Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Potential Striker Signing...Ashley Barnes?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
24 years old
Very good League One scoring record, pretty good in Championship considering playing in all sorts of positions
Improving year on year
Works his ARSE off for the team
Called Ashley Barnes

Sign him up!

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
24 years old
Very good League One scoring record, pretty good in Championship considering playing in all sorts of positions
Improving year on year
Called Ashley Barnes

Sign him up!

.....Would cost too much... !

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
24 years old
Improving year on year
Called Ashley Barnes

Sign him up!

I for the life of me could never understand why he had to go for the sake of a few bob to be replaced with two(Obika& Rodders) who have yet to hit the goalscoring trail.
does really take me back to Wendys era when every time we looked like getting into the top 6 we failed in some way.
sorry to say if this continues and we do not get into the top 6 there will be quite a few who will not renew the ST option, where then will all this penny pinching get us and if the FA/league in their pomposity do not punish those who have not towed the FFP line, those clubs who have laughed off FFP will be looking down from the heady heights of the premier and top end of the championship wondering along with us whatever happened to the Albion dream

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
24 years old
Improving year on year
Called Ashley Barnes

Sign him up!

Who's that man we sold to Burnley
Who's that man that no one liked
Ashley Barnes is his name and now everyone thinks he's god
At least it's not Murray anymore

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Who's that man we sold to Burnley
Who's that man that no one liked
Ashley Barnes is his name and now everyone thinks he's god
At least it's not Murray anymore

Not really. A lot of people thought he was good when he was here and shouldn't have been sold. Nothing's changed.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
He does not want to play for us. He would rather sit on a bench in Lancashire.

But Oscar had shown no willingness to start him if Ulloa was fit.
So if it was that simple he chose more money and long contract and waiting for one of two players to injure themselves, or staying here and waiting for one player to injure themself.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
But Oscar had shown no willingness to start him if Ulloa was fit.
So if it was that simple he chose more money and long contract and waiting for one of two players to injure themselves, or staying here and waiting for one player to injure themself.

I have no idea why he wanted to go. Logic suggests that he would have got more game time here than there, so I assume it was for the money. Or perhaps he prefers the Burnley nightlife! :)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I for the life of me could never understand why he had to go for the sake of a few bob to be replaced with two(Obika& Rodders) who have yet to hit the goalscoring trail.
does really take me back to Wendys era when every time we looked like getting into the top 6 we failed in some way.
sorry to say if this continues and we do not get into the top 6 there will be quite a few who will not renew the ST option, where then will all this penny pinching get us and if the FA/league in their pomposity do not punish those who have not towed the FFP line, those clubs who have laughed off FFP will be looking down from the heady heights of the premier and top end of the championship wondering along with us whatever happened to the Albion dream

Penny pinching? TB has donated over 100 million pounds to this club from his own pocket. FFP or no FFP he can't bankroll the club forever.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

Frankly I find this all a tad tiresome now.

Barnes has gone, wasn't particularly prolific as a striker, didn't want to sign a new contract with us, so we cashed in £.75m with the alternative being sweet FA in the summer [left on a free].

Finally, you do yourself no credibility with your quote: "Obika & Rodders have yet to hit the goalscoring trail." Please check who scored away at Port Vale. I'm sure its been done to death, but Barnes' goals-per-minute on the pitch was poor - yes I know strikers need other skills too like holding the ball up - and just how many minutes has Rodders had on the pitch to settle into our way of playing.

Please, enough .......

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Or we didn't want him here and offered him a pitiful contract? Who knows? Not us.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Frankly I find this all a tad tiresome now.

Barnes has gone, wasn't particularly prolific as a striker, didn't want to sign a new contract with us, so we cashed in £.75m with the alternative being sweet FA in the summer [left on a free].

Finally, you do yourself no credibility with your quote: "Obika & Rodders have yet to hit the goalscoring trail." Please check who scored away at Port Vale. I'm sure its been done to death, but Barnes' goals-per-minute on the pitch was poor - yes I know strikers need other skills too like holding the ball up - and just how many minutes has Rodders had on the pitch to settle into our way of playing.

Please, enough .......

100% THIS. The MOST overrated player we have had in my 25 years of watching us. Move on!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

He swopped sitting on our bench for sitting on Burnleys, this suggests 2 things to me, 1 he is either earning more money or 2 he has a longer contract. If it is 2 that means if they get promoted within the next couple of years, as we should do, they will be left with a player not good enough for the Premier rather than us.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here