Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any Barnes haters going to admit we are missing him yet?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Just a question like.

I'm no where near as down as a lot of people seem on here after the last couple of results. I thought we played well against Wigan and gave away two sloppy goals and last night, well it was the FA Cup, we had a good run and it came to an end.

What i'm really bothered about is the lack of fight we seem to be missing in the team and we are really missing what Barnes used to offer in my opinion. We can't have him back and I know its just another one of those threads, but I'd be intrested to know, if the Barnes haters are starting to realise he offered a lot more than they originally thought.

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
i wasn't a hater but i reckon we made a massive mistake selling him. I know he was out of contract in the summer, but he seems to have been the only player who fought for the team. Attack and defence, chasing back and holding the ball up. No-one has replaced that and we miss that kind of player.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Barnes and Crofts. Two players who pretty much always give 100%.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
We are not missing Barnes, just a second decent striker.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Wasn't his biggest fan but always thought he had potential, why he infuriated me.

Could always see a glimpse of a good player but gave the ball away to many times for my liking. Someone else will benefit from his learning curve at our club. Shame we are not going to see his best years.

Saying that he has now gone as he would rather sit on the bench at Burnley, need to let it go.

Same as Marshy, Barnes was an amazing trier but I don't think a top 6 champ player/lower table Prem player. I'd be just as frustrated seeing him picked out wide as I am with Lopez, Rodriquez etc. Be interesting to see if he gets a game for Burnley the rest of the year.

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
Not missed at all. Not much difference between him and Rodriguez. I guess Barnes popped up with the odd goal/penalty now and again but Rodriquez is still new to the squad

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Conceded from corners against Hull and Wigan, and almost in first Hull game. Of course it's not as simple as to say that wouldn't have happened if he was still here but no-one can deny his usefulness in defending set pieces. The match I think we missed him most was Watford away, really needed someone to help Leo with holding the ball up, slowing down play and showing a little fight when under pressure. I wish we had done more to keep him personally and taken the risk of losing at end of season, as we found out with Murray replacing players is not easy.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was never a Barnes hater, and I still think we did the right thing to sell him (given that he didn't want to sign a new contract). I'd rather have had Grabban, but we have limited funds - which is why it was right to let Barnes go.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I was never a Barnes hater, and I still think we did the right thing to sell him (given that he didn't want to sign a new contract). I'd rather have had Grabban, but we have limited funds - which is why it was right to let Barnes go.

Impossible to say whether it was the right thing or not unless any of us know the exact details of the contracts being offered.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
No moved on.

I'm quite relieved really that i dont have to watch a grown man flop to the floor after every powder puff challenge.
Having said that i'm thinking Lua Lua has picked up that baton.

and before some smart arse pipes up with "well it wins us free kicks around the box, clever play "etc, its not for me.

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
Hahaha I wondered when this would appear. Ashley would either have a great game or a nightmare, which is what I found so annoying or frustrating about him. Had he been consistent in his performances and put away even a third of his chances then Barney would have been mentioned alongside the likes of Bobby, Wardy and Dean Saunders. But unfortunately he never, and a striker is remembered for his goals not team play.
Besides how many of us wished we had the bottle to trip a shite ref. Good luck to Barney for when he finally applies himself the potential some of us saw in him will shine through and people will say "Why did we sell him"

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
What have Barnes, Bridcut, Al-Abd and Crofts have in common? All give 100% effort and never hide no matter how badly they may be playing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here