Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Auschwitz

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Ok so it's my 30th birthday coming up and the missus was obviously listening when I told her of my yearning to visit Auschwitz.

Now I know what your thinking, why the hell would you want to go there for your birthday? A very valid point it would be too. However for some time now I have longed to visit the place, maybe try and understand mans inhumanity to humanity.

Would be interested to hear from those that have visited themselves, perhaps even an anecdote or two?

I don't get taken away too often so I want to get it right. The other option is a long weekend in Vegas (I know, they couldn't be further apart).

Any pointers, advice and general info would be greatly received.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
On your 30th?? There's a time and a place...

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Haven't been there yet, but know I must do one day.
My conscience tells me I should, and to show respect to the millions mass murdered such a short time ago.

Went to Anne Franks house in Amsterdam some time ago, which was similarly compelling.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
In Czech Republic, there is Terezin...or Theresienstadt
This is an old fortified town that was the transit camp for thousands of children on their way to Auschwitz...amongst others.
The Germans made their film there to show how 'well' the jews were being treated there...
*******s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terezín

Its also where Gavrilo Princip who sparked WW1 was imprisoned and died

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
It's always seemed somehow wrong to say that I'd like to visit Auschwitz, but it's definitely somewhere I feel I should go one day.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Man's inhumanity to humanity. Auschwitz ought to allow the space for poignancy. There are other ways to do it, for instance, read Zygmaunt Bauman on the Holocaust:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Modernity-Holocaust-Zygmunt-Bauman/dp/0745609309

If I was 30 again, I'd rather go to Berlin or Barcelona. If you're obsessed with football, there's the opportunity to go to a couple of great stadia. There are also no end of other things to do in these glorious cities, too.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I don't think I could go, the horror of thinking about what happened is bad enough without seeing it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's always seemed somehow wrong to say that I'd like to visit Auschwitz, but it's definitely somewhere I feel I should go one day.

You should and you won't ENJOY it, but you'll be glad you went.

Auschwitz made me angry and heartbroken in equal measures, but it's Birkenau up the road that really hits hard. The sheer SCALE of it is horrific.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Vegas for you 30th, Auschwitz for you 50th. There are plenty of documentaries and books in the meantime.

I went to Auschwitz on (the day after) my 50th. It was part of a family break to Krakow. Lovely city to visit. If you go there, you should go to Auschwitz.

Porkydale

Jun 6, 2011
Went there last year ,not a place to miss but as said above maybe not for a birthday celebration because its pretty thought provoking and to be honest unbelievably distressing .When you do go stay in Krakow which is a lovely place with a fantastic square with plenty of bars and places to eat.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Went a few years back.
Without doubt the most memorable place I've ever been to on so many different levels.
A must visit for anyone and everyone

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You should and you won't ENJOY it, but you'll be glad you went.

Auschwitz made me angry and heartbroken in equal measures, but it's Birkenau up the road that really hits hard. The sheer SCALE of it is horrific.

That is the problem, you can accept that a few sick people exist on any side during a war but there was a whole infrastructure of thousands who ran those camps seemingly without any guilt for their activities.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
In Czech Republic, there is Terezin...or Theresienstadt
This is an old fortified town that was the transit camp for thousands of children on their way to Auschwitz...amongst others.
The Germans made their film there to show how 'well' the jews were being treated there...
*******s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terezín

Its also where Gavrilo Princip who sparked WW1 was imprisoned and died

Did the trip from Prague with a survivor after the graveyard in the City. Sobering experience.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I've been. Horrific. Go if you feel you must and I hope - and don't take this the wrong way - that you're sickened by it. Because if you're not, you're defective in some way.

There was a party of German teenagers there when I visited, being bored and gossiping like any group of students being taken around a museum. I wanted to jam their stupid faces against the glass cases full of human hair and ransacked luggage and the evidence of experiments on humans and force them to look and take in what their grandparents' generation had done.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Treblinka was a weird one, it's where the Nazis burned and buried 250,000 Jews at least. Today it's a dead end railway and monolithic stones to mark the camp. There must be millions of bits of bone and teeth under your feet as you walk around it. Very unsettling place.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here