Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roy Keane, says it like it is.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Have to agree with the angry one.

"There is a lack of confidence and there are some players who just don't have the quality. We've been brainwashed that the Premier League is the best in the world - nonsense".

I wonder if Mr Scudamore is on the blower to his PR department discussing how they can justify the PL's boast as the best in the world?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
United could really do with a Roy Keane in the team right now

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
A well made point by RK that it may be the best Brand but not the best League. Perhaps reference to the ridiculous amounts of money ring-fenced at that level ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
confusing a team in 7th (on goal difference) failing to beat a team away in Europe, as commentry on our League? been brainwashed that Manchester United should sweep all before it, methinks.

im not a fan of the hyperbole over the Premiership, but the statement "best league in the world" doesnt even say its the best teams. i wonder if he's cast his eye over the top of the Greek League, 20 pt and 40 (forty) goal lead. Same story for Bayern in Germany, similar runaway in Italy and france. Only Spain an us where theres a contest with a 3/4 way fight. this is one large component they talk about in the quality of the leauge, the state of the competition.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just before tonight's game there was a programme on Sky about the Manchester United team of the late 1990s

A midfield of Beckham, Keane, Scholes and Giggs

What they wouldn't give for that right now.

The trio of Rooney, Mata and RvP should be sweeping all before them. Rooney's on the top wad but I'd expect Mata to be earning a fair bit too, I would think that RvP would want a pay rise soon. They could be the most expensive flops in history, must be close to 750 K a week for those 3 :facepalm:

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
confusing a team in 7th (on goal difference) failing to beat a team away in Europe, as commentry on our League? been brainwashed that Manchester United should sweep all before it, methinks.

im not a fan of the hyperbole over the Premiership, but the statement "best league in the world" doesnt even say its the best teams. i wonder if he's cast his eye over the top of the Greek League, 20 pt and 40 (forty) goal lead. Same story for Bayern in Germany, similar runaway in Italy and france. Only Spain an us where theres a contest with a 3/4 way fight. this is one large component they talk about in the quality of the leauge, the state of the competition.

And it's the first time there's been a 3/4 way fight in the Prem since its incarnation. You can't pin one season up as a representation of it's competitiveness.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
The trio of Rooney, Mata and RvP should be sweeping all before them. Rooney's on the top wad but I'd expect Mata to be earning a fair bit too, I would think that RvP would want a pay rise soon. They could be the most expensive flops in history, must be close to 750 K a week for those 3 :facepalm:

It points more and more towards Moyes and his (in)ability to get the best out of the players. Will he be given the time that Ferguson was at the start of his reign? Difficult to see, with so much at stake in the modern game.

At his peak, Ferguson was able to bring in players like David May, Ronnie Jonsen and Jesper Blomquist (sp) and get the brilliant players he had to get the best out of these mediocre ones. Again, I can't see Moyes having the strength of will to do that.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013

The EPL and Sky are very good at changing the definition of best to suit their product at the time. Best when English teams dominated in Europe was a comment on the league being the strongest, now they've decided best league in the world is judged by how competitive it is.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It points more and more towards Moyes and his (in)ability to get the best out of the players. Will he be given the time that Ferguson was at the start of his reign? Difficult to see, with so much at stake in the modern game.

At his peak, Ferguson was able to bring in players like David May, Ronnie Jonsen and Jesper Blomquist (sp) and get the brilliant players he had to get the best out of these mediocre ones. Again, I can't see Moyes having the strength of will to do that.

He's not getting much out of his talented ones either, that 300K a week could soon weigh heavily on Rooney. It's cruel and heartless but, I might just disappear to Red Cafe for a bit, forget Shale Gas as a potential cheap fuel source and check out " Mob,Angry ".................:laugh:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And it's the first time there's been a 3/4 way fight in the Prem since its incarnation. You can't pin one season up as a representation of it's competitiveness.

fair point, but its rarely the case the leader is 20 points clear a little over half way through.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Absolutely. Or a Jimmy Case. It's definitely what they are missing. A leader. It's embarassing watching them right now.
No its not, its funny.
Couldn't happen to nicer club or fans (except maybe Chelsea)
But it is the strongest example yet of how quickly a good or even great team can fall apart in a short space of time.
This could be the start of a period of decline for Man U, if they do not qualify for CL next year the top players will not come to them and they could miss out on up to £60 million with the added BT money on top of Sky.
Further proof that Ferguson walked because he saw this coming yet the media have never said this. That man really is untouchable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here