Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Credit where credits due

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
This board has seen an explosion of accusation, finger-pointing and blame at almost every individual at our beloved club. Rarely has there been so many threads started on one performance.

I've read through most of the posts and opinions are divided [as always on here] about who should shoulder the blame. Only one or two have really given any credit to Hull and I can't recall any mention of Steve Bruce and his tactics. Gordon Strachan said before the game that Brighton are a passing side and the way to combat that is to press high up the field to see just how well they can maintain it while under pressure. The formation and players Bruce selected did exactly this and the outcome was that we had many passes go astray and more often than usual we were forced to play the long ball.

Can't remember whether it was at half or full time that Strachan said Brighton have been "out-footballed" [or words to that effect]. Spot on, I think Hull had done their homework on us and neutralised our preferred way of playing.

Yes, some of our players did not play to the best of their abilities but the reason for this, in my view, is the tactics played by Hull and, for me, Hull won the game with their preparation [homework] on us and that is where the credit is due.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
We were very poor but didn't get spanked - if it hadn't been for some calamitous goal keeping and a deflection we might even have sneaked a result - albeit on penalties because we never going to score two.

The team tried hard but were a bit outpaced and overall outclassed.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
This board has seen an explosion of accusation, finger-pointing and blame at almost every individual at our beloved club. Rarely has there been so many threads started on one performance.

I've read through most of the posts and opinions are divided [as always on here] about who should shoulder the blame. Only one or two have really given any credit to Hull and I can't recall any mention of Steve Bruce and his tactics. Gordon Strachan said before the game that Brighton are a passing side and the way to combat that is to press high up the field to see just how well they can maintain it while under pressure. The formation and players Bruce selected did exactly this and the outcome was that we had many passes go astray and more often than usual we were forced to play the long ball.

Can't remember whether it was at half or full time that Strachan said Brighton have been "out-footballed" [or words to that effect]. Spot on, I think Hull had done their homework on us and neutralised our preferred way of playing.

Yes, some of our players did not play to the best of their abilities but the reason for this, in my view, is the tactics played by Hull and, for me, Hull won the game with their preparation [homework] on us and that is where the credit is due.

So what you are saying is that OG is to blame for the defeat by not countering Steve Bruce's tactics, or if he did have a counter plan then the players are at fault for either not being able to carry out the plan or put far more simply either Steve Bruce is a better manager than OG or the players he fielded are better than the ones OG did.

In other words we are back at square one :)

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I think, since we got into the Championship, apart from Arsenal, and Liverpool, home and away, Hull have been the team who impressed me the most. Last season they were excellent, and the first season at the Amex, I thought they were the best side we played in the division

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Brighton and Hove Albion are the best team in the world. It can never be that somebody else is better than them that we lost - it is always our own fault

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
So what you are saying is that OG is to blame for the defeat by not countering Steve Bruce's tactics, or if he did have a counter plan then the players are at fault for either not being able to carry out the plan or put far more simply either Steve Bruce is a better manager than OG or the players he fielded are better than the ones OG did.

In other words we are back at square one :)

No, what he is saying is that hull are a premiership team with, currently, better players than us. This, together with a well executed game plan, assisted by a goalkeeping howler was the reason for the defeat.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
No, what he is saying is that hull are a premiership team with, currently, better players than us. This, together with a well executed game plan, assisted by a goalkeeping howler was the reason for the defeat.

Isn't that exactly what I said, either better players or better plan/manager ;)

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
We beat Hull 1-0 last year in the championship, nut they were the most organised, they could have won 3-1 but for not hitting the target.

With regard to the ranting on here, too many are taking it personally because it was on television. Hull beat Cardiff 4=0 away and we lost 2-1. Our performance was not as bad as many on here have made out and we did pressurise for a second late in the game. Clearly OG altered his strategy at half time which resulted in us scoring and nearly securing a draw. But for an individual error and a bad decision by the officials it would have been a different outcome, I have no complaints

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

The biggest disappointment for me was that it took Oscar so long to change things. I can only guess that March and Lualua weren't fit to play more than a half.

You could tell after 20 minutes that we'd set up wrong. Hull played the perfect game to nullify us.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
We beat Hull 1-0 last year in the championship, nut they were the most organised, they could have won 3-1 but for not hitting the target.

With regard to the ranting on here, too many are taking it personally because it was on television. Hull beat Cardiff 4=0 away and we lost 2-1. Our performance was not as bad as many on here have made out and we did pressurise for a second late in the game. Clearly OG altered his strategy at half time which resulted in us scoring and nearly securing a draw. But for an individual error and a bad decision by the officials it would have been a different outcome, I have no complaints

I take it you weren't there! I think if you had spent five hours driving to Hull, feeling cold and 'looking forward' to a long drive home then you might have a different opinion! Certainly most of the fans I spoke to on the night don't share your assessment.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
I take it you weren't there! I think if you had spent five hours driving to Hull, feeling cold and 'looking forward' to a long drive home then you might have a different opinion! Certainly most of the fans I spoke to on the night don't share your assessment.

I was there and I am fed up of the negativity on here, I know, I know, it's hardly surprising that people are slagging everyone off. For the first half, yes we were awful. Oscar wasn't happy at all and so he introduced Kaz at half time and for the majority of the second half, we were the better team. We had a couple of close chances and then got one back and had another couple of good chances near the end, we could have taken it to extra time but Hull did well to see out the win and were overall the better team of the night. I, for one, enjoyed last night, bar the result. Had that cup feeling and the atmosphere was great and now I am aware that you will all probably rip into this, bring on the negativity!

Also, it was a game of football, we lost. Funnily enough this happens in football. No one can win every game ever. We will lose games here and there but we need to stick behind the team, management whatever.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I was there and I am fed up of the negativity on here, I know, I know, it's hardly surprising that people are slagging everyone off. For the first half, yes we were awful. Oscar wasn't happy at all and so he introduced Kaz at half time and for the majority of the second half, we were the better team. We had a couple of close chances and then got one back and had another couple of good chances near the end, we could have taken it to extra time but Hull did well to see out the win and were overall the better team of the night. I, for one, enjoyed last night, bar the result. Had that cup feeling and the atmosphere was great and now I am aware that you will all probably rip into this, bring on the negativity!

Also, it was a game of football, we lost. Funnily enough this happens in football. No one can win every game ever. We will lose games here and there but we need to stick behind the team, management whatever.

Of course we will lose games - statistically more away games are lost than at home games - anyone travelling to an away game expects that.

I didn't say I didn't enjoy the trip either but that was mainly down to the atmosphere and because once Ulloa scored that goal we were in with a chance - the point I'm making is that seeing a game on TV and watching the same game at some far flung stadium can influence the way in which a game is perceived.

As far as I am concerned the first half had very little to recommend it as a spectacle and whilst I agree that for the last half hour of the game we played far better than previously, overall it was a poor performance which I believe was down to, for whatever reasons, the decision by OG not to field his 'first team'.

'Not as bad as some have made out' - possibly but by no means a performance to remember. It is easy to make 'excuses' for the team's performance from the comfort of an armchair, not so easy from the stand.

You say you are "fed up with negativity" over the team selected and its performance - you are of course entitled to that opinion but personally overall I saw very little in those areas to be positive about

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I was there and agree with Brighton Mod.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I was there and agree with Brighton Mod.

So like Brighton Mod you have 'no complaints' - fine, maybe I am the one who is wrong and there was nothing to complain about - God help us and our chance of staying in the Championship though if we play the first half of every game in the way we played against Hull!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You say you are "fed up with negativity" over the team selected and its performance - you are of course entitled to that opinion but personally overall I saw very little in those areas to be positive about

No - he said he's fed up with the negativity on here. And I'd add that specifically with you I don't think I've ever read a positive post from you regarding the current Albion set-up. It's a constant drip, drip, drip of criticism and sarcasm. You're clearly not having any fun supporting the Albion. I think you're doing it wrong.

I'm with Petee, we played badly last night. So what? I went on a run of about 15 away games last season and this (under Poyet and Garcia) without seeing us win. Christ there was some dire football at times but I had a great time at each of them. We're not the world's greatest team, there's 22 other teams in our league (some with much, much bigger budgets) who don't think we've got a divine right to win and with a new manager and a bucketload of injuries we've performed miracles at times to be where we are. Enjoy the ride and stop moaning.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So like Brighton Mod you have 'no complaints' - fine, maybe I am the one who is wrong and there was nothing to complain about - God help us and our chance of staying in the Championship though if we play the first half of every game in the way we played against Hull!

We've played several games already where the first half has been awful.

I went without any expectations, in fact I predicted a 2-0 loss in Steve Foster's thread. I hoped that we could do something but up til last night we hadn't ever scored a goal at the KC.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Gordon Strachan said before the game that Brighton are a passing side and the way to combat that is to press high up the field to see just how well they can maintain it while under pressure. The formation and players Bruce selected did exactly this and the outcome was that we had many passes go astray and more often than usual we were forced to play the long ball.

So we played a premier league team, at their ground, and they had to concentrate on neutralising our style, and they scored one joke of a goal and one that was offside, while we scored one good goal and hit the bar. I'm not sure they deserve much credit for that.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
No - he said he's fed up with the negativity on here. And I'd add that specifically with you I don't think I've ever read a positive post from you regarding the current Albion set-up. It's a constant drip, drip, drip of criticism and sarcasm. You're clearly not having any fun supporting the Albion. I think you're doing it wrong.

I'm with Petee, we played badly last night. So what? I went on a run of about 15 away games last season and this (under Poyet and Garcia) without seeing us win. Christ there was some dire football at times but I had a great time at each of them. We're not the world's greatest team, there's 22 other teams in our league (some with much, much bigger budgets) who don't think we've got a divine right to win and with a new manager and a bucketload of injuries we've performed miracles at times to be where we are. Enjoy the ride and stop moaning.

Completely agree. I do wonder at times whether people almost enjoy seeing us lose. We've lost twice by a single goal and all of a sudden some people seem to have gone into meltdown.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

You've obviously not read many!

I am more than happy to offer praise where praise is due and there is a lot to be happy with whilst supporting the Albion.

Likewise there are some things I don't like - and yes, I am not shy about making those dislikes clear.

All very clever trying to make the 'negativity' which Petee expressed a dislike for into a personal attack but however you try to dress it up the negativity that has been expressed regarding the Hull match has all been directed at the way we performed.

You say, "Christ there was some dire football at times but I had a great time at each of them"

I said, "I didn't say I didn't enjoy the trip either but that was mainly down to the atmosphere and because once Ulloa scored that goal we were in with a chance"

Not exactly the same words but very little difference in sentiments.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here