BF from around 4.30 till about 5.45 every Saturday, and 9.15 till 10.30-ish midweek.

I guess it'll boost the post-match sales on the concourses / 1901-ers, being as they're all being held captive for 45 minutes after the game.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Will never work in principle. If someone wants to leave, get in their car and drive home at any time, for what ever reason (family emergency, other arrangements etc) they should and will be able to.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
News to me, although I don't use the carparks anyway.

So your car is, in effect, under lock and key in BF from around 4.30 till about 5.45 every Saturday, and 9.15 till 10.30-ish midweek.

I guess it'll boost the post-match sales on the concourses / 1901-ers, being as they're all being held captive for 45 minutes after the game.

Instead of locking the cars in simply lock in the people in their 1901 lounges. Problem solved.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Will never work in principle. If someone wants to leave, get in their car and drive home at any time, for what ever reason (family emergency, other arrangements etc) they should and will be able to.

You'd think so, but football tends to operate in another World. Being kettled outside Selhurst Park springs to mind. Being frog-marched to the station contravenes numerous civil liberties, but it doesn't stop them.

Forget "emergencies" I was looking at getting a parking space this season, just so that I could duck out early and get home (North Kent) over an hour earlier if we had plans on the Saturday night. That seems preferable to the grief I get for dashing in at the last minute, before we dash back out again, or in fact games I've had to miss completely because I would be back too late otherwise. If I'd paid to give myself that option, and was now faced with leaving on 65 mins to get back to my car and out before they lock the gates .... or sit there until past 5.30 then I'd feel my money had been somewhat wasted.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

its on website too

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
You'd think so, but football tends to operate in another World. Being kettled outside Selhurst Park springs to mind. Being frog-marched to the station contravenes numerous civil liberties, but it doesn't stop them.

Forget "emergencies" I was looking at getting a parking space this season, just so that I could duck out early and get home (North Kent) over an hour earlier if we had plans on the Saturday night. That seems preferable to the grief I get for dashing in at the last minute, before we dash back out again, or in fact games I've had to miss completely because I would be back too late otherwise. If I'd paid to give myself that option, and was now faced with leaving on 65 mins to get back to my car and out before they lock the gates .... or sit there until past 5.30 then I'd feel my money had been somewhat wasted.

Can't feel but think this will hit 1901 renewals. Expecting people to just hang about for at least 45 minutes after doesn't really work. Not like they can have a few beers as they'd be driving. Totally unworkable

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Can't feel but think this will hit 1901 renewals. Expecting people to just hang about for at least 45 minutes after doesn't really work. Not like they can have a few beers as they'd be driving. Totally unworkable

1901 can move their parking to University if they want. Not a difficult walk for most I would imagine, excluding those who have difficulty walking due to age/injury.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here