Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Television and cookery programmes.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Never into that sort of TV i don't mind Jimmy's farm but thats not the same. No fan of Grossman,Oliver,Ramsey and most of the other's. However Two fat ladies such a shame Jennifer Paterson died the banter was classic. :clap2:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Never into that sort of TV i don't mind Jimmy's farm but thats not the same. No fan of Grossman,Oliver,Ramsey and most of the other's. However Two fat ladies such a shame Jennifer Paterson died the banter was classic. :clap2:

That was a dreadful series. They hated each other and it showed. One batty old bird and one alcoholic. Poor, poor TV

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The Two Fat ladies got that way by having no portion control. Frequently a recipe would need something like a side of beef or 4 Pheasants or half a Sheep. No ordinary mortal could even afford the ingredients, if it wasn't for the fact that half their food was roadkill, neither could they.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
The Two Fat ladies got that way by having no portion control. Frequently a recipe would need something like a side of beef or 4 Pheasants or half a Sheep. No ordinary mortal could even afford the ingredients, if it wasn't for the fact that half their food was roadkill, neither could they.

Are you saying you don't stop to pick-up a decent clean kill on the raod and use it in a meal ??

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Are you saying you don't stop to pick-up a decent clean kill on the raod and use it in a meal ??

no, as where I live, it would either be a Cat, Dog or an OAP

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Can't stand Jamie Oliver's Mockney banter, although oddly I do like his cooking.

Don't mind the Hairy Bikers, can't abide James Martin, & I find Nigel Slater's idea of what constitutes a basic storecupboard ingredient pretentious in the extreme. Lorraine Pascale leaves me cold. Dead behind the eyes.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

No apostrophe in the word others in the context you use it.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Can't stand Jamie Oliver's Mockney banter, although oddly I do like his cooking.

Don't mind the Hairy Bikers, can't abide James Martin, & I find Nigel Slater's idea of what constitutes a basic storecupboard ingredient pretentious in the extreme. Lorraine Pascale leaves me cold. Dead behind the eyes.
Couldn't agree more with all of that - and may I add in Rick Stein, who, from the tone of his shows set outside the UK, appears to believe that he is the only person from the UK to ever travel abroad.

Best cookery program ever was the two series' of 'Two Greedy Italians', mostly just for the relationship between Gennaro and Antonio, and the way they talked about their early lives in Italy.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There are too many of them. Their editing is too slow and boring. Quite like Simon Hopkinson. And while we're on Italy, those shows with Giorgio Locatelli and Andrew Graham-Dixon (whose art shows are fantastic -- art is so much better for telly than cooking is) are great.
Floyd was a laugh, too. Masterchef The Professionals is genius, if only they could get rid of that gurning boiled egg.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I got really into Masterchef Professionals the last 2 years. It makes way too much drama out of the mundane but I do enjoy it.
Not many celebrity chefs I like and Bake Off, from the ten minutes I saw of it was one of the most monumental arse fests I have ever born witness to.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I got really into Masterchef Professionals the last 2 years. It makes way too much drama out of the mundane but I do enjoy it.
Not many celebrity chefs I like and Bake Off, from the ten minutes I saw of it was one of the most monumental arse fests I have ever born witness to.

Too many cookery progs contain a "challenge " or a vote off or some kind of whittling down process which involves the same faux cliches being trotted out " I can't go out this week, not this close to the finals " " I have to pull out all the stops " " If I don't get through ... my life is over ".

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
no, as where I live, it would either be a Cat, Dog or an OAP

People need variety in their diet. It would make a change from all that badger and hunt saboteur casserole you get out in the countryside..

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Couldn't agree more with all of that - and may I add in Rick Stein, who, from the tone of his shows set outside the UK, appears to believe that he is the only person from the UK to ever travel abroad.

Best cookery program ever was the two series' of 'Two Greedy Italians', mostly just for the relationship between Gennaro and Antonio, and the way they talked about their early lives in Italy.

The Hairy Bikers are touring Asia for their current BBC series. I glanced at the accompanying cookbook in Sainsbury's earlier. Made me very hungry indeed. I don't buy a lot of cookbooks but that one might tempt me.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Too many cookery progs contain a "challenge " or a vote off or some kind of whittling down process which involves the same faux cliches being trotted out " I can't go out this week, not this close to the finals " " I have to pull out all the stops " " If I don't get through ... my life is over ".

Too many programmes of any genre, surely?

See also X Factor, Britain's Got Talent, The Voice, etc etc

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
People need variety in their diet. It would make a change from all that badger and hunt saboteur casserole you get out in the countryside..

I quite like the taste of a nice Beaver.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here