Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Striker

Blue and White Tiger

Exiled to Exeter
Jul 6, 2010
All I'm hearing from Brighton fans is 'we need a new striker because we don't score enough goals.'

THIS ISN'T TRUE.

We have in my opinion one of the best, if not the best, strikers in the division. He's scoring at a very good rate, and most clubs would pay a lot of money to have him.

Therefore he will play a high percentage of our games, and most of our minutes. We play one upfront as in modern football this is the correct formation to play.

I will give my fellow Brighton fans the benefit of the doubt that they don't want Ulloa to be replaced. So my question is why spend a lot of money (which it would cost) to get another proven goalscorer in to play the small amount of minutes that aren't played by Ulloa?

We should be recruiting young and promising strikers to learn from Ulloa and give us options off of the bench.

Why not spend that money on improving our goalscoring options from midfield, which at the moment are well below par?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Agree with you there fella, I think we need to improve the quality available to us on the flanks, but it's a difficult situation for the club. We have March, KLL and Buckley who can play the outside forward role, but the injuries are just too common for these guys which means we have to use sLopez or Orlandi as the wide men, they have the technical ability but not the pace required to be threat from this position. I'd like to have seen us get Jordan Ibe from Liverpool or someone similar.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
All I'm hearing from Brighton fans is 'we need a new striker because we don't score enough goals.'

THIS ISN'T TRUE.

We have in my opinion one of the best, if not the best, strikers in the division. He's scoring at a very good rate, and most clubs would pay a lot of money to have him.

Therefore he will play a high percentage of our games, and most of our minutes. We play one upfront as in modern football this is the correct formation to play.

I will give my fellow Brighton fans the benefit of the doubt that they don't want Ulloa to be replaced. So my question is why spend a lot of money (which it would cost) to get another proven goalscorer in to play the small amount of minutes that aren't played by Ulloa?

We should be recruiting young and promising strikers to learn from Ulloa and give us options off of the bench.

Why not spend that money on improving our goalscoring options from midfield, which at the moment are well below par?

101% this

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
We need to play with two up. like a lot of other clubs are doing. So yes, we do need another striker. But if as I suspect, we won't change the one up front, then the likes of Obika, is the best we can expect to get. Because anyone decent, is not going to come here to sit on the bench for 85 mins and get 5 mins, if they are lucky.

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
If I was manager (thank f*ck I'm not.) then I'd be looking at a utility player who could play up-top as a target man or as an inside forward.

An example would be Jay Emmanuel-Thomas at Bristol City. Massively talented player who has seen his career stall. Scored 11 in 19 when used as a striker for Bristol City this season, but isn't being used as a forward by Coterrill and has found his game-time reduced to the odd start as a winger (Where he's been pretty good) or more often then not as a substitute.

Big, Strong, Fast and has a good end product. He wouldn't cost too much, and if we could make him more consistent we'd have a gem on our hands. Bristol City need to sell too:
http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sell-J...mits-Bristol/story-20061184-detail/story.html

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing

THIS ISN'T TRUE.

Funny how all the teams above us play 2 upfront and score alot more goals than us . Out of interest which teams that play only 1 upfront are getting any success ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It's up to Tony isn't it?

We were on track for meeting FFP targets, then received 3.75 million for Bridcutt, 750k for Barnes and 500k+ from the cup run.

Stephens was 650k and obviously Rodriguez costs something.

So, plenty of coins left to get another striker if Tony wants. Wages not really an issue with regards to FFP, given the 4million+ surplus.

No guarantees that Hoskins and CMS won't get setbacks.

If Leo gets injured we write off the season.

Let's get a decent striker in.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
we cant just leave it to ulloa to score the goals we need to help him and take the pressure off him with goals from the likes of stephens lopez orlandi lua lua buckley and others

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Chris Wood isn't getting into the leicester team regularly.

Blue and White Tiger

Exiled to Exeter
Jul 6, 2010
Funny how all the teams above us play 2 upfront and score alot more goals than us . Out of interest which teams that play only 1 upfront are getting any success ?
Barcelona. Bayern Munich. Arsenal. Chelsea.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not think anybody is suggesting we need a striker to replace Ulloa but to complement him and relieve some of the pressure on him. IF CMS & Hoskins were fit we wouldnt have a problem but who knows when they will be back in contention for the first team if at all this season. We need somebody who knows where the back of the net is whether he is classed as midfielder striker winger whatever. Due to the situation with CMS &Hoskins a 93 day loan is the obvious move.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

THIS ISN'T TRUE.

ever heard the quote ' all eggs in 1 basket ' recipe for disaster if Ulloa heaven forbid gets injured again. He is already carrying a ankle injury. So yes we do need another striker until either Hoskins or Cms get match fit

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He is too similar to Ulloa so it would be either or. Leicester may consider that him helping us beat those around them would help them so possibly say yes. I would sooner Sunderland beat Hull and they lend us Fryatt as he will be surplus to requirements once out of the cup.

tommynockers

Dec 6, 2013
Barcelona. Bayern Munich. Arsenal. Chelsea.

For a team to play one up front and be very successful you need to have pin point passing to that player. Hence why the four teams you mention are four of the best passing teams in the world. Unfortunately we are not of that quality. I'm not saying two forward is the answer but it's defo worth a thought.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's a good point, particularly in view of the other strikers we have that are returning from injury. But Ulloa can't play every minute of every game, and the minutes he doesn't play are important, so what can we do? I'd hope to loan a premiership striker that's not currently getting a game on a short term loan (someone that could be recalled), just to help while we wait for CMS and Hoskins. Obika doesn't seem to be good enough in the short term, so I'm not really sure why he's here. Maybe we're considering him for the long term.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
The trouble is that after a "Striker " has scored a hand full of goals,the scouts fall over each other to get a look at him.The striker then thinks he is Wayne Rooney and wants huge amounts of money.Add the fact that every club wants one then,IMO its best make your own , Goodwin and Dickenson are the next ,maybe ......?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
When Leo's close to the goal he usually scores. So we need to keep Ulloa up the pitch and not dropping deep or to the flanks to get the ball. If you don't go two up top then you definitely need a no.10 (or a very attacking midfielder) to play between the lines. Only Vicente ever really gave us this no.10 option. Crofts was starting to play the advanced attacking midfielder role. Maybe Stephens will take over that role now and try and get close to Ulloa.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here